RIP Vaclav Havel | Czechs and Canadians | Communism and Post-Communism | Adam Daniel Mezei VB #322
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 20, 2011
*** UPDATE I make reference to the following clip: http://youtu.be/QX4A2mpJaDo ***
The remainder of this Toronto, Canada week -- until Friday, December 23, 2011's funeral -- will be a fulsome tribute to the late Czech President Vaclav Havel (Václav Havel): a meandering retrospective about his life, his art, his personal politics, his fervent opposition to the evil Communist Czechoslovak regime, and his good plays and other works.
This is a direct response to a comment I received from a Czech Republic-based Friend. In it, she claimed she couldn't find any foreign (i.e. in English) videoblogs she could share with her Czech friends showing how Westerners cared about the late statesman (http://www.youtube.com/comment?lc=ujE...).
To clear the air and for the record: I care DEEPLY.
Today's discussion centers around the historical connection between Canadians and Czechs (and Slovaks!) especially during the 1970s and '80s, about the help Canadians extended to Czechoslovaks during the worst years of Czechoslovak Communism and its ridiculous "normalization" (normalizace) policy, which I explain the video.
Prominent Czechs, like author Josef Skvorecky (Josef Škvorecký) or politician-entrepreneur Otto Jelinek (Canada's former Minister of Youth and Sport in the Mulroney administration -- and watch that "j" there and no flames please against Jelinek and his reputation in Prague!), men who spent the bulk of their productive career years in this country, coming into their own in the nurturing crucible of Canada's democracy.
On the other side, Paul Wilson, of course, is another one of those very prominent personalities in the Czech-Canadian nexus. He was Havel's "semi-official" translator, and if you're anything like me, you'll have taken in the bulk of your Havel-ian ideas through Wilson's sharp Czech to English translations. Wilson, of course, is all-Canadian and presently resides in Northern Ontario.
On the diplomatic front, sadly, there remain intractable difficulties between Czechs and Canadians with the visa situation.
Without delving too deeply into the politics of the matter, what I can say right now is that there are plenty of Czechs who would like to visit our beautiful natural wonder, but can't, due to the silly visa issue. I have a simple suggestion on how to fix the visa issue, but I'll have to leave it for another videoblog. ;-)
And if you liked what you saw today, please "like" the video.
Adam Daniel Mezei, PMD | Producer of Marketing and Distribution
Marketing and Distribution Services for Indie Films and Documentaries
LIKE PMD-For-Hire at:
TWEET PMD-For-Hire at:
JOIN PMD-For-Hire on LinkedIn:
EMAIL PMD-For-Hire at:
SUBSCRIBE to PMD-For-Hire's YouTube channel:
SUBSCRIBE to PMD-For-Hire's Vimeo channel:
SUBSCRIBE ON FLICKR:
UPDATE: If you've enjoyed the materials here, please "like" the page on Facebook (http://facebook.com/producerofmarketi...) and add us to your G+ circles (http://bit.ly/vyvJaM).
Standard YouTube License
- 12:44 RIP Vaclav Havel | Last Will + Testament to the Czechs + Slovaks | Adam Daniel Mezei VB #325by Adam Daniel Mezei279 views
- 8:56 RIP Vaclav Havel | The Number 8 in Czech and Czechoslovak History | Adam Daniel Mezei VB #323by Adam Daniel Mezei403 views
- 6:50 RIP Vaclav Havel -- A Really Nice Guy With No Successor | Adam Daniel Mezei VB #321by Adam Daniel Mezei1,771 views
- 7:43 RIP Vaclav Havel Wouldn't Have Authorized the "Velvet Divorce" | Adam Daniel Mezei VB #324by Adam Daniel Mezei510 views
- 27:11 Czechs in the USA 1by mkczil925 views
- 6:17 Vaclav Havel RIP | Tribute to the Czech Playwright-President | Adam Daniel Mezei VB #320by Adam Daniel Mezei2,510 views
- 6:32:10 Státní Pohřeb Václava Havla - Vaclav Havel's funeralby minhthai91339,650 views
- 1:04:58 AUDIENCE 1990by Petr Vohoska5,554 views
- 27:20 Keeper of the Flameby api102telus400 views
- 15:55 Czechoslovakia Post WW II: Politics, Communist Infiltration, 1948by Jesse Wilinski6,329 views
- 13:05 Smuteční průvod s ostatky prezidenta Václava Havlaby OstravaCzechRepublic19,507 views
- 5:40 New Zealand's "Great Knocking Machine" and National Creativity | Adam Daniel Mezei VB #326by Adam Daniel Mezei150 views
- 11:14 What people in Poland think about Czech, Turkish and Spanish Peopleby micaelasanzverde220,330 views
- 2:31 Adam Daniel Mezei and his Belgrade Cruise -- June 08, 2010 -- "Knez Mihaila" -- Part 1by Adam Daniel Mezei909 views
- 25:41 Josef Skvorecky 1990by api102telus2,138 views
- 6:15 Václav Havel *1936 - 2011†by Ika Ikulin2,190 views
- 1:18 Canadian Prime Minister trying to speak Czechby CZWilbanks1,518 views
- 6:06 Vaclav Havel: The Power of The Penby LunchboxCity1,653 views
- 4:27 Paul Wilson speaks about Vaclav Havelby Al Jazeera English6,425 views
- 13:12 Israelis: Are the Germans of today still responsible for the Holocaust?by Corey Gil-Shuster10,477 views
- Loading more suggestions...