Paul Ryan - Republican Address to the Nation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 25, 2011
SPENDING: "In one of our first acts in the new majority, House Republicans voted to cut Congress's own budget. And just today, the House voted to restore the spending discipline that Washington sorely needs. The reason is simple. A few years ago, reducing spending was important. Today, it's imperative. Here's why. We face a crushing burden of debt. The debt will soon eclipse our entire economy, and grow to catastrophic levels in the years ahead. On this current path, when my three children -- who are now 6, 7, and 8 years old -- are raising their own children, the federal government will double in size, and so will the taxes they pay. No economy can sustain such high levels of debt and taxation. The next generation will inherit a stagnant economy and a diminished country. Frankly, it's one of my greatest concerns as a parent -- and I know many of you feel the same way."
BUDGET: "Americans are skeptical of both political parties, and that skepticism is justified -- especially when it comes to spending. So hold all of us accountable. In this very room, the House will produce, debate, and advance a budget. Last year -- in an unprecedented failure -- Congress chose not to pass, or even propose a budget. The spending spree continued unchecked. We owe you a better choice and a different vision. Our forthcoming budget is our obligation to you -- to show you how we intend to do things differently, how we will cut spending to get the debt down, help create jobs and prosperity, and reform government programs."
FISCAL CHALLENGE AHEAD: "Our nation is approaching a tipping point. We are at a moment, where if government's growth is left unchecked and unchallenged, America's best century will be considered our past century. This is a future in which we will transform our social safety net into a hammock, which lulls able-bodied people into lives of complacency and dependency. Depending on bureaucracy to foster innovation, competitiveness, and wise consumer choices has never worked -- and it won't work now. We need to chart a new course."
DEBT LIMIT: "Whether sold as 'stimulus' or repackaged as 'investment,' their actions show they want a federal government that controls too much; taxes too much; and spends too much in order to do too much. And during the last two years, that is exactly what we have gotten -- along with record deficits and debt -- to the point where the President is now urging Congress to increase the debt limit. We believe the days of business as usual must come to an end. We hold to a couple of simple convictions: Endless borrowing is not a strategy; spending cuts have to come first."
ROLE OF GOVERNMENT: "We believe government's role is both vital and limited -- to defend the nation from attack and provide for the common defense; to secure our borders; to protect innocent life; to uphold our laws and Constitutional rights; to ensure domestic tranquility and equal opportunity; and to help provide a safety net for those who cannot provide for themselves. We believe that the government has an important role to create the conditions that promote entrepreneurship, upward mobility, and individual responsibility. We believe, as our founders did, that 'the pursuit of happiness' depends upon individual liberty; and individual liberty requires limited government. Limited government also means effective government. When government takes on too many tasks, it usually doesn't do any of them very well. It's no coincidence that trust in government is at an all-time low now that the size of government is at an all-time high."
LIMITED GOVERNMENT: "We need to reclaim our American system of limited government, low taxes, reasonable regulations, and sound money, which has blessed us with unprecedented prosperity. And it has done more to help the poor than any other economic system ever designed. That's the real secret to job creation -- not borrowing and spending more money in Washington. Limited government and free enterprise have helped make America the greatest nation on earth."
Standard YouTube License
- 7:09 Paul Ryan Budget Plan Explainedby The Young Turks Featured 51,094
- 11:41 Paul Ryan: Washington's Spending Spree is Over; Need Honest Leadership and Path to Prosperityby HouseBudgetCommittee2,815 views
- 5:13 Paul Ryan: President's Budget Represents a Failure of Leadershipby HouseBudgetCommittee840 views
- 12:54 Paul Ryan: President's Budget a Test of Leadershipby HouseBudgetCommittee1,923 views
- 7:44 Paul Ryan: "We Will Address the Drivers of Our Debt"by HouseBudgetCommittee2,482 views
- 1:30:51 Full VP Debate - Joe Biden and Paul Ryan - Vice Presidential Debate Fullby WSJDigitalNetwork25,249 views
- 4:33 Nelson Mandela Death: Obama Remembers 'Profoundly Good' Manby The New York Times13,908 views
- 4:31 President Obama Mourns the Death of Nelson Mandelaby WSJDigitalNetwork28,145 views
- 10:48 Paul Ryan's GOP Response to State of the Union 2011by CBSNewsOnline39,032 views
- 2:53 Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) To Obama: "You're Not Listening" To The People!by Greg Hengler133,723 views
- 9:34 Ron Paul and Rand Paul in Congress - Fox News (Neil Cavuto)by flex4live598 views
- 6:12 Paul Ryan destroys Obama on health care reformby JPB2096,733 views
- 5:02 Paul Ryan on spending cuts and economic growthby RepPaulRyan2,199 views
- 7:22 Wasatch Powderbird Guidesby Park City Television2,388 views
- 6:12 Paul Ryan Takes Apart Obamacare in 6 Minutesby GooberTheUncouth512,659 views
- 16:26 Tim Ferriss: How to feel like the Incredible Hulkby TED279,228 views
- 1:09 Paul Ryan: The Choice of Two Futuresby RepPaulRyan6,359 views
- 6:12 Part 2: Rep Paul Ryan Part 2.mpgby bslack300010,305 views
- 5:33 IRS Hearings - Paul Ryan Nails it !!!!!by David Anton41,862 views
- 4:08 Paul Ryan Votes to Stop Destructive Policiesby RepPaulRyan19,269 views
- Loading more suggestions...