Casio AT-550 Touch Screen Calculator Watch (1984)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 24, 2012
The AT-550 was an incredible watch for its time, or even for today. It had a capacitive touch screen, and that was used to operate the built-in calculator. How it did so trumps even the fact that a watch released in 1984 had a touch screen, much less at a price of under $100. To enter numbers and the numerical operators, one just "wrote" them with a finger, by tracing the appropriate shape on the watches crystal.
Yes the recognizer was slow, and one had to draw the characters carefully. But this was 28 years ago - the same year that the first Macintosh was released, and the year that Mark Zuckerberg was born! That is, this watch did this over 18 Moores' Laws ago. That means, if the chip that did this existed today, it would have 262,144 (over a quarter of a million) times the computational power that it had then!
Now consider this: the technique used was such that one could enter numbers and operators eyes free. In today's age of texting and Tweeting, notice that that is something that you cannot do using any of the touch screens available on today's "smart" phones - at least that I am aware of.
And, by the way, note that in the same year, Casio also released another watch - also in my collection - the DB1000 Telememo 50, that not only used the touch screen to work with its calculator, but also to enter, edit, and retrieve up to 50 names and phone numbers from its data bank!
When confronted with today's touch-screen "smart" phones, instead of patting ourselves on the back for being so clever, what these wtches say to me is, "What the heck have we been doing for the past 28 years?
The past isn't just about quaint old stuff. It keeps us honest, informs future designs, and helps us set the bar at an appropriate level.
To learn more about this watch and other interesting devices from our history, see the Buxton Collection: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/u...
Standard YouTube License
- 1:29:57 Sketching and Experience Designby StanfordUniversity43,080 views
- 13:32 2013 Korea Open (ms-final) XU Xin - MA Long [Full Match/Short Form]by janus77014,391 views
- 4:25 Marvin Minsky: Mind As Society (excerpt) - Thinking Allowed DVD w/ Jeffrey Mishloveby ThinkingAllowedTV7,680 views
- 2:46 Casio AQ 230 wristwatch 2012 / 2013, Functionsby Luxtorpeda LT1,020 views
- 10:48 Prof. Bill Buxton Predicts the End of Personal Computers.by AllanGregg1,024 views
- 11:45 How to Steal A Watch Right Off His Wrist - Scam Schoolby Revision31,109,323 views
- 9:01 Talking Watches With John Mayerby HodinkeeVideos66,434 views
- 6:51 Amazing Old Calculator (Curta) - Numberphileby Numberphile352,136 views
- 45:50 Broad Peak 1st Ascent: An Interview with Qader Saeedby Bill Buxton83 views
- 11:54 Casio G-Shock Bluetooth Watch GB6900AA Review by Valencia Time Centerby Valencia Time Center102,039 views
- 3:58 Digital Watches, Vintage Early Digital LCD Watches, Rare Nerd Casio Seiko Alarm Chronographs & Vintage G-shocksby 70swatches42,805 views
- 4:35 GD910 Ultra-thin Watch Mobile Phone + Keyboardby milkhoneyland182,761 views
- 2:41 CASIO VDB-3000 / 3100 Touchscreenby MrDanielWC2,389 views
- 5:26 I used Google Glassby The Verge3,089,567 views
- 1:36 Casio VDB 1000by matze101muc8,406 views
- 5:14 $40 ebay CASIO CALCULATOR WATCH DBC-32D-1A unboxing & time settingby moskoDK7,976 views
- 3:12 How To Use Scientific Calculatorsby videojugeducation13,491 views
- 17:38 Casio G'zOne Commando 4G LTE Reviewby PhoneArena36,186 views
- 7:05 Hong Kong's Million-Dollar Watchesby WSJDigitalNetwork360,275 views
- 9:18 How to Change a Watch Battery with Normal Toolsby RichsMethods218,992 views
- Loading more suggestions...