From the Earth to the Moon
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Aug 30, 2012
Created using all REAL Moon Footage!
David A. Kring
"From the Earth to the Moon" is a brief, but vivid video and audio recording that Provides an inspirational view of the lunar surface, which humans have not visited since 1972, despite being the best and most accessible place in the solar system to explore the fundamental principles of our origins; Highlights vast portions of the lunar surface that have yet to be explored; and Demonstrates how new images are revealing dramatic details of future landing sites suitable for both robotic and human missions.
The scenes in the video are so dramatic that you may find yourself reaching out to pick up a rock and becoming restless to walk among the lunar peaks. We encourage you to download the HD version of the video (see link below) to fully marvel at this tour of the lunar surface.
The beautiful lunar landscapes captured in the video include exposures of the lunar crust that will reveal, if sampled by future missions, the earliest processes associated with the formation of the Earth-Moon system, the evolution of the Moon through a period with a planet-wide magma ocean, and a subsequent period of intense bombardment that repeatedly modified the surfaces of the Earth, Moon, and all other inner solar system planets. That late period of heavy impact bombardment may have been triggered by a re-arrangement of outer solar system planets. Thus, the Moon is providing details of our own origins, the origins and evolution of all inner solar system planets, and the origin and evolution of outer solar system planets. Moreover, that period of bombardment immediately precedes the earliest isotopic evidence of life on Earth and, thus, may have been involved in the origin and early evolution of life on Earth. Previous missions explored only a tiny portion of the Moon. And current exploration of space from the International Space Station has left us trapped in low Earth orbit. To further understand the planet-altering processes described above and to further develop the technical capabilities needed to explore space, we need to return to the lunar surface. Let's Never Stop Exploring.
"From the Earth to the Moon" is produced from an integrated set of lunar images and topographical measurements. The video is not an animation sequence or artistic rendering of the Moon. Most of the images and topographical data were obtained by the NASA Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), in particular, the NASA Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) and Lunar Orbiter Laser Altimeter (LOLA) teams, and rendered by ourselves, Robert Kooima at Louisiana State University, and the Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio.
Standard YouTube License
- 6:30 The Real Moonby mirco piccioliFeatured 368,190
- 6:52 TRUTH! The Earth does not revolve around the Sun - The exposure of hiding - in April 2012.by myunhauzen74 1,480,839 views
- 10:39 If we had No Moon - P1by KurdstanPlanetarium 667,880 views
- 1:43 If the Moon were replaced with some of our planetsby yetipc1 840,868 views
- 58:56 Do We Really Need the Moon? - BBC Documentary 2011by Wasiq Cheema 740,877 views
- 3:00 ScienceCasts: Did Earth Have Two Moons?by NASAtelevision 243,156 views
- 9:26 From the Earth to the Moon, episode 5: Spider endingby PonThePony 31,295 views
- 7:55 The Real Moon Part IIby mirco piccioli 10,017 views
- 1:32 What If We Detonated a Nuclear Bomb on the Moon?by slatester 420,328 views
- 10:19 If we had No Moon - P3by KurdstanPlanetarium 121,206 views
- 4:08 From the Earth to the Moon - Can We Do This? (Episode 1)by faedra 16,732 views
- 2:00 Lunar Eclipse Viewed From Earth-Moon Line (2011.06.15) [720p]by djxatlanta 7,279 views
- 14:42 Onboard Freedom 7 with Alan Shepardby SpaceOperaFR 14,654 views
- 2:26 World's First HDTV Image Of 'Earth-Rise' Over Moonby asnavas 14,242 views
- 8:30 Space Tourismby scishow 171,314 views
- 4:38 Virgin Galactic Majestic Flight Showreelby virgingalactic 38,082 views
- 24:26 Birth of the Moonby SpaceRip 327,545 views
- 6:43 Physical Science 9.2a - The Earth Moon Sun Systemby Derek Owens 424,344 views
- 21:48 Brian Greene ¿Es nuestro universo el único universo?. TED 2012 Español Subtituladoby radiodread012 6,446 views
- 2:30 All Alone in the Night - Time-lapse footage of the Earth as seen from the ISSby David Peterson 5,485,577 views
- Loading more suggestions...