Self-reliance in LA: backyard farming + radical home ec
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 20, 2013
Erik Knutzen and Kelly Coyne have been farming their yard in Los Angeles for over a decade. In addition to a mini orchard and extensive veggie garden, they have all the instruments of an urban homestead: chickens, bees, rainwater capture, DIY greywater, solar fruit preserver, humanure toilet, rocket stove, adobe oven. But they don't like to talk about sustainability of self-sufficiency, instead they prefer the term self-reliance.
"I don't like the goal of self-sufficiency, I think it's a fool's errand to chase that goal," explains Knutzen. "I think we live in communities, human beings are meant to live, and trade and work together. I think self-reliance is okay, in other words, knowing how to do things."
Knutzen and Coyne share their tinkering, DIY and small scale urban agriculture experiments on their blog Root Simple and in their books "The Urban Homestead: Your Guide to Self-Sufficient Living in the Heart of the City" and "Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post Consumer World". They believe in the value of shop classes and old-school home economics (back when you learned how to make things, not shop for things).
For the couple, their true goal with all of this self-reliance is freedom to live as they please. By growing their own and canning, pickling, preserving, freezing and baking their own breads and beans, they live frugally. They also only own one car (plus a cargo bike), one cellphone and no tv. "I think a lot of it has to do with our overdriving ambition to be free," explains Coyne, "makes being cheap fun, because it means you can be free".
Root Simple: http://www.rootsimple.com/
Original story: http://faircompanies.com/videos/view/...
*Cameraman Johnny Sanphillippo also films for the site Strong Towns: http://www.strongtowns.org/
Standard YouTube License
- 13:17 Micro-homesteading in WA with 10K microhome (84 sq ft) in friends' yardby Kirsten Dirksen Featured 138,227
- 25:33 Intentionally small home: urban living in North Carolinaby Kirsten Dirksen187,097 views
- 20:13 Off-grid, handcrafted life on Oregon farm & workshopby Kirsten Dirksen89,657 views
- 18:27 Internet of Farming: Arduino-based, backyard aquaponicsby Kirsten Dirksen143,570 views
- 27:38 Eustace Conway: Self-Sufficient or Threat to Society?by SpreadLibertyTV57,995 views
- 14:23 Homesteading Ideas. A Tour of Becky's Homestead.by Becky's Homestead136,353 views
- 3:52 Secrets to a successfull urban garden with little work.by GreenDesertTV50,814 views
- 8:39 6,000 lbs of food on 1/10th acre - Urban Farm - Urban Homestead - Growing Your Own Foodby FoodAbundance416,132 views
- 9:50 Heating Seattle backyard studio with soda cans as solar panelsby Kirsten Dirksen148,651 views
- 8 videos Play all plant ideasby projectoutdream
- 5:24 DIY Small Scale Aquaculture System and Greenhouse - Vid #12by fishandworms23,002 views
- 27:54 Four Acres and Independence - A Self-Sufficient Farmsteadby peakmoment380,699 views
- 42:40 An original maker: Paul Elkins, Pacific Northwest polymathby Kirsten Dirksen240,952 views
- 12:20 Simple living , living cheap , debt free , part 1by The66Channel46,988 views
- 37:41 Aquaponic Urban Farm Grows Vegetables through the Winter Snowby Learn Organic Gardening at GrowingYourGreens95,683 views
- 6:24 Backyard farmers by necessity: self-sufficient & debt-freeby Kirsten Dirksen232,962 views
- 17:56 Debt-free boat tiny home for family of 3 on Portland islandby Kirsten Dirksen69,409 views
- 10:02 Off-Grid Living Experience - Day 1: No Electricity, Water or Gasby LDSPrepper73,330 views
- 30:22 Portable home delivered as furniture, tailored as smartphoneby Kirsten Dirksen66,992 views
- 18:22 School bus renovated as bachelor's off-grid tiny homeby Kirsten Dirksen74,757 views