The Great Gibson Guitar Raid: Months Later, Still No Charges Filed
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 23, 2012
"They...come in with weapons, they seized a half-million dollars worth of property, they shut our factory down, and they have not charged us with anything," says Gibson Guitars CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, referring to the August 2011 raid on his Nashville and Memphis factories by agents from the Departments of Homeland Security and Fish & Wildlife.
The feds raided Gibson for using an inappropriate tariff code on wood from India, which is a violation of the anti-trafficking statute known as The Lacey Act. At issue is not whether the wood in question was endangered, but whether the wood was the correct level of thickness and finish before being exported from India. "India is wanting to ensure that raw wood is not exported without some labor content from India," says Juskiewicz.
Andrea Johnson of the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) counters that "it's not up to Gibson to decide which laws...they want to respect." She points out that Gibson had previously been raided under The Lacey Act for imports from Madagascar.
This much is clear: The government has yet to file any charges or allow Gibson a day in court to makes its case, much less retrieve its materials. "This is not about responsible forestry and sustainable wood or illegal logging, this is about a bureaucratic law," argues Juszkiewicz, who testified last year before a congressional hearing convened by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). It is, he says, "a blank check for abuse."
About 6 minutes. Written, produced, and narrated by Anthony L. Fisher; shot by Joshua Swain.
Music: "Improvisation: Fast Blues in A" by Rev. Gary Davis
Go to http://www.reason.tv for downloadable versions and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube Channel to receive automatic updates when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 22:44 Gibson Les Paul Gets Parts and Setupby Dave's World of Fun Stuff Featured 54,542
- 14:26 Obama Tells Gibson Guitar CEO, Move to Madagascar!.by TheRiverMersey33,770 views
- 14:26 CEO of Gibson: Feds Told Us to Leave U.S.by TheAlexJonesChannel85,632 views
- 3:14 Ted Nugent On Gibson Raids:"Illogical, Anti-American, and Contrary to Claims of Creating Jobs"by NDblogvideos12,560 views
- 29:14 Gibson Guitar Corp. Responds to Federal Raidby Gibson Guitar1,101,348 views
- 16:40 Penn Jillette on God, No!, Atheism, Libertarianism, & Moreby ReasonTV258,664 views
- 44 videos Play all GUITAR FACTORY TOURby aligi60
- 9:50 Battle for the California Desert: Why is the Government Driving Folks off Their Land?by ReasonTV290,212 views
- 16:49 How to spot a fake Chinese Les Paul Standardby PixxyLixxx705,428 views
- 5:48 Boondoggle in the Motor City: Detroit's Train to Nowhereby ReasonTV156,206 views
- 3:29 North Korea children playing the guitar. Creepy as hell.by thehypnoguy118,498,068 views
- 7:04 Ten years in jail for moving dirt? Gibson guitars swat team raided & other Tyrannyby ill3184,726 views
- 8:49 Cort Electric Guitar Factory Tour - Full tour of how an electric guitar is madeby Cort Guitars221,366 views
- 8:12 Cort vs. Gibson Guitars - Shoot-Out! CR250 vs. Les Paul !!by The Tone King77,022 views
- 1:20 "SWAT Team" and Gibson Workersby Gibson Guitar30,616 views
- 6:19 The Gibson Harrison-Clapton "Lucy" Les Paul : Presented By Guitar Centerby Guitar Center723,837 views
- 3:55 Gibson Backstage - Matt Talks Metal - Part 1by Gibson Germany6,414 views
- 8:14 World's Best Guitar Player Unbelievableby Ahmar Ali3,813,249 views
- 6:57 PRS Factory Tour Part 1 of 4 - Rough Cut and Body Constructionby Musiciansfriend227,308 views
- 6:59 Is Harrisburg's Nightmare America's Future?by ReasonTV40,421 views