Sensology by Michel Gagné - HD 720P - Music by Paul Plimley and Barry Guy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 3, 2010
Back in June 2006, I was invited to the Vancouver International Jazz Festival by Coastal Jazz's manager of artistic programming, the amazing Rainbow Robert. That's where I heard piano improvisor, Paul Plimley for the first time. As Paul played, I closed my eyes and had an intense synesthetic experience. When the show ended, I immediately started feeling a compulsion to express in animation what I had just experienced. I shared my thoughts with Rainbow and to my delight, she said to me, "That's why I brought you here, I was hoping you'd say that!"
I've wanted to do an abstract animated film ever since I discovered the work of Oscar Fischinger, Norman Mclaren, Kandinsky, Yves Tanguy and many others. I knew that Paul's music, was the perfect catalyst to get started on such a project.
Upon returning to my studio, I immediately got a hold of several musical pieces by Paul and started experimenting with animation. After a few weeks of trial and error, I started animating a musical triptych from the album, "Sensology": a brilliant duo with bassist Bary Guy, which was recorded on November 9th, 1995, at the Western Front in Vancouver, Canada
The creation of this film was a true spiritual and artistic journey. Sometimes, I felt like I was channeling the images. I did no storyboards and virtually no preliminary work. I animated in a stream of consciousness, one frame at a time at a rate of 30 frames per second. The shapes revealed themselves as I listened to the music over and over again. The process was intensely focused and required large amount of concentration. I was becoming part of the music and expressing my creativity at its rawest and most primal. Like Kandinski tought us, every shape and sound has a equal vibration in the soul. When Paul Plimley saw a portion of the film for the first time, he said to me with tears in his eyes, "It's like you read my soul."
Sensology was handdrawn (painted) with a Wacon tablet at first, and later, a Cintiq, using Adobe Photoshop. The drawings and frames were then composited and manipulated in a 2D software called Animo. There is no vector animation at any point in the film.
Because a film needs to be 24 FPS for theatrical projection, I had to create a new master which took quite a bit of creativity and effort in order to preserve as much of the animation as possible. Fortunately, the 24 FPS version looks good and nobody but me will ever see the difference. The version posted on YouTube is 30 FPS.
A 9-second teaser of Sensology was posted on line in the Fall of 2006 and resulted in Pixar contacting me to do the abstract taste visualization for the film Ratatouille.
Sensology was completed in July, 2010. It premiered in Los Angeles at the Laemmle's Fallbrook 7 in West Hills, CA on July 30th, 2010, where it was shown for three consecutive days.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Lyrical Amber, Hand Held" on
Paul Plimley, Barry Guy
- 6:50 Love & Theftby the popular art of animationFeatured 868,461
- 9:11 HUNGUby National Film Board of Canada 716,570 views
- 4:13 Doll Faceby andrewhu 5,207,631 views
- 2:36 "Wild Dogs" - Animated Short by Catherine Hicksby cathicksartist 683,534 views
- 8:45 Replay - Amazing Animated Short Film by Talantis Films Distributionby Aniboom - Home of animation 2,560,305 views
- 0:56 "The Cow Who Wanted to be a Hamburger" clip - by Bill Plymptonby Plymptoons 49,574 views
- 5:59 Attraction Shadow Theatre Grouo On BritaIn'S Got Talent 2013by Zalan Zé 198,162 views
- 12 videos Play all Oskar Fischingerby XZanthiadotcom
- 5:25 "Bottle" by Kirsten Lepore (Official video)by kirstenlepore 1,020,024 views
- 5:16 Abstract Animation - Galactic Raptor [HD]by Compleks 17,009 views
- 2:20 Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - 720P - Shadow Planet Productionsby Michel Gagne 80,016 views
- 2:01 Medusa 2D short film (Nick DiLiberto)by Nick DiLiberto 65,411 views
- 2:00 le silence sous l'écorceby joanna lurie 14,277 views
- 5:58 Attraction Shadow Theatre on Britain's Got Talent 2013by canarysong2000 121,694 views
- 1:04 Urs - Trailerby Moritz Mayerhofer 37,533 views
- 4:28 Nostalgia Critic's Disneycember - Ratatouilleby Garrus Vakarian 61,790 views
- 4:04 Tir Nan Og - animated short film directed by Fursy Teyssierby Chaîne de lesdiscrets 885,567 views
- 4:04 Owl City - Fireflies (HD 720P) [Music Video]by Subscribe!! 50,717 views
- 3:33 Prelude to Edenby Jones135 19,128 views
- 5:52 Vetrix - Lights Blinking OFFICIAL Clipby vtxmusic 5,030 views
- 9:55 BIG BANG BIG BOOM - the new wall-painted animation by BLUby notblu 2,839,628 views
- Loading more suggestions...