Palestinian Freedom Rides
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 8, 2011
Palestinian Freedom Riders to Challenge Segregation By Riding Settler Buses to Jerusalem: 11.15.11
Palestinian activists will reenact the US Civil Rights Movement's Freedom Rides to the American South by boarding segregated Israeli public transportation in the West Bank to travel to occupied East Jerusalem.
Palestinian activists will attempt to board segregated Israeli public transportation headed from inside the West Bank to occupied East Jerusalem in an act of civil disobedience inspired by the Freedom Riders of the U.S. Civil Rights Movement in the 60's.
Fifty years after the U.S. Freedom Riders staged mixed-race bus rides through the roads of the segregated American South, Palestinian Freedom Riders will be asserting their right for liberty and dignity by disrupting the military regime of the Occupation through peaceful civil disobedience.
The Freedom Riders seek to highlight Israel's attempts to illegally sever occupied East Jerusalem from the rest of the West Bank, and the apartheid system that Israel has imposed on Palestinians in the occupied territories.
Several Israeli companies, among them Egged and Veolia, operate dozens of lines that run through the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem, many of them subsidized by the state. They run between different Israeli settlements, connecting them to each other and cities inside Israel. Some lines connecting Jerusalem to other cities inside Israel, such as Eilat and Beit She'an, are also routed to pass through the West Bank.
Israelis suffer almost no limitations on their freedom of movement in the occupied Palestinian territory, and are even allowed to settle in it, contrary to international law. Palestinians, in contrast, are not allowed to enter Israel without procuring a special permit from Israeli authorities. Even Palestinian movement inside the Occupied Territories is heavily restricted, with access to occupied East Jerusalem and some 8% of the West Bank in the border area also forbidden without a similar permit.
While it is not officially forbidden for Palestinians to use Israeli public transportation in the West Bank, these lines are effectively segregated, since many of them pass through Jewish-only settlements, to which Palestinian entry is prohibited by a military decree.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:09 وائل شاب فلسطيني قاوم الإحتلال بالسيف في القدسby ibrahim alshandidyFeatured 79,604
- 1:51:50 Freedom Riders (A Documentary on NonViolent Civil Right Movement in the US)by Socko Pricket 13,583 views
- 7:01 DC students walk out on Michael Oren - GWU April 30, 2012by nourj87 3,364 views
- 5:48 Palestine Freedom Ridersby Sana Kassem 4,777 views
- 8:28 Palestinian Freedom Riders (Part 1 of 4)by PalReportsRamallah 1,197 views
- 5:32 Fredom Rides to Jerusalem 15.11.2011by Anne Paq 7,488 views
- 8:33 Palestinian Freedom Riders (Part 3 of 4)by PalReportsRamallah 569 views
- 3:22 JVP Solidarity with Palestinian Freedom Ridersby bmorejvp 3,736 views
- 6:37 Palestinian Freedom Riders (Part 2 of 4)by PalReportsRamallah 486 views
- 3:01 Freedom Riders Defy Segregration On Israeli Settler Bus Route 15.11.2011 By firstname.lastname@example.org Haitham Khatib 7,249 views
- 5:36 Palestinian Freedom Riders (Part 4 of 4)by PalReportsRamallah 554 views
- 7:33 Documentary: West Bank Road for Israelis Onlyby btselem 7,420 views
- 4:33 6 Palestinian protesters ride Israeli bus to J'Lemby Jerusalem Post Video 5,228 views
- 30:00 Freedom Riders | PBS 2011by counselor2b 24,309 views
- 4:19 Haley Barbour Apology to Freedom Ridersby C-SPAN 4,731 views
- 4:35 Palestinian "Freedom Riders" Challenge Segregationby TheRealNews 4,421 views
- 4:09 PALESTINA-Al-Nakba-15 de mayo de 1948by aliesterar 6,124 views
- 7:11 Occupy Birthright Israel, Un-Occupy Palestineby Media4Movement's channel 38,335 views
- 9:50 Bleeding Palestine - Khilafah the Matter of Timeby Khilafah Movement 1,366 views
- 2:20 Amsterdam Freedom Riders for Free Palestineby Sonja Zimmermann 608 views
- Loading more suggestions...