CERN: The Standard Model Of Particle Physics
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 22, 2010
http://www.facebook.com/ScienceReason ... The Standard Model Of Particle Physics. This film was produced as part of the CERN/ATLAS multimedia contest internship.
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
STANDARD MODEL OF PARTICLE PHYSICS:
1) First Second Of The Universe:
2) Force And Matter:
5) Electrons, Protons And Neutrons:
6) Photons, Gravitons & Weak Bosons:
8) The Higgs Boson / The Higgs Mechanism:
The standard model of particle physics is a theory concerning the electromagnetic, weak and strong nuclear interactions which mediate the dynamics of the known subatomic particles. Developed throughout the early and middle 20th century, the current formulation was finalized in the mid 1970s upon experimental confirmation of the existence of quarks. Since then, discoveries of the bottom quark (1977), the top quark (1995) and the tau neutrino (2000) have given credence to the standard model. Because of its success in explaining a wide variety of experimental results, the standard model is sometimes regarded as a theory of almost everything.
Still, the standard model falls short of being a complete theory of fundamental interactions because it does not incorporate the physics of general relativity, such as gravitation and dark energy. The theory does not contain any viable dark matter particle that possesses all of the required properties deduced from observational cosmology. It also does not correctly account for neutrino oscillations (and their non-zero masses). Although the standard model is theoretically self-consistent, it has several unnatural properties giving rise to puzzles like the strong CP problem and the hierarchy problem.
Nevertheless, the standard model is important to theoretical and experimental particle physicists alike. For theoreticians, the standard model is a paradigm example of a quantum field theory, which exhibits a wide range of physics including spontaneous symmetry breaking, anomalies, non-perturbative behavior, etc. It is used as a basis for building more exotic models which incorporate hypothetical particles, extra dimensions and elaborate symmetries (such as supersymmetry) in an attempt to explain experimental results at variance with the Standard Model such as the existence of dark matter and neutrino oscillations. In turn, the experimenters have incorporated the standard model into simulators to help search for new physics beyond the standard model from relatively uninteresting background.
Recently, the standard model has found applications in other fields besides particle physics such as astrophysics and cosmology, in addition to nuclear physics.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:21 The Standard Model Of Particle Physics 001 : Overviewby physicsacademyFeatured 14,614
- 1:10:00 Particle Physics Gravity and the Standard Modelby UCTVSeminars 96,862 views
- 10:59 Science v's God : Its The Collapse Of Physics As We Know itby IrresponsibleAtheism 904,767 views
- 1:33:44 Alien Planet "Full Documentary"by MrSaunders2020's channel 8,348,380 views
- 1:55 This Is Mind Blowing!by FabioTheItalianOne 4,347,117 views
- 7:21 The Speed of Light Problemby iRibbit7 229,233 views
- 31 videos Play all LHC the Large Hadron Collider, CERN projectby YourPartofEVIL
- CERN 169 videos32K
- 9:02 Imagining the Fifth Dimensionby 10thdim 181,706 views
- 6:04 How Do We Know the Universe is Flat?by tdarnell 241,482 views
- 10:05 Measurement Problem - Reality is an Illusionby ericbs5247 84,154 views
- 3:59 Quarks and leptons for beginnersby Roger Linsell 173,305 views
- 57:20 What Gives Particles Mass? Searching for the Higgs Bosonby UCtelevision 56,022 views
- 3:51 Mass is Energy Moving Faster then Lightby brianbrian9999 107,773 views
- 20:09 Take that, Higgs!by freddieknets 17,038 views
- 1:40 Theory of Everything (intro)by minutephysics 888,989 views
- 1:32 Higgs field and Higgs boson explainedby UM News Service 36,306 views
- 1:28 The Moment: CERN Scientist Announces Higgs Boson 'God Particle' Discoveryby linktv 65,890 views
- 59:06 The Hunt For Higgs - amazing HD Documentaryby 711Rene 235,619 views
- 1:37:17 Lecture 1 | New Revolutions in Particle Physics: Standard Modelby StanfordUniversity 70,352 views
- 7:12 Higgs Field - Is the Universe Itself the Missing God Particle ? - Field Theory Physicsby AcceleratorPlus 77,084 views
- 5:17 So what IS the Higgs boson?by scishow 292,733 views
- Loading more suggestions...