- Startups - Gavin Andresen and Amir Taaki, Bitcoin
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 10, 2011
TWiST #140: Bitcoin, with Gavin Andresen and Amir Taaki
What if--instead of whipping out your VISA card--you could pay just as safely and much more anonymously with bitcoin, a growing open-sourced international currency. Never heard of it? Then it's a must you watch this episode of TWiST, where Jason talks to Gavin Andresen, the bitcoin technical lead, and Amir Taaki, founder of BitcoinConsultancy.com about exactly what bitcoin is, how you can use it--and why it will be illegal in under a decade.
Support This Week in Startups and independent media by joining our new Producer Program at twistlist.co!
1:00-5:00 Welcome and discussion of Forbes article by TJ Walker on Jason as the host of TWiST.
5:00-7:00 Thank you go GoToMeeting for sponsoring the show.
7:00-7:15 Go to TWiSTList.co and choose a level of support that works for you.
7:15-8:00 Bitcoin: Open-source, peer-to-peer currency.
8:00-9:00 Gavin, tell the audience in simple terms, what is bitcoin? (Watch the clip.)
9:00-10:15 You actually lead the open-source project to make this software? When did it start?
10:15-10:45 Is it as simple as installing the software?
10:45-11:15 So if I throw my computer out, my bitcoins go with it?
11:15-13:00 Where did the money come from and how many bitcoins are out there? Are bitcoins backed by silver or some other asset?
13:00-13:30 So I just set my software to generate bitcoins. What now? (Watch the clip.)
13:30-14:15 How long would it take for me to make a bitcoin?
14:15-15:00 What's the current value of the bitcoin?
15:00-15:30 How many bitcoins are there in existence and how many will there be in existence?
15:30-16:45 Amir, you have a biz called BitcoinConsultancy.com. What do you do?
16:45-17:45 You built the exchange software piece of this?
17:45-18:30 If I want to create my own exchange, and I want to charge 1%, I can just use your software for free and set it up?
18:30-19:15 How are people buying bitcoins?
19:15-19:45 What's the largest bitcoin exchange in existence today? Who owns it and how do they make money?
19:45-20:00 Why is it illegitimate?
20:00-23:00 Having an exchange of virtual currencies seems illegal in the US. But how does someone enforce trading laws if bitcoins are invisible?
23:30-24:45 Who is Satoshi, the founder of bitcoin? (Watch the clip.)
24:45-26:30 Gavin's evaluation of Satoshi's involvement.
26:30-27:30 Were they eventually put out of business because it was illegal?
27:30-29:00 Is that as inspiring as having a global currency?
29:00-31:00 So there's a privacy angle here. If I want a consumer product, you don't get to know everything about me, is that the point?
31:00-32:00 In a way, it's taking power away from governments who would manipulate currencies and it's giving consumers protection. Is it impervious to inflation and manipulation?
32:00-33:10 Gavin, are you really the creator of bitcoin?
33:10-35:15 Tyler: Why are you motivated to promote this? How does anyone benefit?
35:15-36:30 Bitcoins are divisible to eight decimal places, so do you see it as a micro-currency?
36:30-37:15 As an investment property, theoretically, bitcoins are going to go up in value and to what pace will that happen? Is this an investment?
37:15-40:15 Ad for Squarespace.
40:15-43:00 Amir, you're a poker player. What are your thoughts on the poker economy and bitcoins?
43:00-43:45 Are people actually playing poker for bitcoins right now? (Betco.in is one site.)
43:45-45:00 Is it hackable? Have people tried? (Watch the clip.)
45:00-46:00 Is this on the radar of any governments yet? Have you been contacted by the FBI or the CIA?
46:00-47:00 How did the CIA contact you? (Bonus fact: Did you know the CIA has a VC arm? It's called In-Q-Tel.)
47:00-48:00 Amir: Regarding regulation, in the beginning, we spoke to lawyers and they hadn't heard anything about bitcoins.
48:00-49:15 Jason's prediction: This will be illegal in the US within 24 months.
49:15-50:45 Have the anonymous guys embraced this yet? If people mess with bitcoin, will anonymous take them out?
50:45-53:00 If bitcoins are made illegal in the US, how difficult does that make it for everyone else?
53:00-54:00 Disussion of the Humble Indie Bundle.
54:00-55:15 Tyler, do you agree that anonymous has a tremendous amount of power?
55:15-56:15 Thank you to both Gavin and Amir.
56:15-57:00 Thank you to all of the TWiST List members and producers.
57:00-58:15 Tyler: Will bitcoin be able to circumvent government attempts to shut it down after it's deemed illegal?
58:15-1:00:00 Let's say the US goes insane and some idiot is in charge and they attempt to block bitcoins. It won't work, am I right?
1:00:00-1:00:30 Thank you to new TWiST List producers.
1:00:30-1:02:15 This is one of the most interesting thing I've seen in my 20 years in the technology business.
1:02:15-1:04:00 Thank you to everyone, guests and sponsors.
1:04:00-1:05:00 Remember to check out Skweal.com.
Next in - Startups: Season 1 Episodes
- 1:10:49 - Startups - Alex Ljung of SoundCloudby ThisWeekIn 9,279 views
- 1:25:42 This Week in Startups - David Heinemeier Hansson, partner at 37signals and creator of Ruby on Railsby ThisWeekIn 9,604 views
- 3:11 Who is Satoshi, the mysterious bitcoin founder?by ThisWeekIn 6,113 views
- 1:27:59 This Week in Startups - Gabriel Weinberg, Founder of DuckDuckGoby ThisWeekIn 8,188 views
- 8:31 Don't Buy Bitcoinsby Nielsio 227,465 views
- 173 videos Play all Bitcoin Mining Trading Philosophy Monetary System Innovationby lstrah
- Bitcoin 3,536 videos155
- 4:30 What is a Bitcoin?by Ozzy Bitcoin 43,425 views
- 2:43 How To Buy Gas With Bitcoinsby therealplato 43,605 views
- 22:28 Amir Taaki, Founder of Intersango - Bitcoin, a virtual currencyby LondonNewFinance 3,162 views
- 2:05 The million bitcoin question: Can the system be hacked?by ThisWeekIn 6,240 views
- 1:05:18 Bitcoin Explained | TechSNAP 9by jupiterbroadcasting 17,125 views
- 2:54 Jason sets his software to generate bitcoins and Gavin explains why that's a bad ideaby ThisWeekIn 11,558 views
- 58:47 The Bitcoin Show - Episode 001 - Real Plato, The Great American Bitcoin Roadtripby vlogwrap 5,931 views
- 23:13 The Bitcoin phenomenon-On the Edge with Max Keiser-08-05-2011by PressTVGlobalNews 18,608 views
- 58:25 The Bitcoin Show - Episode 033by vlogwrap 16,905 views
- 9:59 Peter Schiff Radio Show with Bitcoin (1st half) (20/06/2011)by NewbWorksDwarven 10,705 views
- 12:22 Introduction to Bitcoinby Factrocks 184,417 views
- 5:37 Bitcoin Mt. Gox FLASH CRASH! Bitcoins at $0.01 Eachby BookofNick 5,634 views
- 1:02:36 Bitcoin - An Analysis [28C3]by CCCen 10,842 views
- 1:11:08 This Week in Startups - Dave McClure, Angel Investor and Founding Partner at 500 StartUpsby ThisWeekIn 6,451 views
- 59:34 The Bitcoin Show - Episode 047by vlogwrap 2,014 views
- Loading more suggestions...