Reflections on Post-Capitalism, Political Entrepreneurialism, and the Bernanke Contrarian Index
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 30, 2012
Follow us @
Welcome to Capital Account. We've heard billionaire investor Warren Buffett saying the rich should be taxed more. That he should be taxed more. He's mad ethe case very publicly and with much fanfare, that he pays 17.7% in taxes, a lower tax rate than his secretary...and not just his secretary...all of his office staff. Sounds impressive, but our guest today asks if we should slap a warning label on each one of Buffett's public pronouncements as well. Before we get into the matter at hand, let's look back at a little history. Back in 2003, for example, Buffett was warning about the value of the dollar, the nation's debt, and what he said was the US exporting its net worth abroad. He wrote an article warning about this exact issue back in 2003...the famous "squanderville vs. thriftville." The article was titled "America's Growing Trade Deficit is Selling the Nation out from Under us." The US, of course, was Squanderville. Warren Buffett wrote, among other things, that sooner or later the Squanderville government, facing ever greater payments to service debt, would decide to embrace highly inflationary policies -- that is, issue more squander bucks to dilute the value of each. But fast forward to the 2008 financial crisis and Buffett was not worrying about the debt-increasing-bailouts of the financial system; he was advocating for them. Remember how he pushed for TARP? This as the treasury's action plan which Hank Paulson was pushing. This was before it was passed by congress and signed into law by Bush, but AFTER it had failed in the House the first time around. Warren seemed a little flustered during those "free market" hours...
While speaking to Charlie Rose during an interview on October 1st, 2008, Warren Buffet said: I don't know who the next Treasury secretary will be. I would say this -- I would -- they hate this term in Washington, obviously, but I would hand something pretty close to a blank check to a fellow like Hank Paulson...[annexed from a statement made later in the same interview] he's got the interest of the country at heart. That pretty much sums up the crony capitalism that we are talking about. Warren Buffett wanted to give his boy at the treasury and former Goldman alumni Hank Paulson a blank check, so he could bailout his company and everything that Warren invested his money in. Nice. Before TARP was passed, Buffett invested 5 billion dollars to save Goldman Sachs, announced in September of 2008. And then he's out there advocating a bailout for the banks after it fails the first time. A bailout of banks he now has a stake in. What happened to squanderville and the devaluing US dollar? Oh well...
But what is Warren Buffett really trying to achieve with his "tax the rich" pronouncements? Our guest, contributing editor of the daily reckoning, Eric Fry, recently wrote: Warren Buffett has not become a latter-day tax crusader so that he can pay his "fair share"; he has become a crusader so that he can continue plundering his unfair share of tax receipts and crony favoritism. By lending his reputation to the "tax fairness" crusade, Buffett legitimizes the progressive/socialist agendas that tickle the fancy of so many political leaders. As a result, Buffett endears himself to those with the power to advance his financial interests.
We have Eric Fry on the show to expand on his thoughts, and to tell us where, in this post-capitalism America, where pockets of free-market forces may still be at work. One is the housing market.
- 7:29 Peter Schiff on BRICS and the demise of the dollarby RT America Featured 27,319
- 27:53 Nigel Farage on the "EU Titanic" and the "Rebirth of National Socialism in Europe"by CapitalAccount72,946 views
- 27:51 Krugman "Knocked out of Neoclassical Orbit" by Steve Keen's Meteoric Rise!by CapitalAccount38,646 views
- 28:01 Beyond Currency Wars, the Coming Global Gold Standard w/John Butlerby CapitalAccount17,290 views
- 28:00 Marc Faber, "The Ego of Mr. Bernanke has been Badly Inflated"by CapitalAccount25,143 views
- 2:37:55 What The Government Doesn't Want You To Know About Your Drivers Licenseby BelligerentPolitics51,088 views
- 1:22:33 Your Soul Has Been Sold for Gold - Stefan Molyneux of Freedomain Radio Interviewedby Stefan Molyneux9,621 views
- 35:15 crony capitalism : Throw Them All Out : Peter Schweizerby marcchabotyt2,648 views
- 2:12:30 Post-Capitalism - PARECON or a World Without Money?by pfbcarlisle2,653 views
- 1:51:50 Carl Munck - The Codeby TheHallOfRecords748,008 views
- 23:31 Gerald Celente: Total Economic Collapse in Q1 2014by NextNewsNetwork79,606 views
- 18:30 Marc Faber: Manipulation, Goldverbot, Enteignung und Krieg (by DAFChannel3,904 views
- 5:37 Warren Buffett - Can We Trust Goldman Sachs?by WarrenBuffettBlog34,897 views
- 46:22 La Próxima Gran Crisis Economica Mundial 2013 (documental) HDby JL Pizano340,994 views
- 7:58 Lindsey Williams - 3 Things That Will Happen Before The Financial Collapse Takes Place!!by MoneyBags7341,210 views
- 10:38 Economic Collapse March 2014!! (Derivative Meltdown for the New World Order)by Michael turksma181,044 views
- 1:38:54 Understanding the Financial Crisis: Origin and Impact - Elizabeth Warren (2008)by The Film Archives2,748 views
- 2:48 POLICE STATE 2012: Weapons On Police Drones Coming Soonby FederalJacktube614,655 views
- 22:23 Dr. Marc Faber; " World Central Banks Are Going To Bankrupt The World!by Patrick MontesDeOca2,375 views
- 14:15 2012 RON PAUL vs. BEN BERNANKE - 3 Brutal Roundsby pmpowell00194,637 views
- Loading more suggestions...