Fred Rogers Acceptance Speech - 1997
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 26, 2008
Fred Rogers Accepts the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 24th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.
Throughout his career Fred Rogers, both on television and off, emphasized the importance of creating a peaceful environment, and world where all children could grow and learn. "Our goal as a nation must be to make sure that no child is denied the chance to grow in knowledge and character from their very first years," Rogers said at a White House gathering for Early Childhood Initiative, a program for promoting literacy.
"In Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, every child is welcome into the world of learning -- not just a few, not just ones from certain neighborhoods, but every child."
Rogers was the recipient of two Peabody Awards, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award, and four Emmy Awards, including the Lifetime Achievement Award, which was bestowed to him in 1997. Rogers, known for always taking the time to remember, reminded the audience that night that thoughtful expression should be followed by thoughtful reflection. As a reminder, below is Mr. Rogers' acceptance speech.
"So many people have helped me to come here to this night. Some of you are here, some are far away and some are even in Heaven. All of us have special ones who loved us into being. Would you just take, along with me, 10 seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are, those who cared about you and wanted what was best for you in life. 10 seconds, I'll watch the time. Whomever you've been thinking about, how pleased they must be to know the difference you feel they have made. You know they're kind of people television does well to offer our world. Special thanks to my family, my friends, and my co-workers in Public Broadcasting and Family Communications, and to this Academy for encouraging me, allowing me, all these years to be your neighbor. May God be with you. Thank you very much."
A library of an astonishing 900 Mister Rogers' Neighborhood episodes will continue to be available for broadcast on PBS stations around the country.
For exclusive interviews with television legends, consider visiting the enormous archive of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences at http://www.youtube.com/tvlegends.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:28 Best Graduation Speech Everby JB VisionFeatured 302,714
- 2:29 Bob Barker Acceptance Speech - 1999by The Emmy Awards 39,793 views
- 4:47 Caroll Spinney Acceptance Speech - 2006by emmys 35,581 views
- 8:33 Mister Rogers on Tonight Show (1983)by fwbh 130,200 views
- 6:00 Fred Rogers inducted into the TV Hall of Fameby Julian Park 122,476 views
- 1:27 Mr Rogers Goodbye - YouTube.flvby Life,the Universe,& Everything 109,157 views
- Fred Rogers 4,094 videos170
- 6:47 Mister Rogers on The Rosie O'Donnell Showby FACEO15's Channel From GSN.COM 246,443 views
- 0:47 Koko meets Mr. Rogers, her favorite celebrityby Official Koko Channel 875,646 views
- 28:12 Mister Rogers' Neighborhood - Learning 1652by KoolOsker 9,647 views
- 28:55 Fred Rogers Interview Part 1 of 9 - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORGby TVLEGENDS 57,393 views
- 4:25 Mr Rogers Breakdancingby Kubop1977's channel 928,333 views
- 7:46 Margaret Hamilton on Mister Rogersby Til' I Hear You Sing Once MORE!!!! 135,062 views
- 1:05 Jeff & Mister Rogersby bemoretunedin 73,919 views
- 7:19 GREG BAUMHAUER DESTROYS A HECKLER...by Charlie Pang 1,116 views
- 5:12 Mr. Rogers Prank Calls A Cat Shelterby TNA02 96,998 views
- 5:37 Fred Rogers Lifetime Acheivement Award (1997)by fwbh 4,793 views
- 28:21 Mister Rogers' Neighborhood - Making Mistakes 1580by KoolOsker 83,359 views
- 6:51 It's You I Likeby hallospacegirl's channel 74,628 views
- 1:01 Fred Rogers talks about Tragic Events in the Newsby dawnzer 81,998 views
- 11:15 Jimmy's 1993 ESPY Speechby The V Foundation for Cancer Research 1,844,797 views
- Loading more suggestions...