Bigger Thomas - Sugar, Sugar (The Archies Cover)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 6, 2012
From '' m'boy y'know ''
Label: Dugong Records -- 19925
Format: Cassete, EP
1. I Can't Remember My Name
2. (That's Not What I) Mento
3. It's Been Done
4. I Live At Home
5. King For A Day
6. Sugar Sugar
Jimmy Allington - Vocals, Keyboards
Michael Bailey - Trombone
John Dlbianco -- Drums
Dave Homan -- Saxophone
Sean Moore - Trumpet, Baritone
Stephen Parker -- Guitars
Kevin Shields -- Trumpet
Marc Wasserman - Bass
Produced and engineered by Jimmy Allington.
Recorded winter 1991-1992
Right At Home Studios, Princeton, NJ.
"Sugar, Sugar" is a pop song written by Jeff Barry and Andy Kim.
It was a four-week 1969 number-one hit single by fictional characters The Archies.
Produced by Jeff Barry, the song was originally released on the album Everything's Archie.
The album is the product of a group of studio musicians managed by Don Kirshner.
Ron Dante's lead vocals were accompanied by those of Toni Wine (who sang the line "I'm gonna make your life so sweet"), and Andy Kim.
Together they provided the voices of the Archies using multitracking.
When the song was initially released, Kirshner had promotion men play it for radio station execs without telling them the name of the group (due to the somewhat disappointing chart performance of the Archies' previous single, "Bang-Shang-a-Lang", which went to number 22 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts).
Only after most of the DJs liked the song were they told that it was performed by a cartoon group.
The Archies' hit wound up as one of the biggest (and most unexpected) number-one hits of the year, one of the biggest bubblegum hits of all time, both in America and in Great Britain, thanks partly to association with the hit CBS-TV Saturday morning cartoon series.
The Archies' "Sugar, Sugar" was the 1969 number-one single of the year.
A week after topping the RPM 100 national singles chart in Canada on September 13, 1969 (where it spent three weeks), it went on to spend four weeks at the top of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 from September 20 and eight weeks at the top of the UK singles chart.
The song lists at number 63 on Billboard's Greatest Songs of All Time.
It also peaked at one in the South African Singles Chart.
On February 5, 2006, "Sugar, Sugar" was inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, as co-writer Andy Kim is originally from Montreal, Quebec.
The song is said to have been earlier offered to The Monkees (although songwriter Jeff Barry, in an interview published in the book Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth, says this is not true), although additional rumors that it was recorded using session musicians with Davy Jones providing all the vocals, but never released, are false.
Don Kirshner has said that Mike Nesmith put his fist through the wall of the Beverly Hills Hotel refusing to do "Sugar, Sugar".
Jones confirmed that Kirshner had offered it to them, but stated they turned it down, and he never recorded it.
The band thought it seemed cheesy and at that point they were looking to mature their sound. However, Monkees archival expert Andrew Sandoval has suggested that the band may instead actually have been offered a tune called "Sugar Man", but with the passage of time the parties involved simply mis-remembered it as being "Sugar, Sugar", in large part because it made a better anecdote.
British producer and singer Jonathan King recorded a rock version of the song in 1971 that went to number 12 on the UK singles chart and sold 400,000 copies under the name Sakkarin.
It was covered by Dutch group Stars on 45 as part of their medley "Stars on 45 (song)", which went to number 1 in the US in June of 1981.
Wilson Pickett also covered the song in his Criteria Studios sessions.
The song was included in the 1995 movie Now and Then and appears in the movie's soundtrack album. It is also used as the opening theme for the hit television series Cake Boss.
Former President George W. Bush has said "Sugar, Sugar" is one of his favorite songs. The song played in Jenna Bush's wedding party in May 2008.
Although official music recording sales certifications were not introduced in the United Kingdom until the British Phonographic Industry was formed in 1973, Disc introduced an initiative in 1959 to present a gold record to singles that sold over one million units.
The awards relied on record companies correctly compiling and supplying sales information, and "Sugar, Sugar" was erroneously awarded a gold disc in January 1970 having sold approximately 945,000 copies; the RCA informed Disc that one million copies had been shipped, however not all were sold. Nevertheless, following the introduction of music downloads in 2004, "Sugar, Sugar" passed the one-million sales mark.
In the United States, "Sugar, Sugar" was classified by the RIAA as a gold record in August 1969, meaning it sold 1 million units.
The single also topped the 1969 Billboard Year-End chart.
Standard YouTube License
- 32 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Bigger Thomas - Sugar, Sugar (The Archies Cover)
- 1:12:57 BISROCK SONG COMPILATIONby bisdak love song andrew4,846 views
- 1:18:10 NORTE DE ESPAÑA, LA MEJOR MUSICA RELAX, RELAJANTE, THE BEST RELAXING MUSIC, RELAXATIONby RELAX Y MEDITACION765 views
- 9:48 Stars On 45 - Beatles Medley (12" mix)by origin4000459,860 views
- 4:53 Alfie Boe & John Owen Jones 'Bring Him Home' at Royal Albert Hall 08.04.13 HDby Linda Wellington53,016 views
- 5:12 The Skatalites en Argentina - Sugar sugar (Verdadero Video Oficial)by nestarocker18,842 views
- 3:57 Besame mucho - saxo -by lalosax2006267,010 views
- 3:08 ILEANA CABRA - LA PAREDby Christopher Gregory Barrón Bravo140,464 views
- 6:41 Sugar Sugar remixby caracolinho8766,166 views
- 4:39 Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra Feat. Angelo Moore - All Good Ska is Oneby Ulises Delgadillo3,175 views
- 2:55 The Archies - "Sugar Sugar" (The Archie Show)by joramma2028,122 views
- 10:00 Bigger Thomas Live @ City Gardens 9/29/89by marcodw171,112 views
- 6:09 skatalites - in the mood for ska - sugar sugar feat doreen shafferby Grégory NICOLAS7,420 views
- 6:01 Sugar Eyes - Sugar Eyesby SugarEyesVEVO1,974,846 views
- 3:35 Pitbull - Timber ft. Ke$haby PitbullVEVO13,559,687 views
- 3:25 Sugar Sugar Archies Ron Dante Coverby Larry L24,411 views
- 4:47 Stars On 45 - Stars On 45 (Original Single Version)by redbullet314,781 views
- 3:07 My Choice 596 - The Archies: Sugar Sugarby malpen0431,907 views
- 2:26 The Archies - Sugar Sugar ('69)by Valhalla8452,412,672 views
- 2:40 The Archies - Jingle Jangle (Original 1969 Music Video)by windsorbear306,934 views
- 2:04 The Archies - Sugar Sugarby carann530,653 views
- Loading more suggestions...