Lawrence Krauss: Teaching Creationism is Child Abuse
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 4, 2013
The last thing we want to do is water down the teaching of biology because some people don't recognize that evolution happened.
Transcript -- It amazes me that people have pre-existing notions that defy the evidence of reality. But that they hold onto them so dearly. And one of them is the notion of creationism, or. in fact, Senator Marco Rubio, who's presumably a reasonably intelligent man and maybe even educated, was asked what's the age of the Earth, and ultimately, either because he actually believed it or he was trying to appeal to some constituency, had to argue that it's a big mystery, that somehow we should teach kids both ideas, that the Earth is 6,000 years old and that it's 4.55 billion years old, which is what it is.
If you think about that, somehow saying that, well, anything goes, we shouldn't offend religious beliefs by requiring kids to know - to understand reality; that's child abuse. And if you think about it, teaching kids - or allowing the notion that the earth is 6,000 years old to be promulgated in schools is like teaching kids that the distance across the United States is 17 feet. That's how big an error it is.
Now you might say, look, a lot of people believe that, so don't we owe it to them to allow their views to be present in school? Well, as I've often said, the purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. Fifty percent of the people in the United States, when we probe them each year with the National Science Foundation, think that the sun goes around the Earth, not that the Earth goes around the sun. When we asked the question - we provide the question: The Earth goes around the sun and takes a year to do it; true or false? Almost every year, 50 percent of the people get that wrong.
Now, does that mean in schools we should allow the anti-Galilean and Copernican idea that the sun goes around the Earth to be taught? Absolutely not. If, in fact, the very fact that people don't know that, and the very fact that enough people are willing to somehow believe that Earth is 6,000 years old, means we have to do a better job of teaching physics and biology, not a worse job.
The last thing we want to do is water down the teaching of biology because some people don't recognize that evolution happened. Evolution is the basis of modern biology and, in fact, if a lot of people don't believe it, it only means we have to do a better job teaching it. So once again, I repeat, the purpose of education is not to validate ignorance, but to overcome it. And to overcome a situation where a United States Senator can speak such manifest nonsense with impunity is vitally important to the healthy future of our society.
Technology and biotechnology will be the basis of our economic future. And if we allow nonsense to be promulgated in the schools, we do a disservice to our students, a disservice to our children, and we're guaranteeing that they will fall behind in a competitive world that depends upon a skilled workforce able to understand and manipulate technology and science.
Directed / Produced by Jonathan Fowler & Elizabeth Rodd
Standard YouTube License
- 6:28 Penn Jillette: Reading the Bible (Or the Koran, Or the Torah) Will Make You an Atheistby Big Think Featured 831,791
- 5:34 Michio Kaku: Is God a Mathematician?by Big Think429,323 views
- 4:58 Charles Murray: Are You a Snob? Take the Test.by Big Think114,794 views
- 6:13 Larry Wall: 5 Programming Languages Everyone Should Knowby Big Think325,842 views
- 4:51 Maria Konnikova: Unclutter Your Brain Attic Like Sherlock Holmesby Big Think98,238 views
- 11:01 Creationists failing at attacking Bill Nyeby JacobBe5302,313 views
- 3:42 Faith-based morality gets Hitchslapped. (Christopher Hitchens)by bdwilson1000347,761 views
- 8:01 Science Refutes God: Lawrence Krauss 12/05/2012by ChristopherHitchslap26,353 views
- 1:33:42 The God Delusionby ScientificUnity575,611 views
- 2:18:05 Belief in God: Prohibitive or Liberating? Lawrence Krauss & Uthman Badar | ANU, April 2012by nahdaproduction91,475 views
- 10:04 Richard Dawkins Interviews Creationist Wendy Wright (Part 1/7)by AtheistPlanet21,371,718 views
- 4:34 Are You a Psychopath? Take the Test.by Big Think1,637,285 views
- 4:14 Jane McGonigal: Truths & Myths in Gamingby Big Think108,302 views
- 1:56:20 Daniel Dennett, Lawrence Krauss and Massimo Pigliucci discuss The Limits Of Science @ Het Denkgelagby het denkgelag24,166 views
- 2:13 Lawrence Krauss on Caveman Common Senseby Big Think76,841 views
- 14:27 Stephen Fry: The Importance of Unbeliefby Big Think466,058 views
- 2:39 Neil deGrasse Tyson: Be Yourselfby Big Think323,330 views
- 50:28 The Big Bang - Lawrence Krauss and Michio Kakuby Muon Ray230,308 views
- 7 videos Play all Bill Nye, Big Thinkby jleinonen1985
- 1:00:39 Q&A - Lawrence Krauss and Christians (Homosexuality, Religion, Science)by nonameisacat113,597 views