The Whitehouse Coup (1933) 1 of 3
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 21, 2008
The "Business Plot" (also the Plot Against FDR and the White House Putsch) was an alleged political conspiracy in 1933 wherein wealthy businessmen and corporations plotted a coup détat to overthrow United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt. In 1934, the Business Plot was publicly revealed by retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler testifying to the McCormack-Dickstein Congressional Committee. In his testimony, Butler claimed that a group of men had approached him as part of a plot to overthrow Roosevelt in a military coup. One of the alleged plotters, Gerald MacGuire, vehemently denied any such plot. In their final report, the Congressional committee supported Butler's allegations of the existence of the plot, but no prosecutions or further investigations followed, and the matter was mostly forgotten.
On July 17, 1932, thousands of World War I veterans converged on Washington, D.C., set up tent camps, and demanded immediate payment of bonuses due them according to the Adjusted Service Certificate Law of 1924. This "Bonus Army" was led by Walter W. Waters, a former Army sergeant. The Army was encouraged by an appearance from retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler, who had considerable influence over the veterans, being one of the most popular military figures of the time. A few days after Butler's arrival, President Herbert Hoover ordered the marchers removed, and their camps were destroyed by US Army cavalry troops under the command of General Douglas MacArthur.
Butler, although a self-described Republican, responded by supporting Roosevelt in that year's election.
In a 1995 History Today article Clayton Cramer argued that the devastation of the Great Depression had caused many Americans to question the foundations of liberal democracy. "Many traditionalists, here and in Europe, toyed with the ideas of Fascism and National Socialism; many liberals dallied with Socialism and Communism." Cramer argues that this explains why some American business leaders viewed fascism as a viable system to both preserve their interests and end the economic woes of the Depression.
***audio is available for free using Realplayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/d...
Standard YouTube License
- 8:20 The Whitehouse Coup (1933) 2 of 3by ThisWeekInFascism 32,038 views
- 29:13 Bush's Grandfather Led Nazi Coup Against White House in 1933by ConspiracyScope 10,948 views
- 6:40 Prescott Bush Interview : Pt. 1by dumbbell33 28,624 views
- 9:09 Major General Smedley D. Butler Expose Fascist Coup in US. (1934)by OccultAgenda 3,035 views
- 2:13 Ralph Nader on Smedley Butlerby argusfest 1,115 views
- 40:50 The Fascist Plot to Overthrow FDR (FULL LENGTH)by Federaljacktube's channel 970 views
- 9:00 Mind blowing speech by Robert Welch in 1958 predicting Insiders plans to destroy Americaby Freedom isn't Free 871,524 views
- 9:58 Iran Contra Coverup: 1 of 8by ThisWeekInFascism 99,868 views
- 8:24 History of the Bush Familyby truestoriesvideoblog 95,177 views
- 1:53:40 The Obama Deception HQ Full length versionby ChangeDaChannel 12,914,014 views
- 21:36 Jesse Ventura Interview - American Conspiraciesby TYTInterviews 88,024 views
- 21:41 Fly American! 1933by The Travel Film Archive 119,532 views
- 9:46 FDR: A Presidency Revealed: Part 1by MrJewboy911 30,544 views
- 17:57 Smedley Butler: American Hero and Patriotby rltmlt 1,139 views
- 3:01 Operation Northwoods Exposed (MUST-SEE VIDEO!!)by Conspiracy Theorist Clothing 344,759 views
- 26:37 General Smedley Butler & the Police State Plot of 1933by TheRapeOfJustice 306 views
- 9:56 U.S Soldiers Against "The Banksters War" pt.1by Mike Rambo 7,079 views
- 9:19 March of the Bonus Army - Part 2by DisabledVeterans 25,055 views
- 7:11 Mike Connell Killed. Karl Rove Thrilled?by ThisWeekinFascism (It's The Corporatism, Stupid.) 33,081 views
- 8:13 Wes Clark - America's Foreign Policy "Coup"by FORA.tv 72,741 views
- Loading more suggestions...