Places That Don't Exist: Trans-Dniester Part 1of4
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 11, 2008
Holidays in the Danger Zone: Places That Don't Exist
Author Simon Reeve undertakes a thrilling journey through the most obscure countries in the world -- Places That Don't Exist.
There are almost 200 official countries in the world, but there are dozens more breakaway states which are determined to be separate and independent. The breakaway states have their own rulers, parliaments or warlords, and are home to millions of people, but they're not officially recognised as proper countries by the rest of the world. Several have their own armies and police forces, and issue passports and even postage stamps which the rest of the world ignores.
All of the breakaway states have declared independence after violent struggles with a neighbouring state. Some now survive peacefully, but others are a magnet for terrorists and weapons smuggling, and have armies ready for a fight. All could be at the centre of future wars which threaten their regions and the wider world.
In a world of easy adventure tourism, Simon visits breakaway states & unrecognized nations which don't usually feature on the tourist trail: Somaliland, Transniestria, South Ossetia, Taiwan, Abkhazia, Ajaria and Nagorno-Karabkh.
In this series, Simon Reeve is taught to fish by the President of Moldova, becomes an unofficial Somali diplomat, and finds himself crammed into a lift with the President of Georgia.
He visits a little-known country stuck in a Soviet-era time-warp, and a mountainous state which claims to have the highest rate of longevity on the planet. Simon also discovers abandoned missiles capable of destroying skyscrapers, al Qaeda terrorists in an African jail and the mass graves of children killed by soldiers.
Simon meets a blonde popstar who's a crackshot with an AK-47, a mournful guitarist, and a Taiwanese boy band. He climbs the world's tallest building, visits the site of the battle in Black Hawk Down, is electrocuted in Mogadishu, finds 5,000 year old rock paintings, buys himself a new Somali passport from a man called Mr Big Beard, and is held as a spy by the Transniestrian KGB.
Snake blood is on the menu in Asia, rock-hard yoghurt in the Caucuses, camel milk in Africa and two bottles of cognac when Simon is forced to celebrate independence with a Communist politician.
He meets a villager who sold a kidney to buy a cow, and children forced to live in freezing railway carriages. Amid the minefields of Nagorno-Karabkh, Simon is pelted with snowballs by refugee children. But in the sweltering heat of Mogadishu he needs a dozen armed gunmen just to stay alive.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:19 Places That Don't Exist: Trans-Dniester Part 2of4by Simon Reeve27,526 views
- 7:14 Places That Don't Exist: Trans-Dniester Part 3of4by Simon Reeve22,706 views
- 6:04 Walking into a radioactive waste dumpby Simon Reeve166,998 views
- 3:33 Abandoned arms dump with missiles that can destroy skyscrapersby Simon Reeve79,320 views
- 1:18:11 12/16: Holidays in the Danger Zone - In The Axis Of Evil: Syria, Libya, Iran, Cubaby Yeni4eri1,011 views
- 1:17:51 MEET THE STANS -- episode 1&2: Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstanby Simon Reeve109,244 views
- 9:52 Places That Don't Exist: Somaliland Part 1by Simon Reeve101,256 views
- 8:00 Places That Don't Exist: Nagorno Karabakh 1 of 4by Simon Reeve42,524 views
- 29:05 PLACES THAT DONT EXIST: SOMALILAND (episode 1 of 5)by Simon Reeve59,952 views
- 29:08 PLACES THAT DONT EXIST: SOUTH OSSETIA (episode 3 of 5)by Simon Reeve31,652 views
- 29:12 PLACES THAT DONT EXIST: NAGORNO KARABAKH (episode 4 of 5)by Simon Reeve31,156 views
- 29:16 PLACES THAT DON'T EXIST: TRANSDNIESTRIA (episode 2 of 5)by Simon Reeve45,539 views
- 29:07 PLACES THAT DONT EXIST: TAIWAN (episode 5 of 5)by Simon Reeve35,610 views
- 1:18:09 07/16: Holidays in the Danger Zone - The Violent Coast: Ivory Coast, Benin and Nigeriaby Yeni4eri986 views
- 52:03 Equator - Rivers of the Sun - Amazoniaby locdog8223,052 views
- 6:54 Places That Don't Exist: Trans-Dniester Part 4of4by Simon Reeve26,008 views
- 1:23:16 11/16: Holidays in the Danger Zone - In The Axis Of Evil: North Korea & Iraqby Yeni4eri5,302 views
- 5:20 Places That Don't Exist: Nagorno Karabakh 4 of 4by Simon Reeve24,672 views
- 8:00 Places That Don't Exist: Nagorno Karabakh 3 of 4by Simon Reeve19,321 views
- 58:50 BBC This World 2012 Cuba with Simon Reeveby Jerome Jackson17,635 views
- Loading more suggestions...