Jan Svankmajer - Meat Love
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 18, 2009
Jan Švankmajer (born 4 September 1934 in Prague) is a Czech surrealist artist. His work spans several media. He is known for his surreal animations and features, which have greatly influenced other artists such as Tim Burton, Terry Gilliam, The Brothers Quay and many others.
Švankmajer has gained a reputation over several decades for his distinctive use of stop-motion technique, and his ability to make surreal, nightmarish and yet somehow funny pictures. He is still making films in Prague at the time of writing.
Švankmajer's trademarks include very exaggerated sounds, often creating a very strange effect in all eating scenes. He often uses very sped-up sequences when people walk and interact. His movies often involve inanimate objects coming alive and being brought to life through stop-motion. Food is a favourite subject and medium. Stop-motion features in most of his work, though his feature films also include live action to varying degrees.
A lot of his movies, like the short film Down to the Cellar, are made from a child's perspective, while at the same time often having a truly disturbing and even aggressive nature. In 1972 the communist authorities banned him from making films, and many of his later films were banned. He was almost unknown in the West until the early 1980s.
Today he is one of the most celebrated animators in the world. His best known works are probably the feature films Alice (1988), Faust (1994), Conspirators of Pleasure (1996), Little Otik (2000) and Lunacy (2005), a surreal comic horror based on the work of Edgar Allan Poe and the Marquis de Sade. Also famous (and much imitated) is the short Dimensions of Dialogue (1982), which shows Arcimboldo-like heads gradually reducing each other to bland copies ("exhaustive discussion"); a clay man and woman who dissolve into one another sexually, then quarrel and reduce themselves to a frenzied, boiling pulp ("passionate discourse"); and two elderly clay heads who extrude various objects on their tongues (toothbrush and toothpaste; shoe and shoelaces, etc.) and use them in every possible combination, sane or otherwise ("factual conversation"). His films have been called "as emotionally haunting as Kafka's stories."
He was married to Eva Švankmajerová, an internationally known surrealist painter, ceramicist and writer until her death in October of 2005. She collaborated on several of his movies including Faust, Otesánek and Alice. They had two children, Veronika and Václav.
Standard YouTube License
- 16:36 Jídlo (FOOD) Jan Svankmajer 1992by ⓅⓁⒶⓈⓉⒾⒸ ⒼⒺⓂⓈFeatured 36,685
- 1:32:14 Jan Svankmajer 1994 Faustby locustsymphony 8,401 views
- 1:22:45 Jan Svankmajer Spiklenci Slasti (COMPLETA)by Acherontia Pie 3,861 views
- 13:21 Jan Svankmajer (1971) - Jabberwocky.aviby Armando Sánchez 10,298 views
- 7:32 Jan Svankmajer - Lunchby tchakon 79,463 views
- Jan Švankmajer 999 videos199
- 2:58 Jan Švankmajer - Dimensions of Dialogue - Music by Federico Albaneseby Federico Albanese 12,186 views
- 9:53 Jan Svankmajer - 1966 - Rakvickarna (Punch and Judy)by Kurt Sorensen 1,278 views
- 6 videos Play all Jan Svankmajer's Conspirators of Pleasureby martinepoppe
- 13:38 The Brothers Quay - The Cabinet of Jan Svankmajer [DivX].aviby Panagiotis Mitsis 7,811 views
- 15:02 地下室の怪by yenlabel 10,025 views
- 9:59 Little Otik - part1-3/4by Yajairathemexican 18,697 views
- 10:42 Jan Svankmajer (1968) - Picnic With Weissmannby asidludwigvicious 48,310 views
- 5:42 breakfastby www.johnnys-arthouse.com 9,081 views
- 3:21 Dialogue between Faust and Memphistoby Hrodnand9 2,815 views
- 7:31 Jan Svankmajer - tma/svetlo/tma (Darkness/Light/Darkness)by David Gallegoz 9,323 views
- 15:09 Edgar Allan Poe, Il pozzo e il pendolo (Jan Švankmajer, Pit the Pendulum and Hope)by MorganaZuccheroNero 8,871 views
- 11:31 The Quay Brothers - Street of crocodiles (re-score)by Callum Minton 4,012 views
- 9:17 Jan Svankmajer - Food Pt:1 (1992)by DorianGamblepxpv 3,128 views
- 9:27 Jan Švankmajer's Faustby johnnyfontaine 82,968 views
- 9:55 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Stagger Lee - San Francisco - April 9th 2013by **brainphreak** 1,414 views
- 7:31 Jan Svankmajer - Darkness Light Darknessby vmrm999 4,757 views
- Loading more suggestions...