Draghi: 'EU must clarify euro vision'
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 31, 2012
http://www.euronews.com/ European Central Bank President Mario Draghi has urged European leaders to clarify their vision for the euro, saying the ECB cannot fill the policy vacuum.
Draghi told the European Parliament the bloc should act quickly to bring an end to the eurozone debt crisis or risk disaster.
He said: "The next step for our leaders is to clarify what is the vision for a certain number of years from now. I think the sooner this has been specified, the better it is. The next question is how do we substantiate this greater clarity? I think that one first step we could take is.. a banking union."
In his sharpest criticism yet of eurozone leaders' handling of the crisis, Draghi urged they spell out detailed plans for the euro and fiscal cooperation, something he believes will require governments to surrender some of their sovereignty to succeed.
EU leaders' have held a series of summits but have so far failed to convince the financial markets they are on top of the problem.
Draghi's comments will add to growing pressure for dramatic policy action when they meet again next month.
With Spain's teetering banks threatening to drag it into bailout territory, Draghi said a banking union would carry an important message that the bloc is united in supporting its lenders.
Draghi said a banking union in the region would need to be supervised centrally and require the introduction of a European deposit scheme and a central fund that would cope with troubled lenders.
"The financial crisis has heightened risk aversion in a dramatic way," he said.
"I urge all governments to keep this in mind, because it is better to err by too much in the very beginning rather than by too little. In bank recapitalisations, in the assessment of needs by banks, it is better to err on the high side."
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 2:08 Spain's bank bailout plans boost borrowing costsby euronews (in English)416 views
- 0:26 Euro warning from Deutsche Bank's departing Ackermannby euronews (in English)649 views
- 1:04 Facebook faces unfriendly growth numbersby euronews (in English)578 views
- 0:26 Draghi tells Germans ECB action needed for stabilityby euronews (in English)255 views
- 1:12:47 Eurozone Crisis - Sorosby IMPERIALMASSACRATOR5,357 views
- 5:12 9-21-11_ George Soros Predicts Economic Collapse _WE WILL HAVE A DOUBLE-DIP_.mp4by 1618ancients584 views
- 7:06 Bank Runs, EU Gridlock, Fed Money Printing, John Edwards & Moreby Greg Hunter2,765 views
- 3:22 Giulio Tremonti e la lettera di ricatto di Mario Draghi all'Italiaby Francesco Mungo3,129 views
- 9:45 Ecco chi è Mario Draghi e che cosa ha fatto all'Italiaby il punitore46,749 views
- 5:18 Draghi massacrato dalla tv tedesca: è nel vero governo mondiale della Goldman Sachs [Movisol]by byoblu61,766 views
- 3:53 Europe's Banking Union Solution (Portfolio)by STRATFORvideo10,578 views
- 3:10 "I don't trust you one inch" - Godfrey Bloom tells ECB chief Draghiby UKIP MEPs7,661 views
- 3:45 Ireland votes for austerity with EU gun to its headby Worldcrisistoday389 views
- 1:54 Draghi Wants Centralized Control Over EU Banksby The Trumpet Network1,089 views
- 17:15 LE BALLE DI DRAGHI A FRANCOFORTEby byoblu19,596 views
- 11:17 Global Investment Conference - Mario Draghi, President of the European Central Bankby UK Trade & Investment (UKTI)15,603 views
- 9:10 EZB - G30 - die (Un-)Abhängigkeit des Mario Draghi - Goldman Sachs - eine Bank lenkt die Weltby weltenhuepfer3,504 views
- 3:23 Is the Euro Over? Simon Dixon commentsby Simon Dixon805 views
- 2:58 ECCO A COSA SERVIVA LA CRISI. Draghi a Davos: "LA SOVRANITA'? ORA CEDETELA!"by byoblu32,644 views
- 2:34 The EURO crisis simplfiedby galahsaustralia723 views
- Loading more suggestions...