Uploaded on Sep 22, 2011
Congressman Cardoza addresses the question of Palestinian statehood. Here is a copy of his remarks:
Cardoza Special Order Statement
UN Resolution on Palestinian Statehood, 9/21/11
• I would like to thank my friend for yielding me this time.
• As you all know, the Palestinian National Authority has submitted to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon a resolution requesting recognition of Palestinian statehood.
• As President Obama said in the speech before the U. N. General Assembly today, the bonds between the United States and Israel are unbreakable, as is our commitment to Israel's security.
• And as I and my Colleagues in Congress expressed earlier this year when we overwhelmingly passed House Resolution 268, the only path to a lasting peace is through direct negotiations between Israel and Palestine that lead to a two-state solution
• Lasting peace will not come by playing destabilizing and damaging political games at the United Nations.
• A unilateral approach to Palestinian statehood will fail at the United Nations.
• It will fail and in failing, it will harm the bilateral negotiation process that is the only way to bring about lasting peace.
• A lasting peace cannot be achieved while a contingent within the Palestinian government does not recognize Israel's right to exist.
• A lasting peace cannot be achieved while rockets are being fired into Israel, threatening her children and her people.
• A lasting peace cannot be achieved while the same group firing those rockets into Israel is actively trying to define Israel's borders so that those rockets would then strike major populated areas.
• Finally, a lasting peace cannot be achieved when one party fundamentally refuses to negotiate the terms of that peace.
• I call upon President Abbas to do what's right for the both the Palestinian and Israeli people and to not put political gamesmanship ahead of peace.
• I call upon him to return to the negotiation table and to give up this spurious and damaging game.
Standard YouTube License