Canadian Caper: 6 Americans escape from Iran with the help from the CIA and the Canadian Embassy.wmv
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 6, 2012
This video was made in 1980 to describe the escape from Iran by 6 Americans who were United States Embassy Employees.
Those Americans who were rescued by Canada through the Canadian Embassy in Tehran are:
Mark Lijek and his wife Cora
Joseph Stafford and his wife Kathleen
The Canadien Ambassador was named Ken Taylor, and what he and his staff at the Embassy did was risk their life to rescue our people, and America owes Canada a great thanks!
Recently, Canadian Immigration offical John Sheardown passed away. He was also one of the Canadian diplomats involved in rescuing Americans, and he and his family have my heartfelt thanks!
Their escape story is now a major motion picture titled, ARGO, and opens in theaters on October 12, 2012.
These Americans escaped while the embassy in Tehran, Iran was being overrun by Iranian communists, students, and religious zealots who were trying to assault the embassy and planned on holding our American dipomats as hostage for a few days. As the assault on the embassy unfolded and the Ayatollah Khomenie approved more and more of the events, our American diplomats and Marine Security guards remained as hostages for 444 days while being tortured to various degrees, beaten, mock executions, and imprisoned with no contact with the outside world except as propaganda.
A brave attempt to rescue our Americans was attempted on April 24-25 1980, but ended tragically in a crash at a location known as Desert One in Iran, an advanced staging area in the Dasht-e-Kavir region of Iran, 200 miles from Teheran.
8 American servicemen died in that crash. Those men are:
Sgt John Harvey, USMC
Cpl George Holmes, USMC
SSgt Dewey Johnson, USMC
Major Harold Bakke, USAF
Major Harold Lewis, USAF
Captain Lyn Macintosh, USAF
TSgt Joel Mayo, USAF
Captain Charles T. Macmillan, USAF
A complete list of the hostages who remained captive and held illegally by Iran can be found here:
Standard YouTube License
- 23:34 El asalto de Teheránby HispanTV Featured 2,914
- 59:05 Argo - A BBC documentary unmasking realities of the Iranian Revolution (part 1).by Ya Qaem Ahlulbayt15,240 views
- 59:02 Imam Khomeini - The Man Who Changed The World | Iran & The West [Part 1/3]by Halomaster7523,884 views
- 42:31 Argo: Inside Storyby xKallmeKillax16,317 views
- 22:34 The true story behind the film 'Argo'by dsivertsenneale29,719 views
- 1:14:58 Four Wives and One Husband - Polygamy in Iran - Documentaryby IranDocumentary1410,932 views
- 3 videos Play all Iran and The West - BBC Documentaryby Joniversity
- 25:22 Iran - Hostages - American Embassy - Thames televisionby ThamesTv45,679 views
- 59:07 History of Modern Iran: A Nuclear Islamic Republic | BBC Documentaryby DocumentaryNation124,020 views
- 28:43 ARGO: Declassified - Available February 19by WarnerBrosOnline26,166 views
- 1:34:52 1980 Presidential Candidate Debate: Governor Ronald Reagan and President Jimmy Carter - 10/28/80by ReaganFoundation365,117 views
- 4:57 Tony Mendez on 'Today Show'by IntlSpyMuseum6,091 views
- 8:02 Homeless Boy Steals The Talent Showby inspirationbygod103,628,699 views
- 5:45 President Carter Fact-Checks the Movie 'Argo'by ForaTv7,711 views
- 15:18 US Embassy Protests and Attacks Bear Some Likeness to the Hostage Crisis in Iran 1979by ruzziduzzi5,003 views
- 10:03 Iran Hostage Crisis 1979 (ABC News Report From 11/11/1979)by ABC News62,574 views
- 4:03 AghaJoon, Tribute to Imam Khomeini by Googoosh گوگوش به امام خمینیby Banou Irani24,244 views
- 10:17 P1/6: The Man Who Changed The World (1/18: Iran & The West - S1/3)by Ali Sanaei398,592 views
- 3:27 Meet the real CIA hero behind ARGO - Tony Mendezby IntlSpyMuseum11,869 views
- 59:03 Iran : Documentary on Iran's Islamic Revolutionby EverybodyGoesFishing2,301 views