Fred Rogers Acceptance Speech - 1997
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 26, 2008
Fred Rogers Accepts the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 24th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards.
Throughout his career Fred Rogers, both on television and off, emphasized the importance of creating a peaceful environment, and world where all children could grow and learn. "Our goal as a nation must be to make sure that no child is denied the chance to grow in knowledge and character from their very first years," Rogers said at a White House gathering for Early Childhood Initiative, a program for promoting literacy.
"In Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, every child is welcome into the world of learning -- not just a few, not just ones from certain neighborhoods, but every child."
Rogers was the recipient of two Peabody Awards, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award, and four Emmy Awards, including the Lifetime Achievement Award, which was bestowed to him in 1997. Rogers, known for always taking the time to remember, reminded the audience that night that thoughtful expression should be followed by thoughtful reflection. As a reminder, below is Mr. Rogers' acceptance speech.
"So many people have helped me to come here to this night. Some of you are here, some are far away and some are even in Heaven. All of us have special ones who loved us into being. Would you just take, along with me, 10 seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are, those who cared about you and wanted what was best for you in life. 10 seconds, I'll watch the time. Whomever you've been thinking about, how pleased they must be to know the difference you feel they have made. You know they're kind of people television does well to offer our world. Special thanks to my family, my friends, and my co-workers in Public Broadcasting and Family Communications, and to this Academy for encouraging me, allowing me, all these years to be your neighbor. May God be with you. Thank you very much."
A library of an astonishing 900 Mister Rogers' Neighborhood episodes will continue to be available for broadcast on PBS stations around the country.
For exclusive interviews with television legends, consider visiting the enormous archive of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences at http://www.youtube.com/tvlegends.
Standard YouTube License
- 9:05 50 Great Facts About The 50 States - mental_floss on YouTube (Ep.17)by Mental Floss Featured 1,826,483
- 3:38 Oprah Winfrey Acceptance Speech - 1998by emmys2,482,665 views
- 7:07 Susan Lucci Wins an Emmy Award for Lead Actressby emmys314,227 views
- 4:47 Caroll Spinney Acceptance Speech - 2006by emmys37,178 views
- 3:05 Tim Robbins Presents to Fred Rogers - 1997by emmys168,677 views
- 11:40 Mister Rogers TV Hall of Fame (Special Appearance by Jeff Erlanger) (1999)by fwbh139,418 views
- 8:33 Mister Rogers on Tonight Show (1983)by fwbh189,121 views
- 8 videos Play all Commercials - right in the feelsby mpdgatt
- 6:47 Mister Rogers on The Rosie O'Donnell Showby fwbh275,710 views
- 3:07 Memorable Oscar® acceptance speechby Oscars491,466 views
- 4:40 Jim Carrey - Mr. Rogers in a Video Storeby TangoBravoEcho1,222,503 views
- 2:12 Gallium Induced Structural Failure of a Coke Canby NurdRage2,953,922 views
- 9:59 Magic & Bird: A Courtship Of Rivals (Part 5)by CourtshipOfRivals206,359 views
- 5:37 Fred Rogers Lifetime Acheivement Award (1997)by fwbh8,577 views
- 3:47 Steve Martin Opens The AFI Life Achievement Award: A Tribute To Tom Hanksby afi853,821 views
- 15:43 Paper Transformed - Basic Water Marbling - Technique #1by ThePaperCastle65,771 views
- 7:20 Messy Mondays: The Top Ten Internet Clichésby Blimey Cow316,807 views
- 1:23 Seinfeld: Kramer on Marriageby TheSeinfeldScenes247,132 views
- 7:56 Custom John Deere Garden Tractor at Little G 2010by Onlyjds1,624,468 views
- 5:39 An Emotional Surprise Reunion!by TheEllenShow2,833,198 views