Bohlen-Pierce "Stick Men" by Elaine Walker
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 12, 2010
I composed "Stick Men" in 1991 in the Bohlen-Pierce Scale, and this is the first time I've performed it from beginning to end! I built these two keyboards especially for this performance at the Bohlen-Pierce Symposium, March 8, 2010. The keyboard I'm playing is a rearranged Roland A-30, and Dan is playing a Korg Poly800 with keys that I specially ordered, sawed, sanded and rearranged. I'll post videos on the making of these keyboards at some point. The hexagon keyboard (Called a "sonome") is the same one that is in my video series on rearranging the keys for the Bohlen-Pierce Scale. I had a deal with C-Thru-Music to keep the keyboard for a while, then give it to Dr. Boulanger of Berklee College of Music. "Dr. B" is performing on it here!
"Stick Men" was directly inspired by Dr Richard Boulanger's "Solemn Song for Evening" movement 2, which he played for composition class in the Music Synthesis Department at Berklee College of music during my undergrad, in 1990.
Performers: Elaine on her BP-tar (Bohlen-pierce scale tuned vertical keyboard), Dr Boulanger on the BP-sonome, Dan Sedgewick on BP-piano, Marji Gere on a BP-tuned violin.
This was performed in the Music Synthesis performance room at 22 The Fenway, room F12, in Boston, MA, on March 8, 2010 for the Bohlen-Pierce Symposium.
- - -
Bohlen-Pierce Scale Symposium, Boston 2010
There has been enough interest lately in the Bohlen-Pierce Scale - a macrotonal musical tuning system based on a 3/1 frame (three times the frequency, called a "tritave", as opposed to the 2/1 "octave") divided by 13 equal steps - that an entire symposium was organized in Boston. It included the support of three major music educational institutions - Berklee College of Music, the Goethe Institute and New England Conservatory. Heinz Bohlen and Max Mathews skyped in at various times. It included three full days of talks and three full nights of music. I will type more information here soon and upload more videos as I get them digitized. Professional cameras were covering the entire symposium. Here I will just upload what I captured on my own camera. This symposium was very overwhelming for me, thinking I was among just a handful of interested BP fans. There were at least 40 people actively involved in this event and many more in the audience! See also: http://bohlen-pierce-conference.org/s...
Standard YouTube License
- 5:23 Bohlen-Pierce "Love Song" by Elaine Walkerby Elaine Walker8,431 views
- 7:16 Ron Sword at Berklee, Bohlen-Pierce Symposium 2010by Elaine Walker3,239 views
- 4:07 Solemn Song by Dr Richard Boulangerby Elaine Walker3,451 views
- 9:52 AXIS for Bohlen-Pierce Scale (Part 4)by Elaine Walker6,082 views
- 5:26 "Frame By Frame" by Adrian Belew Power Trio / Tony Levin's Stick Men at NYC's The Iridium 9/28/11by markbarbour571,090 views
- 4:06 Elaine Walker's Bohlen-Pierce Keyboardsby Elaine Walker3,219 views
- 4:02 Sevish - Mako Haze (Bohlen-Pierce Scale)by sevishmusic3,123 views
- 4:54 Bohlen-Pierce Canonby Kjell Hansen1,975 views
- 4:14 Jon Catler, 12-Tone Ultra Plus guitar demo, PART I, 5/15/10by FreeNoteMusic8,311 views
- 2:52 AXIS for Bohlen-Pierce Scale (Part 3)by Elaine Walker14,605 views
- 5:02 Take 6 - Get Away Jordan Live (ca. 1989)by jibcraip159,345 views
- 6:23 Stick Men - "Red" (King Crimson) Liveby broadaccent44,954 views
- 0:46 Bohlen-Pierce Guitarby SamrFoster5,628 views
- 10:29 Tony Levin Stick men group - Indiscipline (spanish lyrics)by stonegarden712,253 views
- 1:06:52 LONG Playlist of Relaxing Soft Piano Music to Sleep and Studyby Serenity Studio10,710,001 views
- 3:48 ZIA - Space Battle (19-EDO)by MicrotonalRecordsUSA1,030 views
- 14:59 TONY LEVIN Stick Men Argentina 2011by defryche2,740 views
- 3:40 Contrabass Saxophoneby norweigy3,813,175 views
- 9:32 BP2010 Dr Boulanger Lecture (1of2)by Elaine Walker528 views
- 5:21 Stick Men (Tony Levin,Pat Mastelotto,Michael Bernier)-SuperCollider-NAMM 2010 Showby desertblitzkrieg35,544 views
- Loading more suggestions...