Firearms and Personal Defense | Jeff Cooper
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 3, 2010
Lecture presented by Jeff Cooper at the 15th Annual Meeting of the Doctors for Disaster Preparedness held in San Diego, California; June 1997.
Official website of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness: http://www.ddponline.org
John Dean "Jeff" Cooper was recognized as the father of what is commonly known as "the Modern Technique" of handgun shooting, and is considered to be one of the 20th century's foremost international experts on the use and history of small arms.
Born John Dean Cooper, but known to his friends as "Jeff", Cooper was a Marine Lieutenant Colonel who served in both World War II and the Korean War resigning his commission in 1956. He received a bachelor's degree in political science from Stanford University and, in the mid-1960s, a master's degree in history from the University of California, Riverside.
In 1976, Cooper founded the American Pistol Institute (API) in Paulden, Arizona (later the Gunsite Training Center). Cooper also began teaching shotgun and rifle classes to law enforcement and military personnel as well as civilians and did on-site training for individuals and groups around the Free World. He sold the firm in 1992 but continued living on the Paulden ranch. He was known for his advocacy of large caliber handguns, especially the Colt 1911 and the .45 ACP cartridge.
Jeff Cooper conceived and designed the Bren Ten pistol around the 10 mm Auto, based on the Czech CZ 75 design. The cartridge was more powerful than both the 9 mm Luger and the .45 ACP round.
His second major contribution to firearms design was what he termed a Scout Rifle. These bolt action carbines are typically .30 caliber (7.62 mm), less than 1 meter in length and less than 3 kilograms in weight, with iron and optical sights, and fitted with practical slings (such as Ching slings) for shooting and carrying and capable of hitting man-sized targets out to 450 meters without scopes. Typically they employ forward-mounted low-power long eye relief scopes or sights to afford easy access to the top of the rifle action for rapid reloading. Steyr, Ruger, Savage, and several other gun makers now manufacture Scout rifles that roughly match Cooper's specifications, but most lack auxiliary iron sights.
Cooper defined his goal: "... a general-purpose rifle is a conveniently portable, individually operated firearm, capable of striking a single decisive blow, on a live target of up to 200 kilos in weight, at any distance at which the operator can shoot with the precision necessary to place a shot in a vital area of the target." Cooper died peacefully at his home on the afternoon of Monday, September 25, 2006. (Source: Wikipedia)
The Jeff Cooper Legacy Foundation
Jeff Cooper's Commentaries
Cooper, firearms expert, dead at 86
DISCLAIMER: Doctors for Disaster Preparedness has given permission under the Creative Commons license that this media presentation can be publicly reposted as long as proper credit is given to DDP and other guidelines are followed. More info at: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/b...
This YouTube channel is in no way endorsed by or affiliated with Doctors for Disaster Preparedness, any of its lecturers or staff members.
Standard YouTube License
- 46:29 "The Concealed Carry Protocol" by Nutnfancyby nutnfancy Featured 495,277
- 53:20 Guns versus Crime | John R. Lott, Jr.by LibertyInOurTime4,870 views
- 49:58 Global Warming: The Greatest Scam In History | John Colemanby LibertyInOurTime3,234 views
- 37:05 What Americans Must Do to Survive | Jane Orientby LibertyInOurTime801 views
- 56:20 Global Warming: The Latest Onslaught in Defiance of Scientific Fact | Sallie Baliunasby LibertyInOurTime510 views
- 48:01 Breaking the Lies on STAND YOUR GROUND Laws with Massad Ayoob and Clayton Cramerby Doc Casull13,102 views
- 4:45 Jeff Cooper - Defensive Pistolcraftby Vicious47141,680 views
- 34:40 Judicious Use of Deadly Force by Massad Ayoobby Umesh Heendeniya5,759 views
- 124 videos Play all 10mmby rulkn4me75
- 18:02 Conditions of Readiness for the 1911by Limatunes' Range Diary29,854 views
- 15:16 1911 Pistols - Why we don't carry themby NeverEnuffAmmo
- 4:45 How to Use the Compressed Surprise Break | JEFF COOPER'S DEFENSIVE PISTOLCRAFT TAPE SERIESby PaladinPress141,715 views
- 35:19 Ruger Scout Rifle Review & Functional Analysis as a Survival Gunby suburban sentinel31,932 views
- 42:19 Ruger Gunsite Scout review by Nutnfancyby nutnfancy133,999 views
- 10:06 10MM "THE STORY OF AN AMAZING ROUND!"by Weapons Education62,736 views
- 7:40 STOCK UP ON GUNS AND AMMO NOW! MAYDAY! MAYDAY! MAYDAY!by Pam Theprinter50,773 views
- 1:01:07 Firearms and Personal Defense by: Jeff Cooper of Gunsiteby NOLATAC2,143 views
- 6:24 The Best Handgun, Period.by TheYankeeMarshal695,807 views
- 31:52 Nutnfancy SHOT Show 2011: Ruger New Gunsby nutnfancy88,790 views
- 10:53 The Truth About Semi-Auto Firearmsby wackster17528,481 views