GMC Sierra All Terrain HD Concept
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 2, 2011
GMC SIERRA ALL TERRAIN HD CONCEPT TAKES HEAVY-DUTY CAPABILITY TO NEW GROUND
DETROIT -- The GMC Sierra All Terrain HD concept is an exploration of heavy-duty truck capability combined with greater off-road versatility. It is highlighted by a bold exterior design, enhanced all-terrain suspension and premium details expected of a GMC -- all designed to enable greater access to off-road destinations.
The new 2011 Sierra HD underpins the All Terrain HD concept, with a modified, production-based 4WD chassis and the Duramax diesel/Allison 1000 six-speed powertrain. The enhanced suspension and unique body dimensions, including increased ground clearance and wider track, as well as greater approach/departure angles, deliver off-road capability while maintaining HD levels of payload and trailering capacity.
"The Sierra All Terrain HD concept takes GMC's outstanding new HD platform to the next level, marries it to the legendary Duramax diesel/Allison transmission, and provides a heavy-duty expression of GMC's premium All Terrain package," said Lisa Hutchinson, GMC product marketing director. "It delivers the exceptional capabilities of the Sierra HD -- hauling, towing and performance -- and applies them to the toughest driving environments. It's the ultimate professional-grade tool for construction crews, ranchers and adventurers whose activities aren't limited by where the pavement ends."
The Sierra All Terrain HD features a unique five-foot, eight-inch Crew Cab/short box body configuration that supports a wheels-at-the-corners proportion. Shorter in overall length than production Sierra HD models, the concept's dimensions contribute to greater approach/departure angles. Additional off-road elements include:
* Wider, 73-inch (1,853 mm) track for greater stability
* Approximately 3 inches (76 mm) greater ground clearance
* Custom front upper and lower control arms
* Specially constructed Fox off-road shocks with remote fluid reservoirs (integrated in the wheel house liners)
* Front and rear jounce shocks
* Electronic front stabilizer bar disconnection
* 35-inch-tall BFGoodrich KM2 "mud terrain" tires mounted on 20-inch machined aluminum wheels
* Full composite underbody protection.
"The capability-enhancing attributes of the Sierra All Terrain HD build on the already outstanding capabilities offered in the all-new production Sierra HD trucks," said Hutchinson. "Although it is strictly a concept, it is a pretty realistic one."
From every angle, the All Terrain HD looks the part of a dedicated off-road performer, with bold, accentuated features complemented by a wide stance and tall profile.
Streamlined bumpers are designed to enhance approach/departure angles and incorporate frame-mounted recovery hooks -- with integrated skid plates. A large, airflow-optimized grille maximizes cooling in tough conditions, while a forced-induction hood delivers more air to the Duramax diesel engine.
"The design of the All Terrain HD is an expression of its capabilities -- strong, functional and absolutely professional grade," said Carl Zipfel, design manager. "We're excited about the design elements and exploring how they could apply to future GMCs."
Large fender flares stretch away from the body to cover the 35-inch-tall BFGoodrich tires. At the rear, the cargo box features lockable, lighted storage compartments, along with a number of tie-down cleats, including a pair in the bed floor and two on each side of the bed. A non-slip rubber pad is used on the tailgate, while two special compartments inside the cargo box provide access to a 110-volt power outlet and air compressor. A composite bed liner with a unique "circuit board" pattern provides a protective cover for the bed.
Motorized, deployable assist steps for the cab and cargo bed make it easier to enter and exit the All Terrain HD, while maximizing ground clearance during off-road driving. It also incorporates a number of industrial-grade lighting elements to provide greater visibility for safer driving where stars may be the only other source of illumination. The lighting details include:
* High-intensity LED headlamp, taillamp and fog lamp lighting mounted in impact-resistant composite housings and featuring edge-lit illumination
* High-intensity LED park and turn signal lamps
* Smooth-appearance front marker lamps integrated behind the top edge of the windshield glass
* Integrated center high-mounted stop lamp and rear marker lights mounted at the top edge of the rear window glass
* LED floodlights for the cargo bed and assist steps.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:50 All New 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L V8: Everything You've Ever Wanted to Knowby The Fast Lane Truck Featured 37,548
- GMC 400 videos8K
- 7:56 Biggest street legal Ford 350 in Europe 54 inch tires in snow action - Icelandby baddi jezorski2,721,503 views
- 4:05 Extreme Traction-Control Testby Carscom1,962,423 views
- 4:04 Chevy vs. Ford HD Truck - Bed Bend Videoby CarDataVideo1,043,344 views
- 2:22 Ford Atlas Conceptby Cars.com243,535 views
- 6:45 Burnout Contest!by talontsi97 videos870,847 views
- 12:25 Portable Cradle WARN M8000 winch extraction on cradle solo wheeling example in 06 WK Jeep Limitedby 2000ViperGTS47,709 views
- 12:14 Ford Raptor vs Ram Runner! - Head 2 Head Episode 14by MotorTrend5,377,145 views
- 6:53 2014 Ford F-150 Tremor walkaround reviewby Michael Berenis33,602 views
- 11:28 2013 GMC Sierra Denali vs Ram 1500 Pickup 0-60 MPH Mashup Reviewby The Fast Lane Car192,827 views
- 3:35 2015 GMC Sierra Denali HD walkaround reviewby gmtruckclub38,090 views
- 7:21 2014 Toyota Tundra Pickup Debuts at the Chicago Auto Showby The Fast Lane Car280,593 views
- 7:16 2013 GMC Sierra Denali Snowy & Muddy Off-Road Reviewby The Fast Lane Car74,619 views
- 7:38 2014 GMC Sierra: Everything you'd ever want to know about the new trucks interior designby The Fast Lane Car283,206 views
- 12:20 2014 Chevy Silverado First Drive On & Off-Road Reviewby The Fast Lane Car308,992 views
- 11:14 2012 GMC Sierra All Terrain HD Concept $65.000by Christopher Andreu67,251 views
- 1:36 GMC Sierra All Terrain HD Concept at Detroit 2011by auto123437,970 views
- 3:32 Chevy Silverado vs Ford vs Dodge - Acceleration Test #2by CarDataVideo106,959 views
- 2:20 Dodge vs. GMC vs. Nissan at Spring Creekby alexrex203,901,733 views