Giuseppi Logan playing Begin the Beguine NYC jazz musician composer Tompkin Square Park
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 14, 2008
Giuseppi Logan is alive despite misinformation that he had died and you can see him playing Begin Beguine in Tompkins Square Park.
Jan. 14, 2008 just remade this video with the rumor announcement he will be playing at Bowery Poetry Club....
Below read what he expressed to me and listen to his moving performance in a deserted park near where he used to live in the '60's and I can't express to you how cold it was the morning I flimed this. I ran home and posted this youtube.
Giuseppe Logan is homeless and needs all kinds of patronage and support. It was a freezing bitter cold morning in Tompkin Square Park and the park was pretty desolate except for Giuseppe's heart felt moving rendition of Begin Beguine by Cole Porter...a magical East Village moment.
Tim Madison was the first person to reach out to me because my youtube and explain the history of Giuseppe's achievements and tell me how moving it was to watch my video. I was interviewed by Tim January 8 and he told me how moved he was by the video and he uplifted me with his knowledge and caring of GL. Tim is based in Michigan and he is very familiar with Giuseppe's records, contribution and history. He was able to contact Giuseppe because I posted his tele. no with his permission and I look forward to reading Tim's articles when they come out.
Giuseppe suggested I google him and here are just a few links plus a youtube of him in Tompkins so many years ago!
plus this youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSb-Jg... but the youtube has a different spelling....
I found this stunning photo of Giuseppe, please check out this photo!
He does have a contact telephone number 646-371-8022 and he told me he lived here in the East Village 1962 to 1979. Guiseppe Logan was on his way when he made the mistake of selling drugs and he got caught, went to prison and lost everything. When he got out he found his wife had divorced him and sold everything including his instruments. He had a difficult time returning to prison and a mental institution as well. It was so cold and no music appreciaters except me so he quickly packed up. http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/01... (how ironic when Doug first posted this it was without my name story of my life...Doug's coverage is very moving and he fills in more heartbreaking pieces about GL's son and grandson.)
Giuseppe needs help and support and I am heart broken such a brilliant talent got side tracked and got lost and yet his talent still shines.
I want to fix the typo when I come up for air. I don't have a 30 million dollar budget but in that moment I felt I made a film, a powerful one that told a story with a 150 dollar camera and no crew. The typo reflects an imperfect but heart soul felt production and I do believe a film will be made down the road, an "urban Shine" that will tell his story and also a story about the drug laws being too harsh but most of all the enduring quality of the human spirit and the passion to creativity.
Thanks for your support of Giuseppe Logan and I really want my video to move you as deeply as I was moved or even more! I just redid this video removing the typo and adding the date for his performance.
Suzannah B. Troy
ps he is standing a few feet away from part of my poem The Going in a hexagon tile by the fountain which GL would appreciate, it is about facing ones death, mssing the people you love and the neighborhood (story is a ghost story about loving the neighborhood and it almost seems like he and I were ghosts artists drawn to each other.)
Standard YouTube License
- 35 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Giuseppi Logan playing Begin the Beguine NYC jazz musician composer Tompkin Square Park
- 42:12 Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter [FULL ALBUM] [HQ]by YourJazz Fix15,081 views
- 3:50:52 Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and Special Guests Leverkusen Jazz Fest Oct 9 1989 Completeby nijazz713,186 views
- 38:01 In A Silent Way - Miles Davis [FULL ALBUM] [HQ]by YourJazz Fix207,905 views
- 49:51 The Big Beat - Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers [FULL ALBUM] [HQ]by YourJazz Fix28,552 views
- 44:21 Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk [FULL ALBUM] [HQ]by YourJazz Fix18,512 views
- 30:20 Art Blakey Jazz Messengers 1987by Maurizio Zorzi2,308 views
- 17:07 Interview with Pawn Stars' Old Man, Richard Harrisonby youservedblogradio48,235 views
- 22 videos Play all Jazzby linatlin
- 50:19 Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers Moanin' (1958) Full Album.flvby jesucio14133,659 views
- 1:14:39 John Coltrane - Coltrane Plays The Blues (1962)by Paul Atreides165,490 views
- 28:33 Tompkins Square Park Rave - Lenny Deeby MagnumDB10,531 views
- 14:24 H.Hancock, W.Shorter, S.Clarke & O.Hakim -Cantelope Island-by sa024474218,652 views
- 8:11 Don Pullen - Round Midnightby barrtok13,751 views
- 13:38 Art Blakey et les Jazz Messengers - Now's The Timeby clearlight603,110 views
- 18:56 The Giuseppi Logan Quartet - Blecker Partitaby Alberto Rainolter5,981 views
- 4:43 Giuseppi Logan, 1966by espdiskofficial15,951 views
- 19:07 Breakdown in Tompkins Square Parkby Israel Branson1,694 views
- 13:48 Endangered Species (Wayne Shorter cover) x2 Esperanza Spalding live 2012 & 2009by a7dana750,856 views
- 12:53 Herbie Hancock - Cantaloupe Island - Live Under The Sky'91by lackofsleeeep45,785 views
- 2:18 Romanian band on Piazza Navona @ Romeby aktivmedia85,515 views