Homemade Stirling Engine
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 9, 2012
A Stirling engine is a heat engine operating by cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas, the working fluid, at different temperature levels such that there is a net conversion of heat energy to mechanical work.
Like the steam engine, the Stirling engine is traditionally classified as an external combustion engine, as all heat transfers to and from the working fluid take place through the engine wall. This contrasts with an internal combustion engine where heat input is by combustion of a fuel within the body of the working fluid. Unlike a steam engine's (or more generally a Rankine cycle engine's) usage of a working fluid in both its liquid and gaseous phases, the Stirling engine encloses a fixed quantity of permanently gaseous fluid such as air.
Typical of heat engines, the general cycle consists of compressing cool gas, heating the gas, expanding the hot gas, and finally cooling the gas before repeating the cycle. The efficiency of the process is narrowly restricted by the efficiency of the Carnot cycle, which depends on the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoir.
Originally conceived in 1816 as an industrial prime mover to rival the steam engine, its practical use was largely confined to low-power domestic applications for over a century.
The Stirling engine is noted for its high efficiency compared to steam engines, quiet operation, and the ease with which it can use almost any heat source. This compatibility with alternative and renewable energy sources has become increasingly significant as the price of conventional fuels rises, and also in light of concerns such as peak oil and climate change. This engine is currently exciting interest as the core component of micro combined heat and power (CHP) units, in which it is more efficient and safer than a comparable steam engine.
Standard YouTube License
- 10:52 Stirling kit assembly videoby specallez Featured 272,987
- 32:54 Easy to Build Stirling Cycle Engine. Free Plans, Hot Airby myfordboy505,976 views
- 36:15 LTD Stirling Cycle Engine Free Plans Easy to Build Hot Airby myfordboy75,169 views
- 14:41 Stirling Engine Tutorial / Plans How To Part 1 of 2 (beta)by specallez486,168 views
- 9:58 How to Make Stirling Engine - Single Cylinder Tomato Can (Homemade/DIY)by RimstarOrg118,355 views
- 8:45 Stirling engine emergency home power generatorby BasementEngineer171,953 views
- 9:23 Stirling Engine SV2 MKII by Kirk Engines, Inc.by kirkolator1120,672 views
- 6:40 INTRODUCTION TO HOW TO BUILD A STIRLING TIN CAN ENGINE.wmvby muddymuddymuddmann182,952 views
- 9:06 free power, how it works, the stirling engine part 1by electrondon426,527 views
- 3:23 Road testing a Stirling engine powered buggy, (filmed in Norwich England, 2001)by caloric161,214,250 views
- 8:31 SOLAR STIRLING ENGINE ALPHA STIRLING idea High Torque DIY Rby GREENPOWERSCIENCE562,887 views
- 12:16 Fast and Easy Can Stirling Engine Tutorial Part 2by specallez314,035 views
- 9:17 STIRLING ENGINE TAKING ONE APART HOT AIR ENGINE Solar Powered Sun Generator Motorby GREENPOWERSCIENCE584,212 views
- 9:35 Hog Stirling & Ultra Efficient Generatorby RamonaSteam400,714 views
- 5:15 Stirling Engine - How it Worksby YTEngineer194,677 views
- 4:56 1200 rpm DIY water bottle Stirling engineby approtechie160,734 views
- 2:01 Stirling Engine Powered Canoeby Ken Boak1,804,833 views
- 1:46 Stirling-Motorby chris1302vw441,074 views
- 5:04 World's largest Diesel Engine startingby kbhmuc775,803 views
- 10:01 PART 1 HOW TO BUILD A TIN CAN STIRLING ENGINEby muddymuddymuddmann102,644 views
- Loading more suggestions...