Cummings on Funding for Embassy Security
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 10, 2012
Learn more at http://oversight.house.gov
House Democrats opened Wednesday's House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform hearing by attacking Republicans for cuts to embassy security funding — cuts that only happened thanks to overwhelming support from House Democrats, including House Oversight Committee Ranking Democratic member Rep. Elijah Cummings. In fact, more House Democrats -- 149 of them — voted for the cuts than did House Republicans, of which 147 voted for them.
"We have to examine the funding," Cummings said in his opening statement. "The fact is, since 2011, the House has cut embassy security by hundreds of millions of dollars below the amounts requested by the president. The House has done that. The Senate restored some of these funds but the final amounts were still far below the administration's requests and they were far below the levels we enacted in 2010."
Democratic staff on the Oversight Committee circulated a memo to Democratic members on Tuesday evening, too, that also attacks Republicans along the same line of reasoning.
"Since gaining the majority in 2011, House Republicans have voted to reduce embassy security funding by approximately half a billion dollars below the amounts requested by the Obama Administration," the memo reads. "Although the Senate has been able to restore a small portion of these funds, the final appropriations enacted by Congress in the previous two Fiscal Years have been far below the amounts requested by the Administration for embassy security, and far below the levels enacted in Fiscal Year 2010, the last year Democrats controlled the House."
What Cummings and the Democratic Oversight Committee staff are referring to is the final fiscal year 2012 omnibus appropriations package that included $2.075 billion for the programs -- $567.5 million less than the Obama administration's request.
Cummings and the Democratic staff memo don't mention that Democrats made those cuts into embassy security funding possible.
A spokeswoman for Cummings has not returned a request for comment on the matter.
Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/10/dem...
Standard YouTube License
- 2:14 Obama Confronted on Benghazi - Stutters Through Response!by MichaelSavage4PrezFeatured 59,438
- 9:01 Lt. Col. Wood: "On the Ground Truth" about Security in Libya Before 9/11 Attackby oversightandreform 3,507 views
- 8:16 Former Regional Security Officer Eric Nordstrom: "Libya Attack Will Signal a New Security-Reality"by oversightandreform 2,689 views
- 5:42 Chaffetz: US Security Experts Actually IN Libya Didn't Get Resources They Needed & Asked Forby Oversight and Reform 2,966 views
- 5:11 Obama Administration Must Come Clean to Americans on Security in Benghazi, Libyaby oversightandreform 83,746 views
- 5:59 We Let Down Our Brave US Diplomats in Benghazi, Libya - Rep. Mike Kellyby oversightandreform 3,846 views
- 1:13 LIBYA HEARING: Nordstrom Refuses Oversight Staff, Given Guidelines by Own Agencyby Oversight and Reform 3,591 views
- 3:13:00 Oversight Hearing Part 1 - "The Security Failures of Benghazi"by oversightandreform 26,908 views
- 5:21 Chaffetz: The Truth About Libya Security, Benghazi on US Diplomatsby oversightandreform 939 views
- 6:56 Darrell Issa, Whistleblower Blasts Dem Rep Claiming GOP's Budget Cuts Contributed To Benghazi Deathsby MichaelSavage4Prez - Politics and More... 455 views
- 6:21 Adams: Americans and the Families Affected by Benghazi Terrorist Attack Deserve Answersby oversightandreform 2,144 views
- 1:37 Dem Cummings Attacks GOP and WhistleBlowers in Opening Statements at Benghazi Hearingsby MichaelSavage4Prez 296 views
- 0:21 Dem Congressman at Benghazi Hearing: 'Death Is a Part of Life - 5/8/13by MichaelSavage4Prez 2,814 views
- 5:06 Rep. Burton During the Oversight Committee Hearing On Diplomatic Security in Libya Part 1by CongressmanDanBurton 5,101 views
- 11:41 Benghazi Libya Attack: State Department's Charlene R. Lamb Opening Statementby Oversight and Reform 8,654 views
- 3:57 LIBYA: Cummings on Incompetence of State Dept.by oversightandreform 544 views
- 8:19 Representative Cummings' Hypocrisy at Bengazi-Gate Hearingsby thetruthisoutthere32 319 views
- 7:22 Burton: Why Were Hundreds of Libya Security Incidents Ignored by State Dept before Benghazi?by oversightandreform 1,220 views
- 2:22 Obama Admin Finally Admits ALL The Lies of Events Surrounding Libya Ambassador's Deathby Let Light Shine Out of Darkness 3,068 views
- 3:01 Did Obama Admin Deny Increased Security Requests by US Diplomats in Libya Before Attack?by oversightandreform 725 views
- Loading more suggestions...