The Odds of Finding Life and Love | It's Okay to be Smart | PBS Digital Studios
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 11, 2013
Love is a complicated combination of brain chemicals and behavior that scientists are only just beginning to figure out. And it's remarkable that in every society that we have looked at on Earth, romantic love exists. So if love is so universal, and there are 7 billion other people out there looking for it, why can it seem like it's so hard to find?
In this episode, we'll look at what we can learn about the search for love from the search for extraterrestrial life. We'll start with Enrico Fermi's paradox of why we haven't been contacted by any extraterrestrials yet, and then at Frank Drake's equation to estimate the number of civilizations that might exist in our galaxy (updated with current numbers). Finally, we'll meet a young lady named Ann and see if we can calculate how many special someones there might be out there for her. It's a cosmic love story!
References for this episode: http://dft.ba/-4bBW
Have an idea for an episode or an amazing science question you want answered? Leave a comment below!
Tweet at me: @jtotheizzoe
Email me: itsokaytobesmart [at] gmail [dot] com
For more awesome science, check out: http://www.itsokaytobesmart.com
Written and hosted by Joe Hanson
Produced by Painted On Productions (http://www.paintedon.com/)
Clips from this episode:
Carl Sagan - All the -illions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmafy...
Music from this episode:
Johnny Ripper's "Family." http://freemusicarchive.org/music/joh...
Want some more great science?
Here's last week's episode: "Life By The Numbers"
Standard YouTube License
- 4:40 Life by the Numbers | It's Okay to be Smart | PBS Digital Studiosby It's Okay to be SmartFeatured 224,475
- 2:52 Why is the Sky Any Color? | It's Okay to be Smart | PBS Digital Studiosby itsokaytobesmart 93,280 views
- 3:51 We're Mainly Microbe - Meet Your Microbiome | It's Okay to Be Smart | PBS Digital Studiosby itsokaytobesmart 17,471 views
- 4:46 Why Music Moves Us | It's Okay to be Smart | PBS Digital Studiosby itsokaytobesmart 75,263 views
- 52:11 Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawking and Arthur C. Clarke - God, The Universe and Everything Else (1988)by TheScienceFoundation 580,229 views
- 9:35 Is Your Red The Same as My Red?by Vsauce 4,988,073 views
- 32:43 Best UFO Sightings East Coast to West Coast 2013 Live Updates Incredible Video Watch Now!by thirdphaseofmoon 569,914 views
- 17:57 How To Find And Do Work You Love: Scott Dinsmore at TEDxGoldenGatePark (2D)by TEDxTalks 401,729 views
- 6:37 What is Déjà vu?by Vsauce 3,217,358 views
- 27:36 Dr Barbara Fredrickson 'Love - a new lens on the science of thriving' at Young Minds 2012by ThinkandBeHappy 2,774 views
- 16:29 UFO Sightings Whistle Blower Exposes Top Secret Mission To Mars! Project Camelot Explains 2013by thirdphaseofmoon 145,423 views
- 11:39 UFO Sightings in Coloradoby VICE 495,873 views
- 10:18 The Science of Overpopulationby scishow 998,380 views
- 4:51 The Auroras | It's Okay to be Smart | PBS Digital Studiosby itsokaytobesmart 24,369 views
- 45:07 Napoleon PBS Documentary 3 Of 4by Prince Corsica 53,653 views
- 1:42 10 Facts That You Thought Were Trueby BuzzFeedVideo 1,249,263 views
- 7:31 Inside OKCupid: The math of online dating - Christian Rudderby TEDEducation 122,422 views
- 7:03 May 2013 -MAN BEAT TO DEATH By 9 Officers in Bakersfield - Pleads for His Life - Phones Confiscatedby Enterthe5t4rz 1,195 views
- 5:50 Neil deGrasse Tyson on The Drake Equationby startalkradio 8,914 views
- 1:37 Earth set for asteroid close-callby AlJazeeraEnglish 35,876 views
- Loading more suggestions...