Brain Cells - Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 3, 2012
This film gives a overview of the structure and function of brain cells, and what happens to them when the brain is affected by dementia.
"The brain is made up of millions of nerve cells. Nerve cells are specially designed for their function. They are elongated with many tentacle-like projections, called dendrites, that allow them to make contact with the cells around them. The dendrites form many connections, creating an intricate network between the cells.
The point where two cells meet is called a synapse. Messages are passed along and between cells through tiny electrical impulses and chemical messengers. This is the basis for how the brain works. This is how the brain coordinates our movements, our thoughts and our memories. If something stops the cells from doing their job, this can result in dementia.
Nerve cells are like any other cells in the body -- they need oxygen and nutrients to stay alive. They also rely on close contact with neighbouring cells. If a nerve cell is starved of oxygen or nutrients, or becomes isolated from its neighbours it will die."
Please watch our other videos to see how brain cells function, hear what dementia is, and to hear more about Alzheimer's disease, Posterior Cortical Atrophy, vascular dementia, dementia with Lewy bodies, fronto-temporal dementia and other rarer causes of dementia.
Alzheimer's Society is dedicated to defeating dementia through research. Our unique research programme funds research into the cause, cure, care and prevention of dementia to improve treatment for people today and to search for a cure for tomorrow.
We are the only organisation to work with leading scientists and people affected by dementia to ensure our research influences practice and transforms lives. With the right investment, dementia can be defeated.
If you have found this tool useful please consider donating to our research programme by following this link
Interested in getting the latest updates from the Society?
Follow us on Twitter -- http://www.twitter.com/alzheimerssoc
Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/alzheimersso...
Who are we?
Alzheimer's Society is the leading support and research charity for people with dementia, their families and carers.
There are 800,000 people with dementia in the UK with numbers set to rise to one million by 2021.
What is dementia?
The term 'dementia' is used to describe the symptoms that occur when the brain is affected by specific diseases and conditions. Symptoms of dementia include loss of memory, confusion and problems with speech and understanding.
Support the fight against dementia and visit us at
Leading the fight against dementia
© Alzheimer's Society 2012. Registered Charity No. 296645.
Standard YouTube License
Next in Dementia brain tour
- 6:11 Lucid Dream Creator - Brain Manipulation with Iso Chronic Tones & Binaural Beatsby GowerEntertainmentFeatured 8,174
- 1:37 What is Alzheimer's Disease? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 21,336 views
- 1:07 What is Fronto Temporal Dementia? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 10,437 views
- 1:06 What is Vascular Dementia? Alzheimer's Society Dementia Brain Videoby AlzheimersSociety 16,985 views
- 3:05 Frontotemporal Dementiaby Mayo Clinic 46,556 views
- Neuron 6,720 videos120
- 2:03 Are You Growing New Brain Cells?by Dave Flang 16,052 views
- 56:58 FTD - Planning for Hope: Living with Frontotemporal Disease, a 1-hr documentary filmby FTDPlanningForHope 8,129 views
- 8:05 Experience 12 Minutes In Alzheimer's Dementiaby AlzheimersWeekly 39,252 views
- 5:14 5 years after diagnosis of Frontotemporal dementiaby Holly Eburne 4,014 views
- 3:08 Dementia cause, cure, care and prevention: Alzheimer's Society Researchby AlzheimersSociety 3,751 views
- 1:28:13 Alzheimer's Disease and Frontotemporal Dementiaby UCtelevision 5,940 views
- 1:27 How to Care for Someone Living with Alzheimer's, Dementia or Memory Lossby MonkeySee 6,087 views
- 1:00:12 New Insights into Lewy body dementias-20111005 1601-1.wmvby LBDAtv 3,201 views
- 3:31 Introduction to Brain Structure and Functionby elearning for School Science 89,816 views
- 2:49 Vascular dementia carer's storyby nhslocal 4,478 views
- 10:00 Difficulties in Diagnosing Lewy Body Dementia - pt 1by LBDAtv 15,151 views
- 2:40 Pinoy caregiver catched on cam hitting 80-year-old patient in Londonby Mark Henry Pinpin 21,191 views
- 5:26 Caregivers of FTD patientsby UCSFMemoryandAging 18,269 views
- 2:03 Alzheimer, a doença da alma.by Laura Botelho 31,806 views
- 7:07 Alzheimer's Sundown Syndrome - awake all nightby howard251a 21,856 views
- Loading more suggestions...