Dr Alimantado - Born For A Purpose/Reson For Living
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 25, 2008
Dr Alimantado, born Winston Thompson, also known as The Ital Surgeon (Kingston, 1952-) is a Jamaican reggae singer, DJ and producer.http://www.doctoralimantado.com/
He started to record very young under various names (Prince Winston, Winston Cool or Youth Winston). His first recordings were for Lee "Scratch" Perry and Bunny Lee - "Place Called Africa Version 3" and "Maccabee Version". He returned to Lee Perry in 1976, recording the DJ portion of Devon Irons 12" "Ketch Vampire". Between 1971 and 1977 his singles were unreleased outside Jamaica, only being available in the UK on import. He built his reputation with tunes such as "Oil Crisis" ( versioning Horace Andy's "Ain't No Sunshine"), "Sons of Thunder", (toasting over Jackie Brown's "Wiser Dread"), "Gimme Mi Gun" on Gregory Isaacs' "Thief a Man" and "Poison Flour", on a recut of the Paragons "Man Next Door" rhythm. He mainly met success in the mid to late 1970s, with his best known album being Best Dressed Chicken in Town (1978), a Greensleeves Records collection of tracks recorded in the mid-70s, featuring Alimantado toasting over singers such as John Holt, Gregory Isaacs, Jackie Edwards and Horace Andy. His tunes mixed his Rastafarianism with commentary on events then going on in his community; "Poison Flour" referenced a recent incident when a number of local Kingstonians had been poisoned by eating bread made with contaminated flour. Alimantado became popular with punk rockers in the '70s following Johnny Rotten praising him in an interview. He was mentioned in The Clash song Rudie Can't Fail in the line "Like the doctor who was born for a purpose".
Alimantado's biggest hits were "A Place Called Africa" and "Born for a Purpose". The latter song was originally released on his Vital Food label, and told of his Rastafarian faith supporting him after bus driver had driven into him in Kingston on December 26th 1976, causing serious injuries. The musicians who played on the record did so without payment. The single, and its accompanying version "Still Alive" were released in the UK firstly as two 7" 45s, then as a 12", featuring the full extended mixes. By 1977 he had largely abandoned his toasting style, apart from occasional records such as "Go Deh Natty Go Deh" on a heavily dubbed mix of Delroy Wilson's "Trying to Conquer Me", preferring to release singing tunes, including "Mama (I Thank You)", "Jah Love Forever", and a cover of Billy Stewart's "Sitting In the Park".
Following the success of "Best Dressed Chicken" and its follow-up compilation "Sons of Thunder" he signed to Virgin Records as a singer. While not without vocal talent, his singing records never captured the public imagination to the extent that his "toasting" records did.
Since 1983 he has only worked as a producer, his last recording appearing to be "Stop Your Fighting" for the Mad Professor's Ariwa label, on a Channel One remake of Horace Andy's "Fever" rhythm. He is a member of the Rastafari movement.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr_Alima...
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Born For A Purpose" on
- 1:55 ITAL DOCTRINE RASTA REASONING with THE CARIBBEAN CONNECTION TV.wmvby DAVID CHENFeatured 7,312
- 7:36 Gregory Isaacs -Exclusive Interview with Gregoryby kockos 67,307 views
- 3:45 Kevin Isaacs & Daniel Brown/Performing Captain Of the Shipby kevinisaacs 39,595 views
- 3:21 JACOB MILLER : We a rockersby rasorder 1,020,690 views
- 3:17 Hugh Mundell (1962-83) & Augustus Pablo (1954-99) RIP - Jah Will Provide-(2010 VIDEO IN HD)♫by conquerorthefirst 56,983 views
- 71 videos Play all dancehall slacknessby MrSunnythedog
- 3:24 GREGORY ISAACS : Tune inby rasorder 1,623,701 views
- 4:55 DENNIS BROWN- BLACK LIBERATION DAY!by rasta redz sween 67,889 views
- 6:39 Rokia Traorè, Mbifoby ziggolo77 154,705 views
- 3:17 Dennis Brown-man next door live jamaicaby kockos 197,728 views
- 3:07 Horace Andy - Children of Israelby afrorules 114,297 views
- 2:08 The Paragons - Man Next Doorby browningbbw 204,216 views
- 6:12 THE CONGOS live PARIS 2010by nomadevideo 284,726 views
- 3:38 Lee Perry - Return Of The Super Apeby jam1tune 97,443 views
- 2:51 Alimantado - Best Dressed Chicken 1975by lardsah 8,029 views
- 3:50 Lee Perry - Super Apeby TehSponge01 344,620 views
- 2:57 Junior Byles - Curly Locksby RootsDaughter41926 53,217 views
- 4:10 Horace Andy - Mr. Bassieby IAmTheGorgon 273,368 views
- 6:00 Burn Babylon, Burning Version Sylford Walkerby rockersszzz 96,330 views
- 2:54 the Itals-In A Dis Ya Timeby bashnell123 84,946 views
- 2:49 Horace Andy "Skylarking"by donovanuk1 579,427 views
- Loading more suggestions...