How to Climb Mount Everest
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 8, 2010
See what you can learn on the go with the new Howcast App for iPhone and iPad: http://bit.ly/11ZmFOu
Watch more Try a New Sport videos: http://www.howcast.com/guides/725-Try...
Subscribe to Howcast's YouTube Channel - http://bit.ly/uLaHRS
You may not be able to move mountains, but they can move you. Standing at the top of the world after an extremely challenging climb can be a profound experience.
Howcast uploads the highest quality how-to videos daily! Be sure to check out our playlists for guides that interest you: http://bit.ly/ytmainplaylists
Subscribe to Howcast's other YouTube Channels:
Howcast Dance & Entertainment Channel - http://bit.ly/vmB86i
Howcast Family Channel - http://bit.ly/16dz9oH
Howcast Food & Drink Channel - http://bit.ly/umBoJX
Howcast Personal Care & Style Channel - http://bit.ly/vbbNt3
Howcast Sports & Fitness Channel - http://bit.ly/vKjUjm
Howcast Tech Channel - http://bit.ly/rx9FwR
Howcast Video Games Channel - http://bit.ly/tYKKrk
Howcast empowers people with engaging, useful how-to information wherever, whenever they need to know how. Emphasizing high-quality instructional videos, Howcast brings you experts who provide accurate information in easy-to-follow tutorials on everything from makeup, hairstyling, nail art design, and soccer to parkour, skateboarding, dancing, kissing, and much, much more.
Always consult a physician before attempting to do any exercise or exercise plan.
Step 1: Start saving
Start saving your pennies -- climbing Everest is not only a challenging expedition, but also an expensive one. You'll need about $60,000 to make your dream of standing at the top of the world a reality.
Step 2: Get in shape
Get in shape by running 5 to 10 miles a day, preferably uphill, for at least 12 months prior to your climb. Lift weights to build your upper body strength.
Step 3: Practice
Practice on an easier mountain -- both to build your experience and confidence, and to get your body used to exertion at high altitudes.
Take a course that teaches the skills involved in ice and mountain climbing.
Step 4: Join an expedition
Join an expedition when you are ready to tackle Everest. This will be a large portion of your expense, but some of your equipment is provided and climbing with a group makes for a safer experience.
Step 5: Purchase gear
Purchase all the gear that your expedition does not provide. This will include clothing, boots, sleeping bags, and more.
Step 6: Prepare mentally
Prepare yourself mentally. Visualize a successful climb, while understanding how hard it is going to be physically and mentally.
Pack on some pounds before you go, as you could drop up to 20 percent of your weight over the course of the climb.
Step 7: Get started
Tackle the mountain. Conserve your energy and your oxygen for the long haul, follow best safety practices, and stick with the group.
Step 8: Brag about it
Brag to anyone who will listen. You've been to the top of the world and lived to tell about it.
Did You Know?
Erik Weihenmayer climbed Mount Everest in 2001 -- becoming the first blind man to scale the mountain.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:46 How to Know If Your Children Do Drugsby Howcast Featured 537,864
- 1:55 How to Win a Pie Eating Contestby Howcast71,024 views
- 1:26 How to Remove a Ring that's Stuck on a Fingerby Howcast335,186 views
- 1:25 How to Become an FBI Agentby Howcast33,815 views
- 1:25 How to Wrap a Toilet Seat as a Prankby Howcast569,274 views
- 52:07 K2 : Climbing the World's Toughest Mountain (Full Documentary)by Learn About Everything128,509 views
- 49:23 Mountain Men : The ghosts of K2by Ashish Chanda150,739 views
- 14:17 Everest 2011 part 5by Tim Mosedale24,739 views
- 14:50 16x9 - Frozen in Time: Missing climber Holland's body found frozen 21 years laterby 16x9onglobal153,211 views
- 2:50 Nik on how to build your own Igloo / Igluby Mark Kubler192,543 views
- 54:48 Mt Everest Documentary - Rex Pembertonby Rex Pemberton45,295 views
- 22:00 Inside the 1996 Everest Disaster - Ken Kamlerby ForaTv1,043,390 views
- 56:24 Climbing MT Everest with a Mountain on My Back The Sherpa's Story BBC full documentary 2013 nepalby Mrbikiwiki2012245,686 views
- 6:22 hypnotize someone in secondsby hypnotizeSomeone246,024 views
- 4:57 13 Year-Old to Climb Everestby CBS29,331 views
- 14:47 Everest - The Death Zone (Part One)by TheWorldIsBiggerThanMe298,066 views
- 12:54 Cerro Torre - Mountaineering in Patagoniaby petzlcrew76,344 views
- 30:16 National Geographic Live! - Ed Viesturs: The Will to Climbby National Geographic210,386 views
- 10:38 Ueli Steck - "Making of" The North Face Trilogyby TheDOCMINE107,462 views
- 1:50 Mt. Everest Deaths: Mountain Climbers' Crowded Trail Seen in Videoby ABC News144,000 views
- Loading more suggestions...