Governor Christie on FOX & Friends Provides Update on Hurricane Sandy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 30, 2012
Governor Christie on FOX & Friends Provides Update on Hurricane Sandy, 10-30-2012. (Transcript Below)
"This has been a devastating storm as many projected that it would be here in New Jersey. I mean New Jersey probably took in the neck worse than any other state. It made land fall here in New Jersey and our Jersey Shore is devastated. We have almost no power in the city of Newark because of the tidal surge up the Raritan and Newark Bays that took out five different electrical substations. 2.4 million households in New Jersey without any power today. We have a berm that was overwhelmed in Moonachie. We're doing urban search and rescue for hundreds of people in that town that's been flooded. Urban search and rescue last night in Sayreville, New Jersey and in Middlesex County because of the tidal surge in the Raritan Bay. This is really something."
Gretchen: What can you tell us about Atlantic City because I know...you had said, "Look, I am warning everybody there: get out". The mayor there had sort of a different message.
"Yeah listen, my job as governor first and foremost is to protect the health and safety of the people of this state and that's why I ordered an evacuation of the Barrier Islands including Atlantic City, well ahead of the arrival of the storm. I'm disappointed that that order wasn't completely complied with and I have great sympathy and concern for the folks who are still trapped in Atlantic City. We're in the midst of doing urban search and rescue on them right now. We've rescued a number of folks already this morning and we will continue to do that all day today."
Steve: Is there any possibility that Governor Romney may go to New Jersey...?
"I have no idea nor am I the least bit concerned or interested. I've got a job to do here in New Jersey that's much bigger than Presidential politics and I could care less about any of that stuff. I've a job to do. I've got 2.4 million people out of power, I've got devastation on the Shore, I've got floods in the Northern Part of my state, if you think right now I give a damn about Presidential politics then you don't know me."
Brian: Are you asking for help from other states at this point? If people are watching from a state that is not affected, is there a place for them to go if they have the skills you need?
"Sure, we are getting a lot of help. Governor Daniels from Indiana sent us 22 fully staffed ambulances to help us move folks out of hospitals that needed to be evacuated. I can't thank Governor Daniels enough. Governor Walker's provided assistance to us as well. And if there is some who wants to volunteer to help we have a line setup for that; its 1-800-Jersey7. That's 1-800-Jersey7 if you want to volunteer to help we could certainly use your help just call that hotline and we have people there to coordinate that."
Steve: Along the Hackensack River up around Moonachie and Carlstadt... What else can you tell us about what happened over there?
"Well there's no levee there it is a natural berm that held back water from the Hackensack River. What happened was that because of the tidal surge into the Bay up in the northern part of the state that surge caused a surge of water in the Hackensack River which caused it to overcome that natural berm and that's what caused the flooding in Moonachie and Little Ferry. And we are in the midst of urban search and rescue in Moonachie right now. We started last night and we're continuing today and we've already saved hundreds of people and had them sheltered at safe places in Bergen County. So we are in the midst of doing that, we'll get it done and we'll save those folks and we hope to have no loss of life. ...All those people that are on top of their mobile homes or are in the second floor of their homes in Moonachie or Little Ferry either they have been rescued or are in the process of being rescued now. We have our urban search and rescue teams there and they're moving as quickly as they can and as safely as they can.
Steve: We understand that the President has declared New York and New Jersey disaster areas already, how does that help you?
"It helps us tremendously. I spoke to the President three times yesterday, he called me for the last time at midnight last night asking me what he could do I said if he could expedite designating New Jersey as a major disaster area that that would help us get federal money and resources in here as quickly as possible to help clean up the damage here. The President was great last night he said he would get it done. At 2 AM I got a call from FEMA to answer a couple of final questions and then he signed the declaration this morning. So, I have to give the President great credit he has been on the phone with me three times in the last 24 hours, he has been very attentive and anything that I have asked for he's gotten to me. So, I thank the President publicly for that, he has done as far as I am concerned a great job for New Jersey."
Standard YouTube License
- 5:37 Fox and Friends FAIL on Obama Smear...BIG TIMEby Sam Seder Featured 10,533
- 13:15 Governor Christie Press Briefing In Monmouth County On Hurricane Sandyby GovChristie36,980 views
- 9:13 Governor Christie Responds To Teacher During Town Hallby GovChristie1,271,060 views
- 1:23 Governor Christie: Don't Be Stupid, Get Outby GovChristie67,135 views
- 57:20 Gubernatorial Debate Between Chris Christie & Barbara Buono 10.9.2013 Wayne NJby tokm90816,817 views
- 2:14 Chris Christie Destroys Reporter on His Praise for Obamaby Chris Christie51,925 views
- 5:47 Hank Williams, Jr. Compares Obama to Hitler FULL INTERVIEWby heckdaddy8436,288 views
- 9:15 Governor Christie on CNN Piers Morgan with Hurricane Sandy Updateby GovChristie19,087 views
- 4:14 Governor Christie Talks About Superior Court Judge Sohail Mohammedby GovChristie211,078 views
- 41:19 President Bill Clinton talks with Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey - CGI America 2013by Clinton Global Initiative22,481 views
- 7:15 Interview about BORAT on Fox and Friendsby travm414,279 views
- 8:03 The Last Word - Rush Limbaugh vs Gov. Chris Christieby Licentiathe8th16,142 views
- 6:58 Chris Christie Destroys John Boehner Over Hurricane Sandy Reliefby Chris Christie7,472 views
- 12:10 Governor Christie Press Briefing In Pompton Lakes On Hurricane Sandyby GovChristie22,214 views
- 18:31 Governor Christie Wednesday Evening Briefing On Hurricane Sandyby GovChristie8,098 views
- 16:07 People LOVE Gov. Chris Christie! His Question & Answer period after Reagan Library speech.by palgo57348,425 views
- 8:08 Governor Christie on MSNBC Morning Joe Provides Update Hurricane Sandyby GovChristie5,413 views
- 1:41:20 An Afternoon with Governor Chris Christieby HarvardEducation7,915 views
- 17:13 Governor Christie Thursday Afternoon Briefing On Hurricane Sandyby GovChristie4,412 views
- 15:38 Governor Christie Saturday Afternoon Hurricane Sandy Briefing In Little Ferryby GovChristie5,575 views
- Loading more suggestions...