- Startups : Gavin Andresen and Amir Taaki, Bitcoin
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 10, 2011
TWiST #140: Bitcoin, with Gavin Andresen and Amir Taaki
What if--instead of whipping out your VISA card--you could pay just as safely and much more anonymously with bitcoin, a growing open-sourced international currency. Never heard of it? Then it's a must you watch this episode of TWiST, where Jason talks to Gavin Andresen, the bitcoin technical lead, and Amir Taaki, founder of BitcoinConsultancy.com about exactly what bitcoin is, how you can use it--and why it will be illegal in under a decade.
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining our new Producer Program at twistlist.co!
1:00-5:00 Welcome and discussion of Forbes article by TJ Walker on Jason as the host of TWiST.
5:00-7:00 Thank you go GoToMeeting for sponsoring the show.
7:00-7:15 Go to TWiSTList.co and choose a level of support that works for you.
7:15-8:00 Bitcoin: Open-source, peer-to-peer currency.
8:00-9:00 Gavin, tell the audience in simple terms, what is bitcoin? (Watch the clip.)
9:00-10:15 You actually lead the open-source project to make this software? When did it start?
10:15-10:45 Is it as simple as installing the software?
10:45-11:15 So if I throw my computer out, my bitcoins go with it?
11:15-13:00 Where did the money come from and how many bitcoins are out there? Are bitcoins backed by silver or some other asset?
13:00-13:30 So I just set my software to generate bitcoins. What now? (Watch the clip.)
13:30-14:15 How long would it take for me to make a bitcoin?
14:15-15:00 What's the current value of the bitcoin?
15:00-15:30 How many bitcoins are there in existence and how many will there be in existence?
15:30-16:45 Amir, you have a biz called BitcoinConsultancy.com. What do you do?
16:45-17:45 You built the exchange software piece of this?
17:45-18:30 If I want to create my own exchange, and I want to charge 1%, I can just use your software for free and set it up?
18:30-19:15 How are people buying bitcoins?
19:15-19:45 What's the largest bitcoin exchange in existence today? Who owns it and how do they make money?
19:45-20:00 Why is it illegitimate?
20:00-23:00 Having an exchange of virtual currencies seems illegal in the US. But how does someone enforce trading laws if bitcoins are invisible?
23:30-24:45 Who is Satoshi, the founder of bitcoin? (Watch the clip.)
24:45-26:30 Gavin's evaluation of Satoshi's involvement.
26:30-27:30 Were they eventually put out of business because it was illegal?
27:30-29:00 Is that as inspiring as having a global currency?
29:00-31:00 So there's a privacy angle here. If I want a consumer product, you don't get to know everything about me, is that the point?
31:00-32:00 In a way, it's taking power away from governments who would manipulate currencies and it's giving consumers protection. Is it impervious to inflation and manipulation?
32:00-33:10 Gavin, are you really the creator of bitcoin?
33:10-35:15 Tyler: Why are you motivated to promote this? How does anyone benefit?
35:15-36:30 Bitcoins are divisible to eight decimal places, so do you see it as a micro-currency?
36:30-37:15 As an investment property, theoretically, bitcoins are going to go up in value and to what pace will that happen? Is this an investment?
37:15-40:15 Ad for Squarespace.
40:15-43:00 Amir, you're a poker player. What are your thoughts on the poker economy and bitcoins?
43:00-43:45 Are people actually playing poker for bitcoins right now? (Betco.in is one site.)
43:45-45:00 Is it hackable? Have people tried? (Watch the clip.)
45:00-46:00 Is this on the radar of any governments yet? Have you been contacted by the FBI or the CIA?
46:00-47:00 How did the CIA contact you? (Bonus fact: Did you know the CIA has a VC arm? It's called In-Q-Tel.)
47:00-48:00 Amir: Regarding regulation, in the beginning, we spoke to lawyers and they hadn't heard anything about bitcoins.
48:00-49:15 Jason's prediction: This will be illegal in the US within 24 months.
49:15-50:45 Have the anonymous guys embraced this yet? If people mess with bitcoin, will anonymous take them out?
50:45-53:00 If bitcoins are made illegal in the US, how difficult does that make it for everyone else?
53:00-54:00 Disussion of the Humble Indie Bundle.
54:00-55:15 Tyler, do you agree that anonymous has a tremendous amount of power?
55:15-56:15 Thank you to both Gavin and Amir.
56:15-57:00 Thank you to all of the TWiST List members and producers.
57:00-58:15 Tyler: Will bitcoin be able to circumvent government attempts to shut it down after it's deemed illegal?
58:15-1:00:00 Let's say the US goes insane and some idiot is in charge and they attempt to block bitcoins. It won't work, am I right?
1:00:00-1:00:30 Thank you to new TWiST List producers.
1:00:30-1:02:15 This is one of the most interesting thing I've seen in my 20 years in the technology business.
1:02:15-1:04:00 Thank you to everyone, guests and sponsors.
1:04:00-1:05:00 Remember to check out Skweal.com.
Next in - Startups: Season 1
- 1:12:20 - Startups - Chris Sacca of Lowercase Capital - TWiST #291by This Week In Startups25,234 views
- 45:33 This Week in Reality TV - Jill and Nikki Weiss-Goldsteinby This Week In Startups37,383 views
- 1:10:49 - Startups - Alex Ljung of SoundCloudby This Week In Startups10,795 views
- 51:01 The Truth About Bitcoinby Stefan Molyneux205,348 views
- 7:20 Confessions Of a BitCoin Scammerby TruthNeverTold57,964 views
- 39:50 Litecoin Mining Tutorial (Part 1)by geekdomo15,072 views
- 34:37 Karen Hudes Predicts Lawlessness when U S Dollar Loses International Currency Statusby Greg Hunter105,007 views
- 59:01 There Will Be No Economic Recovery. Prepare Yourself Accordingly.by Stefan Molyneux524,976 views
- 25:03 Why Men Don't Want To Have Kidsby Stefan Molyneux20,697 views
- 7:42 We're In The Midst of A Global Currency Resetby Martin Brodel2,025 views
- 1:24:33 Max Keiser - Bitcoin, Bernanke & Buffett | London Realby London Real53,465 views
- 55:06 The True Costs of War: Stefan Molyneux of Freedomain Radio speaks at the University of Torontoby Stefan Molyneux16,420 views
- 8:31 Don't Buy Bitcoinsby V for Voluntary Library295,940 views
- 2:05 The million bitcoin question: Can the system be hacked?by This Week In Startups6,437 views
- 1:25:42 This Week in Startups - David Heinemeier Hansson, partner at 37signals and creator of Ruby on Railsby This Week In Startups10,948 views
- 25:49 Keiser Report: Bitcoin Millionaires vs Paper Billionaires (E416)by RT91,929 views
- 6:34 BitCoin The Best Financial Privacy Is Here...Probablyby howtovanish7,414 views
- 22:28 Amir Taaki, Founder of Intersango - Bitcoin, a virtual currencyby LondonNewFinance4,243 views
- 3:11 Who is Satoshi, the mysterious bitcoin founder?by This Week In Startups6,604 views