Yao Ming 24 Points vs Blazers Game 1 Playoffs! HD! 18.4.09
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 19, 2009
capped by revgen
PORTLAND, Ore.(AP) Coming out strong against the Trail Blazers was the first step of a very logical progression for Yao Ming.
"Because this was the first game, and also the first couple of minutes of the first game - the first couple of minutes can set the tone for the game, and the first game can set the tone for the series,'' Yao said.
The 7-foot-6 Yao scored nine of Houston's first 11 points and finished with 24 in the Rockets' 108-81 victory over the Trail Blazers on Saturday night. It was the opener of their first-round playoff series.
The Rockets led by as many as 31 points in the second half and there was simply no way the young Blazers could catch up.
Yao scored all of his points in the first half, and added nine rebounds. He hit all nine of his attempts from the field and all six of his free throws.
Portland centers Joel Przybilla and Greg Oden had no answer for the seven-time All-Star from China.
"We tried to play behind him,'' Przybilla said. "So we'll make adjustments for the next game. He hit every shot he took so we got to do something.''
Yao did not attempt a shot in the second half and sat for all of the fourth quarter.
"That's the beauty of Yao - he's incredibly efficient,'' teammate Shane Battier said. "Not many guys in the league are capable of having this kind of night, where he makes every shot he puts up.''
Aaron Brooks added 27 points for the Rockets, who haven't advanced out of the first round of the playoffs since 1997.
Brandon Roy had 21 points for the Blazers in their first playoff appearance since the 2002-03 season. Portland embraced the young team this season, and some 10,000 fans showed up at a downtown rally earlier in the week in support of the team.
On Saturday night, many fans were already headed out the door by the end of the third quarter.
"It's a bad night,'' coach Nate McMillan said. "We lost.''
The loss snapped a six-game winning streak for the Blazers, as well as a six-game winning streak at home. Portland was 34-7 at the Rose Garden during the regular season.
The Blazers beat the Denver Nuggets 104-76 in the final game of the regular season to earn the fourth seed in the postseason.
The Rockets fell 95-84 in the season's final game, dropping them to the fifth seed.
Oden, who sat out of practice Friday because of a sinus infection and was considered a game-time decision, played off the bench and had 15 points and five rebounds.
Oden spent several minutes in coach Nate McMillan's office prior to the game. Afterward, McMillan said, "Looks good. No issues.''
Yao went on to score 14 points by the midway point of the first quarter, giving the Rockets an 18-12 lead. He finished the quarter 7-for-7 from the floor for 16 points.
"He just got going,'' Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "He was on a roll. He was making turnaround jumpers, jump hooks, face-up jumpers. He did everything.''
Houston collectively shot 75 percent in the first quarter, missing only five of 20 shots.
The Rockets extended their lead to 40-26 on Von Wafer's jumper in the second quarter, before going up 58-41 on Ron Artest's layup.
There was a scary moment on the other end when Roy got caught in a tangle of players scrambling for the ball on the floor. Roy sat on the court for several moments, and when his teammates came to his aid, he appeared to mouth "my back.'' But he returned shortly thereafter.
The Rockets led 62-44 at the half. Artest and Brooks each had 13 points in addition to Yao's 24.
Luis Scola's layup put Houston up 80-55 late in the third quarter. Brooks opened the fourth with a 3-pointer that made it 88-58.
Scola finished with 19 points, and Artest had 17.
The Rockets have been without seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady since February, when he underwent season-ending microfracture surgery on his left knee.
"I think it's disappointing that we didn't come out to play from the start,'' Przybilla said. "There's no reason why we shouldn't have come out with the same intensity.''
Standard YouTube License
- 2:51 Yao Ming's Top 10 Plays of his Careerby NBA Featured 2,692,256
- 1:28:07 Year of the Yao: Yao Ming (Basketball Documentary)by AllBasketballUniverse11,739 views
- 14:40 Yao Ming vs Kobe Bryant - NBA Playoffs 2009 - WC Semifinals - Game 1by Mefaltandos pauntrio529,511 views
- 10:01 NBA Rocket Lakers G1S4 3 姚明纯爷们 火箭对湖人第四节结尾 以弱胜强关键时刻by siwayvideo84,545 views
- 8:12 NBA Greatest Duels: Kobe Bryant vs. Yao Ming (2006)by MrPennyccw14,014 views
- 7:14 Yao Ming 38 pts,10 reb,4 blks, season 2005/06 rockets vs pacersby smoki232363,120 views
- 10:14 Yao vs Shaq I (Jan 17, 2003)by aman2k76,471 views
- 7:15 Dwyane Wade Highlights Magic @ Miami Heat 3/18/10by Alexander Ortiz22,696 views
- 7:19 Yao Ming & Tracy McGrady Interviewby djfromserbia6,434 views
- 2:53 Greg Oden vs Yao Ming and Mt.Mutomboby tommyhtc88,090 views
- 7:01 Yao Ming Workout 8/24/2010 - Every Yao Playby clutchfansDOTnet126,983 views
- 6:28 2013/11/14 Jeremy Lin HighLights│Rockets vs. Knicks│by Tina Wang73,489 views
- 0:39 Yao Ming block on Lebron James!!!! [HD]by dvorak6911,129,135 views
- 6:29 Matt Barnes - Rafer Alston & Shaq Fightby NBAVideoProvider2,102,691 views
- 4:47 Shaq vs. Yaoby ld2kVIDEOS1,994,058 views
- 11:54 NBA Basketball - 'More Than a Game' (HD) - Inspirationalby JL Productions732,620 views
- 13:56 HoN Win in 15 minutesby HoserNo0b102,133 views
- 2:58 Jackie Chan Sings War! with Chris Tuckerby JackieChanFan3462,732 views
- 1:38 Rockets vs Blazers Game 1 - Yao 24 pts, 9-for-9 from field - Jalen Rose Analyzesby JalenTV16,899 views
- 1:11 Yao Ming Workout 8/24/2010 -- trash-talking Chuck Hayesby clutchfansDOTnet68,969 views
- Loading more suggestions...