ST LOUIS BLUES VALAIDA SNOW AND WINSTRUP OLESEN DENMARK 1940
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Aug 19, 2009
August 18, 2009
Want to Subscribe?
Sign In or Sign Up now!
Miss Valaida Snow- Queen of the Trumpet, one of the greatest female talents in jazz history. In 1939 Valaida Snow took residence in Denmark, and lived in Copenhagen until the summer 1941. In spite ...
Miss Valaida Snow- Queen of the Trumpet, one of the greatest female talents in jazz history. In 1939 Valaida Snow took residence in Denmark, and lived in Copenhagen until the summer 1941. In spite that Europe was close to begin WW2, she didn't return to USA. She got many freinds in the Danish jazz life in Copenhagen, and was a great inspiration for many Danish jazz musicians. Also she was the last American jazz star to visit Denmark, before the German occupation on April 9th 1940 isolated Denmark from the free World until 1945. In spite of the German Occupation she remained in Copenhagen to continue her career together with her Danish collegaues. Because USA still was neutral, she was allowed to stay in Copenhagen. A few months after the German occupation, she recorded four jazz melodies on 78rpm with Winstrup Olesen's Swing Band and Matadoerne, for the Danish record compagny TONO. The German occupation stopped import of grammophone records from England and USA in 1940, but it didn't effect the Danish musicians. This was the beginning of a special era of European Jazz. The German's didn't interfer in the Danish jazz life until 1944, when it was banned singing in the English language. 1941 showed up, and the political situation in Denmark got worser step by step. The Social Democratic Danish Prime Minister Thorvald Stauning, wanted during the early summer all US. Citizens out of Denmark, before USA maby joined the Allies. Valaida Snow didn't listen to the warnings, and finally she was arrested by the half independent Danish Police, bustered for illegal drugs. She was very lucky that she was deported and escorted by the Danish police to neutral Sweden, and not handed over to the German Gestapo. Sinca many myths have been told about this. On this video I want to tell the truth about what happened, and also give a short description about life in Denmark between 1939-1941, when Valaida Snow was living there. On the sound track you hear one of her four recorings from Copenhagen in 1940. This one is: " I St. Louis Blues" with the Danish saxophonist and band leader Winstrup Olesen. Please, enjoy.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "St. Louis Blues (07-26-40)" on
- 3:30 Valaida Snow - Caravan (Ellington), 1939by 240252Featured 88,176
- 3:21 I can't give you anything but love Valaida Snow Denmark 1940by Mads Nielsen 4,056 views
- 3:11 Desertion. Winstrup Olesen og hans Ambassadeur Orkester. Copenhagen 1937by Mads Nielsen 1,033 views
- 2:20 Valaida Snow - You're Driving Me Crazy (1940)by edmundusrex 9,558 views
- 3:05 After you've gone Svend Asmussen Copenhagen 1940by Mads Nielsen 1,820 views
- 3:20 Valaida Snow - Until The Real Thing Comes Along (1936)by edmundusrex 8,636 views
- 2:54 Valaida Snow - My Heart Belongs To Daddy (Cole Porter), 1939by 240252 93,070 views
- 5 videos Play all Valaida Snowby mb7317
- 5:46 En Karen Jønsson Cocktail. Karen Jønsson. Copenhagen 1938by Mads Nielsen 3,906 views
- 3:15 Charlie Sayles : New York St. Louis - The RAW Harmonica Blues ofby 10wattroadie 1,425 views
- 2:57 Schenk mir dein Herz heute Nachtby HeadHunter131 8,553 views
- 2:44 I love you Svend Asmussen Copenhagen 1940by Mads Nielsen 2,999 views
- 3:13 Too-de-loo. Winstrup Olesen og hans Orkester. Copenhagen 1937.wmvby Mads Nielsen 507 views
- 2:50 Sig kun paa Gensyn Kai Ewans Danse Orkester Denmark 1937by Mads Nielsen 2,535 views
- 4:47 HELEN SHAPIRO - St Louis Bluesby PIGGIE58 11,992 views
- 2:51 Hvorfor er Lykken saa lunefuld. Erik Tuxen's Orkester. Vocal: Karen Jønsson. Denmark 1936by Mads Nielsen 20,920 views
- 3:13 Søde Drømme ( Good-Night Angel ) Svend Asmussen og hans Swing-Quintet Copenhagen 1938by Mads Nielsen 2,592 views
- 3:07 Valaida Snow - Tell me how long the train's been goneby Jake Walk 253 views
- 2:35 Håkan von Eichwald, Diane. Berlin 1939by danishjazz 1,225 views
- 2:19 Lyttervalsen 1932 Teddy Petersen og hans Orkester København 1932by Mads Nielsen 3,203 views
- 2:58 The Multicats - St. louis Blues Boogieby Tonyr67 4,530 views
- Loading more suggestions...