This video is unavailable.
From Scarcity to Abundance--Re-imagining Money: Ellen Brown at TEDxNewWallStreet
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 18, 2012
Ellen Brown is author of Web of Debt, and serves as president of the Public Banking Institute.
Description of Talk:
As a journalist, Ellen's passion for research led her to ask a simple question about where our money and banking come from: Why do we repeat the cycle of privatizing bank profits in the good times, and publicly owning their losses in the bad times? Ellen's answer may surprise you: Throughout history, publicly-owned banks have coined money far cheaper than relying on governments to indebt themselves to private banks through a central bank like the Federal Reserve. Ellen challenges the inevitability and safety of a money system dominated solely by privately-owned banks.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
FAIR USE NOTICE: This Talk may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. In an effort to advance understanding of the subject matter of this Talk in general, and the economics and banking of society in particular, this Talk is being distributed without profit for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material that might otherwise be infringing, as provided for and in accordance with the Fair Use Provision of Title 17, U.S.C. Section 107. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/...
Next in TEDxNewWallStreet - 03/11/2012
- 20:03 TEDxSinCity - Bruce Muzik - The BIG Secret Nobody Wants To Tellby TEDxTalks 140,012 views
- 17:43 TEDxNewWallStreet - Sean Gourley - High frequency trading and the new algorithmic ecosystemby TEDxTalks 24,254 views
- 18:47 Innovation Culture Wars: Joe Lonsdale and Rosco Hill at TEDxNewWallStreetby TEDxTalks 3,398 views
- 7:49 TEDxNewWallStreet - Ami Kassar - 10 Day Pay to Help Small Business' Cash Flowby TEDxTalks 2,459 views
- 18:01 Post-Traumatic Gifted: Moving from Scarcity to Abundance: Russell Redenbaugh at TEDxBendby TEDxTalks 4,708 views
- 22:08 Live the Life of Your Dreams: Sanjeev Lamba at TEDxASBby TEDxTalks 21,106 views
- 15:00 Why you will fail to have a great career: Larry Smith at TEDxUWby TEDxTalks 754,467 views
- 9:47 TEDxEast - James Smith - Comedianby TEDxTalks 8,602 views
- 18:52 Is there scientific proof we can heal ourselves? Lissa Rankin, MD at TEDxAmericanRiviera 2012by TEDxTalks 73,799 views
- 21:13 How should new Wall Street invest in national economies?: Simon Roberts at TEDxNewWallStreetby TEDxTalks 1,543 views
- 12:58 More Banks, Fewer Problems: Scott Shay at TEDxWallStreetby TEDxTalks 1,813 views
- 19:15 TEDxPSU - Sam Richards - A Radical Experiment in Empathyby TEDxTalks 279,422 views
- 18:41 TEDxNewWallStreet - Jacob Soll - Bankers, Public Accounting, and the Invention of Transparencyby TEDxTalks 821 views
- 16:38 Public Education - Are We Under, Over or Just Misspending? Michelle Rhee at TEDxWallStreetby TEDxTalks 6,342 views
- 12:17 TEDxPortland 2012 - Jeb Corliss - Passion Conquers All Fearby TEDxTalks 17,332 views
- 11:16 Algorithms Are Taking Over The World: Christopher Steiner at TEDxOrangeCoastby TEDxTalks 8,019 views
- 17:58 Beyond the Culture of Contest: Michael Karlberg at TEDxInnsbruckby TEDxTalks 5,885 views
- 17:12 TEDxRheinMain - Mercedes Bunz - How algorithms change our societyby TEDxTalks 3,439 views
- 14:49 Song Blogging: Josev Brewer (a.k.a sintax.the.terrific) at TEDxGreenvilleby TEDxTalks 1,377 views