Rescue of HMS Bounty during Hurricane Sandy
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 29, 2012
For photos of the rescue crew, visit our Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City Facebook album at the following link: http://goo.gl/mz6t9
PORTSMOUTH, Va. — The Coast Guard rescued 14 people from life rafts in the Atlantic Ocean approximately 90 miles southeast of Hatteras N.C., Monday, and two remain missing.
The 14 people were flown to Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., where they were met by awaiting emergency medical services personnel at approximately 10:15 a.m. with no life threatening injuries.
Crews aboard a C-130 Hercules and an MH-60 Jayhawk are searching for the two missing crewmembers. Crews aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Elm and the Coast Guard Cutter Gallatin are en route to assist with the search.
The vessel is reportedly sunk, but the mast is still visible.
Coast Guard Sector North Carolina initially received a call from the owner of the 180-foot, three mast tall ship, HMS Bounty, saying she had lost communication with the vessel's crew late Sunday evening.
The Coast Guard 5th District command center in Portsmouth subsequently received a signal from the emergency position indicating radio beacon registered to the Bounty, confirming the distress and position.
An aircrew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City launched aboard an HC-130 Hercules aircraft, which later arrived on scene and established communications with the Bounty's crew.
Watchstanders dispatched crews aboard two MH-60 Jayhawk helicopters crew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City.
The first Jayhawk crew arrived on scene at approximately 6:30 a.m. and hoisted five people into the aircraft, and a second helicopter arrived and rescued nine people.
The 16 people donned cold water survival suits and life jackets before launching in two 25-man lifeboats with canopies.
The vessel was reportedly taking on water and without propulsion. On scene weather was reported to be 40 mph winds and 18-foot seas.
Standard YouTube License
- 31:55 The legacy of Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munroby USCGImageryFeatured 6,353
- 2:52 "Your Son is Gone" - Cadence Contest 2012by USCGImagery 9,719 views
- 9:24 Coast Guard Top 10 Rescue Videosby USCGImagery 412,420 views
- 4:43 Coast Guard medevacs man from fishing vessel 45 miles northeast of Oregon Inlet, NCby USCGImagery 12,510 views
- 20:15 It's Just 8 Weeks: Coast Guard Basic Trainingby USCGRecruiting 219,220 views
- 1:45 Coast Guard Response Boat Self-Righting Testby CoastGuardNews 338,202 views
- 7:27 Hurricane Sandy: Super Storm Slams East Coast Statesby ABCNews 1,820,625 views
- 11:35 HAARP Engineering 'FRANKENSTORM' Hurricane Sandy - CAUGHT on SATELLITE and RADAR!!!by revmichellehopkins 609,545 views
- 1:51 HMS Bounty: 17 crew rescued near Hurricane Sandyby IBTimesUK 4,228 views
- 1:41 Gunnery exercise aboard a Coast Guard patrol boatby USCGImagery 7,360 views
- 2:46 Reporters hang on for dear life in Hurricane Sandyby CNN 290,135 views
- 3:04 Hurricane Sandy: A Once-in-a-Generation Stormby ABCNews 694,867 views
- 5:13 Hurricane Sandy Menaces East Coast: Americans on Alert for Rain, Snow, Windby ABCNews 845,902 views
- 4:58 Late Night with Jimmy Fallon Hurricane Sandy Cold Open + Monologueby latenight 919,562 views
- 3:43 Voyager in cyclone Valentinaby crometeo 7,249,992 views
- 0:46 Hurricane Sandy: replica of HMS Bounty abandoned at seaby Euronews 15,948 views
- 1:13 Hurricane Sandyby John Cooke 145,934 views
- 0:48 Raw: Crane Dangles From NYC High-riseby AssociatedPress 100,650 views
- 6:30 President Obama Makes a Statement on Hurricane Sandyby whitehouse 238,908 views
- 2:07 R.I.P. HMS Bounty - Eastport, Maine 2012 Pirate Festivalby Hawk1964 11,595 views
- Loading more suggestions...