The Whitehouse Coup (1933) 2 of 3
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 21, 2008
The "Business Plot" (also the Plot Against FDR and the White House Putsch) was an alleged political conspiracy in 1933 wherein wealthy businessmen and corporations plotted a coup détat to overthrow United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt. In 1934, the Business Plot was publicly revealed by retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler testifying to the McCormack-Dickstein Congressional Committee. In his testimony, Butler claimed that a group of men had approached him as part of a plot to overthrow Roosevelt in a military coup. One of the alleged plotters, Gerald MacGuire, vehemently denied any such plot. In their final report, the Congressional committee supported Butler's allegations of the existence of the plot, but no prosecutions or further investigations followed, and the matter was mostly forgotten.
On July 17, 1932, thousands of World War I veterans converged on Washington, D.C., set up tent camps, and demanded immediate payment of bonuses due them according to the Adjusted Service Certificate Law of 1924. This "Bonus Army" was led by Walter W. Waters, a former Army sergeant. The Army was encouraged by an appearance from retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler, who had considerable influence over the veterans, being one of the most popular military figures of the time. A few days after Butler's arrival, President Herbert Hoover ordered the marchers removed, and their camps were destroyed by US Army cavalry troops under the command of General Douglas MacArthur.
Butler, although a self-described Republican, responded by supporting Roosevelt in that year's election.
In a 1995 History Today article Clayton Cramer argued that the devastation of the Great Depression had caused many Americans to question the foundations of liberal democracy. "Many traditionalists, here and in Europe, toyed with the ideas of Fascism and National Socialism; many liberals dallied with Socialism and Communism." Cramer argues that this explains why some American business leaders viewed fascism as a viable system to both preserve their interests and end the economic woes of the Depression.
***audio is available for free using Realplayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/d...
Standard YouTube License
- 29:13 Bush's Grandfather Led Nazi Coup Against White House in 1933by ConspiracyScope 10,948 views
- 9:58 The Whitehouse Coup (1933) 1 of 3by ThisWeekInFascism 79,191 views
- 1:02:03 The Best of George Carlin: Exposing our government and fall of humanity one joke at a timeby BrainFeedCA 249,556 views
- 1:05:16 How Corporations Destroyed American Democracy - Chris Hedges.by PHubb 97,442 views
- 8:24 Smedley Butler Exposes Fascist American Coupby SilverShieldGrp 5,073 views
- 57:12 Smedley Butler's Testimoney At The McCormick-Dickstein Hearing And Media Blackoutby johndcqr 18,853 views
- 9:57 WHO REALLY ARE THE ROTHSCHILD FAMILY?by alexutz199 240,381 views
- 9:09 Major General Smedley D. Butler Expose Fascist Coup in US. (1934)by OccultAgenda 3,035 views
- 8:31 Smedley Butler War IS A Racketby SilverShieldGrp 3,708 views
- 7:11 Mike Connell Killed. Karl Rove Thrilled?by ThisWeekInFascism 32,886 views
- 1:59:30 ZEITGEIST 2: ADDENDUM (FULL MOVIE!) - PLEASE SHAREby ExhumedByScryingEyes 3,155,067 views
- 1:18:36 Chris Hedges: Fight GOP Fascismby Joe Friendly 44,354 views
- 7:01 Jon Stewart Bashes Bush Library: 'The Hard Rock Café Of Catastrophic Policy Decisions'by weirdnews8 9,229 views
- 10:19 Slavery by Consent Pt.2 (Introduction)by Bushwackk 74,145 views
- 9:49 George Carlin on phone, Bluetooth, Answering Machines..by AKP- Andro Rex 21,019 views
- 9:02 Iran Contra Coverup: 6 of 8by ThisWeekInFascism 18,584 views
- 10:04 Slavery by Consent Pt.3 (All 'Capital')by Bushwackk 52,028 views
- 2:17 Smedley Butler excerpt from the movie "The Corporation"by rosc2112 17,360 views
- 9:59 Louis CK honors George Carlinby Bromista5 1,355,218 views
- 9:19 March of the Bonus Army - Part 2by DisabledVeterans 25,055 views
- Loading more suggestions...