This video is unavailable.
Forget What You Know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 9, 2012
Help us caption and translate this video on Amara.org: http://www.amara.org/en/v/BWTt/
Jacob Barnett is an American mathematician and child prodigy. At 8 years old, Jacob began sneaking into the back of college lectures at IUPUI. After being diagnosed with autism since the age of two and placed in his school's special ed. program, Jacob's teachers and doctors were astonished to learn he was able to teach calculus to college students.
At age nine, while playing with shapes, Jacob built a series of mathematical models that expanded Einstein's field of relativity. A professor at Princeton reviewed his work and confirmed that it was groundbreaking and could someday result in a Nobel Prize. At age 10, Jacob was formally accepted to the University as a full-time college student and went straight into a paid research position in the field of condensed matter physics. For his original work in this field, Jacob set a record, becoming the world's youngest astrophysics researcher. His paper was subsequently accepted for publication by Physical Review A, a scientific journal shared on sites such as NASA, the Smithsonian, and Harvard's webpage. Jacob's work aims to help improve the way light travels in technology.
Jacob is also CEO and founder of Wheel LLC, a business he started in his mom's garage, and is in the process of writing a book to help end "math phobia" in his generation.
Jacob's favorite pastime is playing basketball with the kids at his charity, Jacob's Place. It is a place where kids with autism are inspired every day to be their true authentic selves...just like Jacob.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
Next in TEDxTeen - 3/31/2012
- 10:43 The Hidden Meanings in Kids' Movies: Colin Stokes at TEDxBeaconStreetby TEDxTalks 227,781 views
- 9:51 Why we procrastinate by Vik Nithy @ TEDxYouth@TheScotsCollegeby TEDxTalks 292,363 views
- 11:14 Hackschooling Makes Me Happy: Logan LaPlante at TEDxUniversityofNevadaby TEDxTalks 269,565 views
- 15:00 Why you will fail to have a great career: Larry Smith at TEDxUWby TEDxTalks 756,283 views
- 4:34 iPhone Application Developer... and 6th Grader: Thomas Suarez at TEDxManhattanBeachby TEDxTalks 2,168,557 views
- 19:20 TEDxAsheville - Adam Baker - Sell your crap. Pay your debt. Do what you love.by TEDxTalks 272,508 views
- 18:00 TEDxFiDiWomen - Alisa Vitti - Loving Your Lady Parts as a Path to Success, Power & Global Changeby TEDxTalks 140,715 views
- 15:48 TEDxBoulder - Thad Roberts - Visualizing Eleven Dimensionsby TEDxTalks 62,158 views
- 17:57 How To Find And Do Work You Love: Scott Dinsmore at TEDxGoldenGatePark (2D)by TEDxTalks 478,802 views
- 18:03 TEDxFiDiWomen - Lissa Rankin - The Shocking Truth About Your Healthby TEDxTalks 276,489 views
- 5:22 What's Wrong With Our Food System: Birke Baehr at TEDxNextGenerationAshevilleby TEDxTalks 1,172,135 views
- 20:03 TEDxSinCity - Bruce Muzik - The BIG Secret Nobody Wants To Tellby TEDxTalks 140,740 views
- 19:10 TEDxOrangeCoast - Daniel Amen - Change Your Brain, Change Your Lifeby TEDxTalks 153,326 views
- 13:21 TEDxRyersonU - Dr. Ivan Joseph - The Skill of Self Confidenceby TEDxTalks 174,475 views
- 19:27 TEDxSinCity - Bryan Franklin - The Most Dangerous Question On Earthby TEDxTalks 205,261 views
- 12:35 TEDxTeen - Mteto Maphoyi: The Power of Listeningby TEDxTalks 37,562 views
- 16:41 TEDxFiDiWomen - Gabrielle Bernstein - How To Be A Miracle Workerby TEDxTalks 139,209 views
- 16:45 The New Way to Work: Charlie Hoehn at TEDxCMU 2011by TEDxTalks 73,987 views
- 11:50 TEDxManhattanBeach - John Bennett - Why Math Instruction Is Unnecessaryby TEDxTalks 76,625 views