- Music : Al Teller - Former head of CBS, Columbia, and MCA Records
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 9, 2011
In this week's episode of This Week In Music, Al Teller, former head of CBS, Columbia, and MCA Records, joins Ian Rogers in studio to talk about the music industry past and present. In a fascinating interview, Al talks about going into the music industry after receiving two engineering degrees from Columbia and a Harvard MBA, how the industry evolved over the past 30 years, and where he sees the future of the business going.
00:00 - Intro
00:24 - Ian introduces Al Teller
01:36 - "Coming from an Engineering background, how did you find your way into the music world?"
03:52 -"What drove you towards the management side of the business?"
07:07- "Was it a much easier business once upon a time because you had distribution and marketing?"
09:56 -"How, in your experience, did the business change between the 70's and 80's?"
12:28 - "When did all the various tech disruptions in the music industry (production, distribution, etc) start disrupting the business?"
14:58 - "Just how big was distribution in the past?"
17:35 - "Mass-saturation radio play is still the most powerful way for an artist to connect with a fan"
20:45 - "It seems that the music industry always relies on entities that don't actually care about the future of music...A big moment in the downfall of the music business, pre-internet, is when the big-box retailers became the strongest retailers in music. Do you share that view?"
22:32 - "Define a rack-jobber"
24:00 - "Was it your love of technology and love of music that made you decide that the Internet was the future?"
31:52 - Discussing INgrooves distribution platform
32:50 - "What would your advice be to someone that would be trying to start a new label in today's age?"
35:21 - "Is the music business less interesting today than when you first got into it?"
37:10 - "What would your advice be to an entrepreneur who wants to work in the music space?"
41:31 - Zoe Rogers, General Manager, WMBR, Cambridge, MA joins Ian to talk about her favorite summer concerts.
42:30 - Discussion of the venue The Royale in Boston
43:16 - Yeasayer
43:25 - Smith Westerns
46:00 - Breakfast of Champions Podcast information 8am-10am EST wmbr.org
47:15 -TWiMusic Online info
Special thanks to our media partner Billboard.biz for their support!
Next in - Music: Season 2
- 47:36 - This Week In Music - Mike D - Beastie Boysby This Week In Startups16,268 views
- 46:01 - This Week In Music - Kina Grannis - Singer-Songwriterby This Week In Startups11,505 views
- 39:27 - Music - This Week in Music - Jay Frank, CEO DigSinby This Week In Startups4,893 views
- 22:37 My Testimony Working In The Music Industry "The Music Industry Exposed"by OperationReapSouls37,512 views
- 10:59 Satanisme Illuminati dévoilé dans l'industrie de la musique (3/10) Qui est Rain Man?1/2by ANTILLUMINATI La vérité révélée275 views
- 2:29:50 Former Satanist shows everyday occultism.by kwcgladius1,032,950 views
- 49:50 This Week In Music - Marc Geigerby This Week In Startups12,588 views
- 10:19 - Pensado's Place - ITL #28 - Lead Vocal Processingby This Week In Startups34,570 views
- 52:01 Columbia The Illuminati Goddessby Freeman Fly40,213 views
- 38:33 This Week in Music - Jeff Jampol, Managerby This Week In Startups10,000 views
- 35:37 - Music - This Week in Music - Jim Donio, President of NARMby This Week In Startups26,502 views
- 31:50 Music business 101: Real Adviceby Kamal Imani56,986 views
- 13:13 What Seth Godin Can Teach The Music Industry - Part 2by Cyber PR10,688 views
- 43:23 - This Week In Music - Andy Gould - Manager (Rob Zombie, Guns n Roses, Morrissey)by This Week In Startups6,221 views
- 10:29 THE MUSIC INDUSTRY EXPOSED - part 1by ThisDaTruthTv22,153 views
- 38:36 Satanism & The Music Industry 2013by Fijitime51,085 views
- 1:53:16 Unveiling The Truth #02: The Music Industry And The Illuminati (2013-10-19)by Unveiling The Truth2,032 views
- 37:56 - This Week In Music - Rio Caraeff - CEO/President of VEVOby This Week In Startups8,536 views
- 30:00 This Week In Music - Robb McDaniels, CEO of INgroovesby This Week In Startups3,075 views