Latin Grammys 2012 with Chuey Martinez
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 19, 2012
The XIII Annual Latin GRAMMY Awards not only lived up to its billing as The Biggest Night in Latin Music, it proved to be the biggest party in Latin music with one dynamic musical performance after another. Taking place Nov. 15 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, the party certainly didn't stop for brother-and-sister pop/rock duo Jesse & Joy, who won four Latin GRAMMY Awards, including Song Of The Year award for "¡Corre!" Also picking up Latin GRAMMYs were Juanes, Carla Morrison, Don Omar, and Arturo Sandoval, who won two awards each.
A nonstop party indeed. The telecast began in true epic fashion with Cuban-American rapper Pitbull's flashy Las Vegas-style spectacle. Surrounded by a bevy of dancing beauties, Pitbull emerged on a stage reminiscent of an old "sword-and-sandals" B movie and performed his hit single "Don't Stop The Party" from his new album Global Warming. The title of the song, of course, underscores the seemingly endless richness to be found in la música Latina and its myriad genres, many of which were on display throughout the evening.
Latin music fans will remember this as the night that history was made. For the first time ever, Latin rock pioneer Carlos Santana was joined by Colombian superstar Juanes for a performance of "Fijate Bien," the title track from Juanes' debut album. Strapped with an orange electric guitar, Santana played some of his distinctive riffs while Juanes sang backed by a collective of soulful vocalists. The song sounded as vital as when it was first released 12 years ago. It's no wonder Juanes has continued to make his presence felt at the Latin GRAMMYs. He took home two awards bringing his grand career total to 19, tying Calle 13 for the most Latin GRAMMYs in history.
Perhaps one of the most versatile singer/songwriters, having penned songs in nearly every regional Mexican genre, Joan Sebastian appeared surrounded by a tuneful mariachi ensemble enriched by a saxophone player. His rendition of "Diséñame" from Un Lujo, an album recorded in collaboration with Lucero, was particularly romantic. Illustrating the most recent developments in thumping Latin electronica, Mexican trio and Latin GRAMMY Best New Artist winners 3Ball MTY were joined by America Sierra, El Bebeto and LMFAO's Sky Blu for a tasty medley of dance-pop, including "Inténtalo" and the ubiquitous "Party Rock Anthem," the latter of which had everyone shuffling.
It would be foolish to deny the impact that electronica has had on popular music during the past 20 years, and the Latin genre is certainly no exception. Spanish producer/DJ Juan Magán has claimed a place of honor in the sphere of global electronica with remixes for the likes of Nelly Furtado and Paulina Rubio. Surrounded by the obligatory battalion of beautiful dancing women, Magán performed bouncy renditions of "Se Vuelve Loca" and "No Sigue Modas."
Taking the party atmosphere down a notch, Spanish singer/songwriter Alejandro Sanz took the stage solo to perform a stunning version of the melancholy ballad "No Me Compares." A taste of Brazil provided a welcome change of pace with Michel Teló, who was backed by Las Vegas' Blue Man Group for a performance of "Ai Se Eu Te Pego."
Adding more Las Vegas flare to the show were Mexican brother-and-sister duo, and previous Latin GRAMMY Best New Artist winners, Jesse & Joy, who were joined by members of Vegas' Le Rêve for a delightful stripped-down performance of the Song Of The Year Latin GRAMMY-winning "¡Corre!" Next, it was time for everyone to experience the massive power of an authentic Afro-Caribbean orchestra. A true master of this format, Dominican singer/songwriter Juan Luis Guerra made everyone in the audience shake their hips with "En El Cielo No Hay Hospital," a rollicking merengue anchored on sticky sax riffs and syncopated tambora beats.
Fittingly, the show came full circle with a climax of bouncy beats and Latin rap madness featuring Pitbull. Joined by Dominican vocalist Sensato and Spanish DJ Sak Noel, the rapper performed a provocative version of mega-hit "Crazy People."
From the comforting strains of ranchera and bachata to the envelope-pushing soundscapes of electronica and hip-hop, this year's Latin GRAMMY Awards ceremony painted a vivid picture of Latin music as a vast, ever-evolving canvas brimming with color, feeling and texture. A nonstop party indeed.
Standard YouTube License
- 39:57 Antonio Carlos Jobim - Stone Flower - Full Albumby roberto3582 Featured 756,961
- 13:19 Iggy Azalea: Best Interview Everby Chuey Martinez71,278 views
- 4:01 Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal Studios Hollywoodby Chuey Martinez1,804 views
- 1:31 Scarface - Tony Montana Gets a Tiger - Episode #2by Chuey Martinez10,320 views
- 4:16 Wreck-It Ralph: John C. Reillyby Chuey Martinez291 views
- 2:15:19 Latin Grammy 2013 Completoby Caty Corraliza10,869 views
- 34:25 Juan Gabriel En Vivo Premios Latin Grammy's (show completo)by sonidomanzana .348,151 views
- 1:05:10 Lila Downs Y La Misteriosa (Live Paris)by Coraline Guðmundsdóttir263,382 views
- 4:02 Premios Latin Grammy 2012 - Lila Downsby ELMASTERPRODUCTIONS4,132 views
- 20:36 Fiesta de la radioby Memolombardo Tello2,002 views
- 1:39:20 Tortilla leves (teljes film) 2001by Filmek Candy127,224 views
- 3:22 Premios Latin Grammy 2012 - Sheyla Durcal (ya no rregresoby ELMASTERPRODUCTIONS5,741 views
- 45:33 La Alfombra Verde de los XIII Latin Grammy Awards Nov. 15, 2012by SuNShinEGca0714,111 views
- 10:10 PART2: OnSet LATIN GRAMMY NOMINATED PITBULL'S SENSATO & FITO BLANKO'S Video ft PIT/ SAK NOELby CELEBJournalist1,157 views
- 3:43 Carla Morrison - Eres tú (Pulsar 2012)by Bárbara Necochea1,400 views
- 5:28 Michel Legrand Orchestra - Once Upon a Summertime - Featuring Arturo Sandovalby ifcopod820 views
- 13:30 Pt. 1 "Intentalo" 3Ball Mty - 5 De Mayo Whittier Narrow Live 2012by Akboy Lopez46,010 views
- 2:52 Premios Latin Grammy 2012 - Juan Luis Guerra (en el cielo no hay hospitalby ELMASTERPRODUCTIONS4,136 views
- 5:32 ANGELES AZULES Y LILA DOWNS EL LISTON DE TU PELOby Karina Hernandez37,002 views
- 3:33 Daniela Romo y Sergio Dalma (Yo no te pido la Luna)HD- Latin Grammy 2012by CYBER88USA104,102 views
- Loading more suggestions...