This video is unavailable.
Nancy Holt's Sun Tunnels : 24 April 2010 : Video by Andi & Lance Olsen
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 20, 2010
Sun Tunnels is located in the Great Basin Desert outside of the town of Lucin, Utah. The work is a product of Holt's interest in the great variation of intensity of the sun in the desert compared to the sun in the city. Holt searched for and found a site which was remote and empty:
"It is a very desolate area, but it is totally accessible, and it can be easily visited, making Sun Tunnels more accessible really than art in museums . . . A work like Sun Tunnels is always accessible . . . Eventually, as many people will see Sun Tunnels as would see many works in a city-in a museum anyway."
The work consists of four massive concrete tunnels (18 feet long and nine feet in diameter), which are arranged in an "X" configuration to total a length of 86 feet. Each tunnel reacts differently to the sun, aligned with the sunrise, sunset, or the summer or winter solstice. Someone visiting the site would see the tunnels immediately with their contrast to the fairly undifferentiated desert landscape. Approaching the work, which can be seen one to one-and-a-half miles away, the viewer's perception of space is questioned as the tunnels change views as a product of their landscape.
The tunnels not only provide a much-needed shelter from the sweltering desert sun, but once inside the dazzling effect of the play of light within the tunnels can be seen. The top of each tunnel has small holes, forming on each, the constellations of Draco, Perseus, Columba, and Capricorn, respectively. The diameters of the holes differ in relation to the magnitude of the stars represented. These holes cast spots of daylight in the dark interiors of the tunnels, which appear almost like stars. Holt has said of the tunnels, "It's an inversion of the sky/ground relationship-bringing the sky down to the earth."
Standard YouTube License
- 8:32 Where in the Utah? Sun Tunnel Expeditionby TruckbeardFeatured 2,741
- 6:29 The Tunnel Peopleby ABCNews 114,405 views
- 9:01 Land art.wmvby Madame Plastique 6,989 views
- 4:52 Sun Tunnel Summer Solstice 2011by canyonraven 1,702 views
- 10:45 desert poncho ground shelterby SOS2054 1,250 views
- 4:16 the worst roofing job in historyby roofrepairspecial 233,243 views
- 3 videos Play all nancy holtby panayiotar
- 10:04 The sculpture diaries Landscape 3 of 5by Creation68 875 views
- 4:39 Great White Shark: Speed Paintingby Nick Hannan MGI 37,729 views
- 4:40 Balladero feat. Jadranka Juras, CE BI, Official video / ČE BI uradni videospotby BalladeroClub 10,430 views
- 2:20 Anthony McCall: Between You and Iby creativetimenewyork 15,413 views
- 5:05 Minimalists and Conceptualists: Richard Long, Jan Dibbetsby Pierre Radulescu 13,209 views
- 1:44 Patrick Dougherty "Diamonds in the Rough" Time Lapseby RichmondTimeLapse 11,422 views
- 5:13 Yves Klein ( Música - Apocalyptica)by anasoprana 24,195 views
- 2:09 AMERICAN ART IN THE 1960s [trailer]by MichaelBlackwoodProd 7,953 views
- 5:18 Land Art.wmvby Sami Estranha 1,892 views
- 1:20 Ships in storm - incredible footage [HD]by schirello 1,249,478 views
- 2:06 Velux Sun Tunnel Plainfield IL Stan's Roofing & Sidingby Stans Roofing and Siding 13,570 views
- 2:22 Richard Serra at MoMA - Band (2006)by MoMAvideos 80,308 views
- 1:43 James Turrell | Art21 | Preview from Season 1 of "Art in the Twenty-First Century" (2001)by Art21 88,215 views
- 3:32 ce ce re re ce Gusttavo lima - balada boa 2012 Ufficial Music SUMMER 2012-2013!by angelinasuper 1,326,901 views
- Loading more suggestions...