The Great Gibson Guitar Raid: Months Later, Still No Charges Filed
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 23, 2012
"They...come in with weapons, they seized a half-million dollars worth of property, they shut our factory down, and they have not charged us with anything," says Gibson Guitars CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, referring to the August 2011 raid on his Nashville and Memphis factories by agents from the Departments of Homeland Security and Fish & Wildlife.
The feds raided Gibson for using an inappropriate tariff code on wood from India, which is a violation of the anti-trafficking statute known as The Lacey Act. At issue is not whether the wood in question was endangered, but whether the wood was the correct level of thickness and finish before being exported from India. "India is wanting to ensure that raw wood is not exported without some labor content from India," says Juskiewicz.
Andrea Johnson of the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) counters that "it's not up to Gibson to decide which laws...they want to respect." She points out that Gibson had previously been raided under The Lacey Act for imports from Madagascar.
This much is clear: The government has yet to file any charges or allow Gibson a day in court to makes its case, much less retrieve its materials. "This is not about responsible forestry and sustainable wood or illegal logging, this is about a bureaucratic law," argues Juszkiewicz, who testified last year before a congressional hearing convened by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). It is, he says, "a blank check for abuse."
About 6 minutes. Written, produced, and narrated by Anthony L. Fisher; shot by Joshua Swain.
Music: "Improvisation: Fast Blues in A" by Rev. Gary Davis
Go to http://www.reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:37 Chibson Chinese Gibson Fakeby Thomas GenzardiFeatured 304,304
- 9:54 Green Police Mafia Raid Gibson Guitars Infowars.comby ntyranny1 6,491 views
- 8:56 Gibson Acoustic Guitar Factory part 1by bnewman004 10,156 views
- 7:11 How it´s Made Gibson - Some assembly requiered PART 2by Emiliano Chiurco 69,025 views
- 6:57 PRS Factory Tour part 1 - Rough Cut and Body Constructionby Musiciansfriend 183,411 views
- 20 videos Play all how toby sentforth5
- 7:04 Ten years in jail for moving dirt? Gibson guitars swat team raided & other Tyrannyby ill318 4,245 views
- 5:59 You Want a Gibson Guitar Chinese? Watch This Videoby wcigano1 154,235 views
- 13:22 Gibson Memphis Factoryby gibsoncustomguitar 4,536 views
- 9:16 Feds raid Gibson guitarby RTAmerica 32,551 views
- 3:10 Gibson Guitar Tutorial: Joe Walsh - Guitar Setup (Part 1 of 6)by GibsonGuitarUK 37,602 views
- 16:48 How to spot a fake Chinese Les Paul Standardby PixxyLixxx 580,646 views
- 8:49 Cort Electric Guitar Factory Tour - Full tour of how an electric guitar is madeby Cort Guitars 164,210 views
- 9:07 Berry Licks and Uncle Ted!! 1956 Gibson ES 350 01445by frettedamericana 26,342 views
- 3:48 Gibson Guitar Tutorial: Joe Walsh - Slide Guitar (Part 1 of 2)by GibsonGuitarUK 48,979 views
- 8:12 Cort vs. Gibson Guitars - Shoot-Out! CR250 vs. Les Paul !!by lmsjr 59,767 views
- 2:28 Still No Charges Months After SWAT Raid On Gibson Guitarsby PigMine3 4,865 views
- 8:30 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard Overview With Michael Casswell iGuitar Magazineby iguitarmag 83,271 views
- 6:19 The Gibson Harrison-Clapton "Lucy" Les Paul : Presented By Guitar Centerby GuitarCenterTV 466,594 views
- 3:34 August Rush - Dueling Guitarsby SadeJR94 243,515 views
- 22:18 Gibson Epiphone ES-339, ES-345, ES-355 and Ultra-339 - Plus Blues Jamby RobChappers 206,310 views
- Loading more suggestions...