Think faster focus better and remember moreRewiring our brain to stay younger...
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 24, 2008
Google Tech Talks
June 16, 2008
Explore the brain's amazing ability to change throughout a person's life. This phenomenon—called neuroplasticty—is the science behind brain fitness, and it has been called one of the most extraordinary scientific discoveries of the 20th century.
PBS had recently aired this special, The Brain Fitness Program, which explains the brain's complexities in a way that both scientists and people with no scientific background can appreciate.
This is opportunity to learn more about how our minds work—and to find out more about the latest in cutting-edge brain research, from the founder of Posit Science and creator of the Brain Fitness Program software, Dr. Michael Merzenich.
Speaker: Dr. Michael Merzenich, Ph.D.
Michael M. Merzenich, PhD: Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Merzenich leads the company's scientific team. For more than three decades, Dr. Merzenich has been a leading pioneer in brain plasticity research. He is the Francis A. Sooy Professor at the Keck Center for Integrative Neurosciences at UCSF. Dr. Merzenich is a member of the National Academy of Sciences. He is the recipient of numerous awards and prizes, including the Ipsen Prize, Zulch Prize of the Max Planck Institute, Thomas Alva Edison Patent Award and Purkinje Medal. Dr. Merzenich has published more than 200 articles, including many in leading peer-reviewed journals, such as Science and Nature. His work is also often covered in the popular press, including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Time and Newsweek. He has appeared on Sixty Minutes II, CBS Evening News and Good Morning America. In the late 1980s, Dr. Merzenich was on the team that invented the cochlear implant, now distributed by market leader Advanced Bionics. In 1996, Dr. Merzenich was the founding CEO of Scientific Learning Corporation (Nasdaq: SCIL), which markets and distributes software that applies principles of brain plasticity to assist children with language learning and reading. He is an inventor on more than 50 patents. Dr. Merzenich earned his BS degree at the University of Portland and his PhD at Johns Hopkins.
Standard YouTube License
- 31:42 Listen..This Will Change Your Life - The Strangest Secretby PSNy2kUK Featured 1,736,557
- 1:03:42 Nutrients for Better Mental Performanceby GoogleTechTalks197,959 views
- 1:09:46 Divide and Conquer: How the Essence of Mindfulness Parallels the Nuts and Bolts of Scienceby GoogleTechTalks58,205 views
- 59:28 Change your Mind Change your Brain: The Inner Conditions...by GoogleTechTalks282,569 views
- 1:01:11 Be Your Own Therapistby GoogleTechTalks370,429 views
- 35:38 How to Double Your Brain Power! (Great Stuff!) - Part 1by MindPowerWords1,150,148 views
- 23:28 Accelerated Learning: How To Get Good at Anything in 20 Hoursby Jonathan Fields41,590 views
- 1:31:11 A Thin Sheet of Reality: The Universe as a Hologram (Full)by Johanan Raatz149,412 views
- 1:44:27 4 - Psychic Skills & Miracles - technology used for telepathy and remote viewingby brainsci47,140 views
- 1:06:59 Dealing With Difficult Peopleby BuddhistSocietyWA169,826 views
- 2:19:31 Whats your calling?by Promode Fernando443,196 views
- 1:28:30 How Your Brain Can Turn Anxiety into Calmnessby University of California Television (UCTV)603,808 views
- 4:01 How To Overcome Laziness In 4 Stepsby Emil Ihsan-Alexander Torabi1,024,691 views
- 26:58 Joshua Foer on how he greatly improved his memory.by AllanGregg133,006 views
- 43 videos Play all self helpby 0GRAT0
- 13:57 The Woman Who Changed Her Brain: Barbara Arrowsmith-Young at TEDxTorontoby TEDxTalks139,418 views
- 1:36:57 2. Behavioral Evolutionby StanfordUniversity198,700 views
- 16:19 Mark Gungor - The 4 Countries of Peopleby Khaled Abu Khadra65,141 views
- 1:29:41 The Biology of Depression: The Affects of Stressby University of California Television (UCTV)75,574 views
- 1:06:29 Zen and the Brainby GoogleTechTalks79,514 views