Building the Golden Gate Bridge pt1-2 Bethlehem Steel
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 14, 2012
more at http://news.quickfound.net/cities/san...
"Great footage from 1930s of the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge in every phase of construction. Stock shots of completed bridge; informative narration; explanative illustrations illuminate bridges dimensions and other structural aspects of design."
Public domain film from the Library of Congress Prelinger Archive, slightly cropped to remove uneven edges, with the aspect ratio corrected, and mild video noise reduction applied.
The soundtrack was also processed with volume normalization, noise reduction, clipping reduction, and equalization (the resulting sound, though not perfect, is far less noisy than the original).
Split with MKVmerge GUI (part of MKVToolNix), the same freeware (or Avidemux) can recombine the downloaded parts (in mp4 format): http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvt...
part 2: http://youtu.be/sL56vCkajxQ
The Golden Gate Bridge is a suspension bridge spanning the Golden Gate, the opening of the San Francisco Bay into the Pacific Ocean. As part of both U.S. Route 101 and California State Route 1, the structure links the city of San Francisco, on the northern tip of the San Francisco Peninsula, to Marin County. It is one of the most internationally recognized symbols of San Francisco, California, and the United States. It has been declared one of the modern Wonders of the World by the American Society of Civil Engineers. The Frommers travel guide considers the Golden Gate Bridge "possibly the most beautiful, certainly the most photographed, bridge in the world".
Before the bridge was built, the only practical short route between San Francisco and what is now Marin County was by boat across a section of San Francisco Bay. Ferry service began as early as 1820, with regularly scheduled service beginning in the 1840s...
Although the idea of a bridge spanning the Golden Gate was not new, the proposal that eventually took hold was made in a 1916 San Francisco Bulletin article by former engineering student James Wilkins. San Francisco's City Engineer estimated the cost at $100 million, impractical for the time, and fielded the question to bridge engineers of whether it could be built for less. One who responded, Joseph Strauss, was an ambitious but dreamy engineer and poet who had, for his graduate thesis, designed a 55-mile (89 km) long railroad bridge across the Bering Strait. At the time, Strauss had completed some 400 drawbridges—most of which were inland—and nothing on the scale of the new project. Strauss's initial drawings were for a massive cantilever on each side of the strait, connected by a central suspension segment, which Strauss promised could be built for $17 million...
Strauss was chief engineer in charge of overall design and construction of the bridge project. However, because he had little understanding or experience with cable-suspension designs, responsibility for much of the engineering and architecture fell on other experts. Strauss' initial design proposal (two double cantilever spans linked by a central suspension segment) was unacceptable from a visual standpoint. The final graceful suspension design was conceived and championed by New York's Manhattan Bridge designer Leon Moisseiff...
Senior engineer Charles Alton Ellis, collaborating remotely with Moisseiff, was the principal engineer of the project. Moisseiff produced the basic structural design, introducing his "deflection theory" by which a thin, flexible roadway would flex in the wind, greatly reducing stress by transmitting forces via suspension cables to the bridge towers. Although the Golden Gate Bridge design has proved sound, a later Moisseiff design, the original Tacoma Narrows Bridge, collapsed in a strong windstorm soon after it was completed, because of an unexpected aeroelastic flutter...
Construction began on January 5, 1933. The project cost more than $35 million. The Golden Gate Bridge construction project was carried out by the McClintic-Marshall Construction Co., a subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel Corporation, founded by Howard H. McClintic and Charles D. Marshall, both of Lehigh University...
The bridge-opening celebration began on May 27, 1937 and lasted for one week. The day before vehicle traffic was allowed, 200,000 people crossed by foot and roller skate. On opening day, Mayor Angelo Rossi and other officials rode the ferry to Marin, then crossed the bridge in a motorcade past three ceremonial "barriers", the last a blockade of beauty queens who required Joseph Strauss to present the bridge to the Highway District before allowing him to pass...
Standard YouTube License
- 13:40 Building the Golden Gate Bridge pt2-2 Bethlehem Steelby Jeff Quitney6,591 views
- 51:52 Discovery Megabuilders Season Floating Bridgeby Constantinos Vallianatos4,620 views
- 46:58 Impossible Bridges- The Golden Gate Bridgeby HistoryFeed6,406 views
- 27:38 The story of Hoover Damby PublicResourceOrg176,872 views
- 9:37 Mackinac Bridge, Michigan: "The Five Mile Dream" 1958 US Steel Lowell Thomas 10minby Jeff Quitney7,144 views
- 43:33 Extreme Engineering 5x02 World's Biggest Arch Bridgeby john rover111,127 views
- 3:53 Tacoma-Narrows Bridge Construction & Collapse 1940 4minby Jeff Quitney15,724 views
- 8:52 Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge * Best Video * 10.29.2010by Sonny Eklove20,186 views
- 4:13 The Phu My Bridge - Saigon, Vietnam (2007- 2009) - Construction Time Lapseby Othello Khanh191,885 views
- 27 videos Play all Bethlehem Steel Corporationby steelplantmuseumwny
- 22:50 Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge - San Fransisco Bay - Their Constructionby Bel99TV2,319 views
- 26:48 Manufacturing of Chevrolet Cars - 1936 - "Master Hands" - WDTVLIVE42by wdtvlive4263,746 views
- 6:45 STEEL: From Start to Finishby AmericanMfg416,414 views
- 3:09 Worker Safety During Construction of the Golden Gate Bridgeby danieljbmitchell135,970 views
- 7:18 Virtual Tour - Bandra Worli Sea Linkby Anthelion Technology70,806 views
- 33:40 IRONDADDY BROUGHT ME SUPER BRIDGE BUILDING MATERIALSby BILLSTMAXX :)8,081 views
- 26:11 Building the Golden Gate Bridge - Educational Documentaryby Ella's Archives15,872 views
- 9:35 Golden Gate City - 1930's Tour of San Franciscoby Ella's Archives5,520 views
- 5:17 The Golden Gate Bridgeby Saavepro27,253 views
- 26:36 Building The Golden Gate Bridgeby AIRBOYD64,977 views