The Battle of Athens Tenn 1946
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 16, 2010
This iz one of those moveez that you don't see all the time and is very hard to find. Although a movie the was an true account dated back in 1946. The event is sometimes cited by firearms ownership advocates as an example of the value of the Second Amendment in combating tyranny.
The primary election was held on August 1. To intimidate voters, Mansfield brought in some 200 armed "deputies." GI poll-watchers were beaten almost at once. At about 3 p.m., Tom Gillespie, an African- American voter was told by a sheriff's deputy that he could not vote. Despite being beaten, Gillespie persisted. The enraged deputy shot him. The gunshot drew a crowd. Rumors spread that Gillespie had been shot in the back; he later recovered. Other deputies detained ex-GI poll-watchers in a polling place, as that made the ballot counting "public." A crowd gathered. Sheriff Mansfield told his deputies to disperse the crowd. When the two ex-GIs smashed a big window and escaped, the crowd surged forward. The deputies, with guns drawn, formed a tight half-circle around the front of the polling place. One deputy, "his gun raised high...shouted: 'If you sons of bitches cross this street I'll kill you!'"
Mansfield took the ballot boxes to the jail for counting. The deputies seemed to fear immediate attack by the "people who had just liberated Europe and the South Pacific from two of the most powerful war machines in human history"
Short of firearms and ammunition, the GIs scoured the county to find them. By borrowing keys to the National Guard and State Guard armories, they got three M1 Garand rifles, five .45 semi-automatic pistols and 24 British Enfield rifles. The armories were nearly empty after the war's end. By 8 p.m. a group of GIs and "local boys" headed for the jail but left the back door unguarded to give the jail's defenders an easy way out.
Three GIs alerting passersby to danger were fired on from the jail. Two GIs were wounded. Other GIs returned fire.
Firing subsided after 30 minutes; ammunition ran low and night had fallen. Thick brick walls shielded those inside the jail. Absent radios, the GIs' rifle fire was uncoordinated. "From the hillside fire rose and fell in disorganized cascades. More than anything else, people were simply shooting at the jail"
Several who ventured into the street in front of the jail were wounded. One man inside the jail was badly hurt; he recovered. Most sheriff's deputies wanted to hunker down and await rescue. Governor McCord mobilized the State Guard, perhaps to scare the GIs into withdrawing. The State Guard never went to Athens. McCord may have feared that Guard units filled with ex-GIs might not fire on other ex-GIs.
At about 2 a.m. on August 2, the GIs forced the issue. Men from Meigs County threw dynamite sticks and damaged the jail's porch. The panicked deputies surrendered. GIs quickly secured the building. Paul Cantrell faded into the night, having almost been shot by a GI who knew him, but whose .45 pistol had jammed. Mansfield's deputies were kept overnight in jail for their own safety. Calm soon returned. The GIs posted guards. The rifles borrowed from the armory were cleaned and returned before sunup.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:56 American Militia Commander Tells Congress They Are Running Out Of Timeby TheTruethSeekerFeatured 7,908
- 1:36:12 CIA WhistleBlower Susan Lindauer EXPOSES Everything! "Extreme Prejudice"by amy2x . 995,794 views
- 5:46 Threaten Ted Nugent..... BAD MOVE!by B1u3Dr4g0n1 59,983 views
- 8:20 1945 Just Declassified! 6th Marine Div. Uncensored Film: Okinawa - 4 of 6by UnknownWW2InColor 188,559 views
- 5:31 Sneak Peek at the American Militia.wmvby Dan S. 27,163 views
- 24:38 10 Survival Tips that will Get you Killedby TheModernSurvivalist 614,066 views
- 1:25 Message to the American Militia 2013by ElectSister777 17,079 views
- 59:25 The Night America Trembled 1957 - H.G. Wells' War of the Worldsby lushscreamqueen 23,919 views
- 1:37:45 Directed Energy Technologyby LightEmergence 71,055 views
- 6:33 What if Steve Jobs didn't exist?by SupremeMindz 573 views
- 17:32 "Ahí hay fraude": diputada uruguaya observadora de elecciones presidenciales de Venezuelaby NTN24 36,044 views
- 4:33 The RIGHT Way to Handle a Police Stopby bart40330 2,060,393 views
- 3:25 A British Army Tribute- We Will Remember Themby Dippers85 25,325 views
- 6:55 Remember Athens - Mike Riveroby BoKnowsEntertainment 695 views
- 3:00 Homeowner Forecloses on the BANK!!!by Dexxel 21,030 views
- 7:08 Bluegrass Jam Session 12, Townsend TN, 5-1-10by gingermc2 4,086 views
- 2:32 Voting Fraud in the Malaysian General Election 13th, 5/5/13by mayyan9001 11,457 views
- 44:37 News Beat - 4th March 2013by arslan khan 4,196 views
- 6:05 BATTLE OF ATHENSby Joe Cain 527 views
- 5:24 Gun Control - A victims perspective!!!by glocklife 203,074 views
- Loading more suggestions...