Obama Speech to Congress Part 5/6
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 24, 2009
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama struck a balance between grim economic reality and a more hopeful outlook on Tuesday to try to reassure worried Americans their country will emerge from crisis "stronger than before."
Riding high in opinion polls, Obama was careful to include a sober assessment of the economic emergency in his first speech to Congress, seeking to temper expectations that his administration's rescue efforts would yield quick fixes.
But the politician whose memoir was called "The Audacity of Hope" and who won the White House in last November's election amid chants of "yes, we can" was also back in stride, telling recession-weary Americans to expect better days ahead.
"While our economy may be weakened and our confidence shaken, though we are living through difficult and uncertain times, tonight I want every American to know this: We will rebuild, we will recover," Obama said in the televised speech.
"And the United States of America will emerge stronger than before," he told a chamber packed with lawmakers, cabinet members and invited guests.
The Democratic president also leveled a barrage of indirect criticism at his Republican predecessor George W. Bush for the country's economic plight and bloated debt, warning that the "day of reckoning" had arrived.
Five weeks after taking office, Obama pressed the case for his economic plans while laying out a broad agenda, including a much-anticipated push for a healthcare overhaul and energy independence, to help build momentum for his young presidency.
The primetime State of the Union-style address to a joint session of the Senate and House of Representatives came against a backdrop of growing anxiety across the country in the face of the worst financial meltdown in decades.
While his public support is strong, Wall Street remains skeptical of his economic remedies.
Jittery investors sent U.S. stocks to a 12-year low on Monday, but the markets rallied on Tuesday on Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke's assurances that the country's troubled banks should be able to weather the downturn without being nationalized.
Trying to show he would make good on his promise of fiscal responsibility, Obama said he had identified $2 trillion in budget cuts over the next decade.
Obama, who rolls out his first budget proposal on Thursday, has vowed to halve the annual deficit by the end of his term.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:59 Obama Speech to Congress Part 6/6by tegl1n37,830 views
- 9:36 Obama Speech to Congress Part 4/6by tegl1n45,110 views
- 9:04 Obama Speech to Congress Part 1/6by tegl1n166,621 views
- 9:39 Obama Speech to Congress Part 3/6by tegl1n53,310 views
- 8:37 Obama Speech to Congress Part 2/6by tegl1n66,178 views
- 53:53 C-SPAN: President Obama Address to Congressby C-SPAN854,769 views
- 10:00 Obama gives speech, slams Mccain on the economyby AntiConformist9119,658 views
- 11:29 OBAMA LEAVES CODED MESSAGE WHILE CONGRESS FLEES WASHINGTON AHEAD OF FOOD STAMP CLOSURE ON NOV 1stby CourageousNerd z44,351 views
- 59 videos Play all Obama music videosby bizplease
- 6:03 Be Afraid: Why Is Congress So Afraid Of Congressman Steve Cohen. Watch Reaction.by Mary Greeley2,439 views
- 1:07 EXPERT TESTIFIES IN CONGRESS OBAMA'S LAWLESSNESS COULD LEAD TO REVOLTby LastGreatStand .1,381 views
- 1:09:20 In Full: State of the Unionby CBS268,228 views
- 0:29 Heckler At Obama Speech to Congress: 'You Lie!'by tpmtv356,684 views
- 7:42 McCain Rates Obama's Speechby CBS6,132 views
- 6:33 Bobby Jindal: Republican Response Speech Part Oneby heathr45673,389 views
- 8:13 Boehner On Obama's Speechby CBS7,339 views
- 38:00 President Obama and Jay Leno at White House Correspondents Dinnerby The White House1,466,563 views
- 1:10:36 Pres. Obama's First State of the Union Addressby C-SPAN448,062 views
- 47:57 Obama: The 2.0 Dictatorby TheAlexJonesChannel36,239 views
- 10:00 Obama Inagural Congress Speech February 24, 2009by Elisa Brown11,491 views