The Battle of Athens Tenn 1946
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 16, 2010
This iz one of those moveez that you don't see all the time and is very hard to find. Although a movie the was an true account dated back in 1946. The event is sometimes cited by firearms ownership advocates as an example of the value of the Second Amendment in combating tyranny.
The primary election was held on August 1. To intimidate voters, Mansfield brought in some 200 armed "deputies." GI poll-watchers were beaten almost at once. At about 3 p.m., Tom Gillespie, an African- American voter was told by a sheriff's deputy that he could not vote. Despite being beaten, Gillespie persisted. The enraged deputy shot him. The gunshot drew a crowd. Rumors spread that Gillespie had been shot in the back; he later recovered. Other deputies detained ex-GI poll-watchers in a polling place, as that made the ballot counting "public." A crowd gathered. Sheriff Mansfield told his deputies to disperse the crowd. When the two ex-GIs smashed a big window and escaped, the crowd surged forward. The deputies, with guns drawn, formed a tight half-circle around the front of the polling place. One deputy, "his gun raised high...shouted: 'If you sons of bitches cross this street I'll kill you!'"
Mansfield took the ballot boxes to the jail for counting. The deputies seemed to fear immediate attack by the "people who had just liberated Europe and the South Pacific from two of the most powerful war machines in human history"
Short of firearms and ammunition, the GIs scoured the county to find them. By borrowing keys to the National Guard and State Guard armories, they got three M1 Garand rifles, five .45 semi-automatic pistols and 24 British Enfield rifles. The armories were nearly empty after the war's end. By 8 p.m. a group of GIs and "local boys" headed for the jail but left the back door unguarded to give the jail's defenders an easy way out.
Three GIs alerting passersby to danger were fired on from the jail. Two GIs were wounded. Other GIs returned fire.
Firing subsided after 30 minutes; ammunition ran low and night had fallen. Thick brick walls shielded those inside the jail. Absent radios, the GIs' rifle fire was uncoordinated. "From the hillside fire rose and fell in disorganized cascades. More than anything else, people were simply shooting at the jail"
Several who ventured into the street in front of the jail were wounded. One man inside the jail was badly hurt; he recovered. Most sheriff's deputies wanted to hunker down and await rescue. Governor McCord mobilized the State Guard, perhaps to scare the GIs into withdrawing. The State Guard never went to Athens. McCord may have feared that Guard units filled with ex-GIs might not fire on other ex-GIs.
At about 2 a.m. on August 2, the GIs forced the issue. Men from Meigs County threw dynamite sticks and damaged the jail's porch. The panicked deputies surrendered. GIs quickly secured the building. Paul Cantrell faded into the night, having almost been shot by a GI who knew him, but whose .45 pistol had jammed. Mansfield's deputies were kept overnight in jail for their own safety. Calm soon returned. The GIs posted guards. The rifles borrowed from the armory were cleaned and returned before sunup.
Standard YouTube License
- 22:21 One of America's Most Notorious Militiasby VICE Featured 951,062
- 1:39:33 American Story: The Battle of Athens - 1946 - Athens, Tennessee (Full Movie)by SyncreticOrder5,620 views
- 25:29 The Battle Of Athens 1 of 4by Patriot Justice1,385 views
- 7:05 Dr. Benjamin Carson Wipes The Smile Off Obamas Face At The National Prayer Breakfastby Mat Larson525,873 views
- 1:32 A WARNING TO THE UN FROM ~ THE US MILITIAby helias31456,399 views
- 5:31 Sneak Peek at the American Militia.wmvby Dan S.37,170 views
- 2:46 The Battle Of Athens: Fighting for Liberty, Restoring the Rule of Lawby psychoatty4915,303 views
- 1:38 Wife Calls Cops On Man Preparing For Martial Law In Massachusettsby SaveOurSovereignty3260,762 views
- 0:51 1500 years old Bible Scripts Found In Turkey predicting the message of Islam and worth 20Million €by aymondo807,453 views
- 6:33 What if Steve Jobs didn't exist?by SupremeMindz658 views
- 7:21 Americas Most Wanted - Vampire Cult Segment 1996by misterdesade16,489 views
- 7:22 Ron Paul - Some Big Events Are About To Occurby Illusion of Power415,964 views
- 7:20 Tanya Tucker - America's Most Wantedby miseryandgin7,686 views
- 1:01 UFO sighting caught on tape?! This one *WILL BLOW YOUR MIND AWAY*by 318lions784,168 views
- 24:38 10 Survival Tips that will Get you Killedby TheModernSurvivalist776,385 views
- 10:59 USA Reality - Katrina - Vigilantes Shooting Black Men.(I)by gfde0834,801 views
- 10:54 Retired FBI agent Ted Gunderson tells all - 1/8by TheGerm042081,850 views
- 9:24 HUGE Hackleburg Tornado, April 27, 2011, EF-5 at Athens / Madisonby Admin Rustrod125,561 views
- 5:24 Gun Control - A victims perspective!!!by glocklife207,201 views
- 3:38 The Pledge of Resistance (Mirror)by David Martin357 views
- Loading more suggestions...