GOP Has A 3 Point Plan To Steal The Next Election
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Dec 12, 2012
The recently passed Right-To-Work Law in Mich, is part of a 3-pronged strategy by the GOP to win future elections. Destroying Unions, Voter Suppression, and changing Electoral College rules are parts of the attack on democracy led by people like the Koch brothers.
Thousands of labor supporters turned out to Michigan's Capitol on Tuesday, as the legislature reconvened to vote on "right to work" legislation. By mid-morning, authorities estimated that there were approximately 10,000 people gathered outside the building in Lansing, Mich., with another 2,500 inside.
But despite the show of solidarity, the writing appeared to be on the wall for unions. The legislature's top priority for the day was to pass the contentious bill, and labor leaders acknowledged that they expected Gov. Rick Snyder (R) to sign it into law, making Michigan the 24th state with such a measure. Around noon, the House approved the bill.
Republicans attempted to make the bill repeal-proof, attaching a $1 million appropriation on the measure for enforcing right to work. According to Michigan law, spending bills can't be put on the ballot for the public to vote on.
But labor leaders haven't given up. They've been busily searching for other ways to repeal it, either through the ballot box or within the legislature. Some of the options being discussed depend on the goodwill of the governor or Republicans in the legislature, making those paths unlikely. Michigan House Speaker Jase Bolger's (R-Marshall) office did not return a request for comment.
In the hours before the legislature reconvened, interest in the labor community began swirling around a possible "citizens initiative" to force the right-to-work measure onto the ballot.
"Whether it's the still-available ballot initiative option, or the 2014 elections themselves, Governor Snyder should rest assured that the voices of Michiganders will be heard," said Eddie Vale, spokesman for the labor PAC Workers' Voice, who was heavily involved in the labor fights in Ohio and Wisconsin. Vale stressed that it's still too early to tell exactly which route will be the best to seek repeal of right to work, should Snyder sign it into law.
Right-to-work laws forbid contracts between companies and unions that require all workers to pay the union for bargaining on their behalf. Although business groups and conservatives cast the issue in terms of workplace freedom, unions note that the laws allow workers to opt out of supporting the union although they reap the benefits of the collective bargaining. Because the laws tend to weaken unions generally, unions, as well as President Obama, call the legislation "right to work for less."
Standard YouTube License
- 1:45 The American Dream: If You're Not Living It, You're...Lazy!?by Sam Seder Featured 2,461
- 19:34 Keith Olbermann: "If the Tea Party Wins, America Loses"by Licentiathe8th5,075 views
- 14:25 Rachel Maddow - Romney takes a page from the Karl Rove playbookby Licentiathe8th3,566 views
- 4:42 Why are Some Senate Democrats Running Away From 2014 Elections?by politicalarticles487 views
- 3:58 Outraged Congressman Attacks Boehner For Tea Party Purgeby Tomthunkit186 views
- 9:26 The Last Word - Grover Norquist's worst nightmareby Licentiathe8th7,450 views
- 8:18 Kasich on Right to Work, Fracking Jobs, Turnpikeby OhioCapitalBlog237 views
- 28:27 Doctor Damages Show Episode 113 (Special coverage of the Anambra State election)by Saharatv7,856 views
- 5:55 The Newsroom - Rinos, Real Republicans, The Tea Party, The Founding Fathers on religion and moreby Scientartist142,565 views
- 6:04 Jade Thompson: Me vs. My Union: Ohio Teacher's Dues Go Against Will-Sean Hannity Has Her Describeby TheLawman497,646 views
- 0:48 Former Romney Advisor Gets Smacked In Head During Interviewby Tomthunkit152 views
- 4:06 Krauthammer: Dems Will Regret Allowing Obama's 'Lawlessness' When GOP Returns to Powerby Top10NewsToday1,264 views
- 3:37 College Republicans Launching New Ad Warning of National Debtby FoxNewsInsider2,261 views
- 2:59 VOTE 2014 St. Clair Countyby csistclair182 views
- 2:33 Republican Party Favorability Rating At A Ten Year Low After Electionby Tomthunkit91 views
- 3:04 Santorum on National Right to Work Bill.movby OhioCapitalBlog245 views
- 29:11 Bill Moore talks with Bree Halverson, Working Americaby UMDMAPL200422 views
- 2:18 Maddow On CALM Act Will Stop Those Extra Loud Commercialsby Tomthunkit2,611 views
- 3:16 Is Ohio next for "Right-to-Work"?by WDTNTV107 views
- 7:18 Republicans' Electoral College Scheme - Can a Dem Win?by The Young Turks39,516 views
- Loading more suggestions...