Navy - Iranian Boats Provoke Incident in Strait of Hormuz
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 13, 2008
Long Form Video
WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Three U.S. Navy vessels took evasive actions after five Iranian boats buzzed the ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz Jan. 6, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said Jan. 7.
Speaking to Pentagon reporters, Whitman called the Iranian provocation "a serious incident." The fast Iranian boats approached at "distances and speed that showed reckless, dangerous and potentially hostile intent," he said.
The incident lasted about 15 to 20 minutes, he said. The Navy ships were going into the Persian Gulf when the Iranian boats confronted them.
"Small, Iranian fast boats made some aggressive maneuvers against our vessels and indicated some hostile intent," Whitman said. "This required our vessels to issue warnings and conduct some evasive maneuvers. The U.S. Navy vessels were prepared to take appropriate actions, but there was no engagement of the vessels."
He said the speed of the Iranian boats and their distance from the U.S. Navy vessels demonstrated potentially hostile intent. Bridge-to-bridge radio communications between the Iranian vessels and the U.S. Navy ships reinforced this impression, he said.
The U.S. ships were operating in international waters within the Strait of Hormuz and followed all appropriate protocols, Whitman said. The U.S. Navy ships are USS Port Royal (CG 73), USS Hopper (DDG 70) and USS Ingraham (FFG 61).
U.S. warships will take all the precautions needed to safely transit the open waters of the strait, the Pentagon spokesman said.
"This is reckless and dangerous behavior on the part of the Iranian vessels, and it should cease immediately," Whitman added.
Typically, small boats such as these are under command of Iranian Revolutionary Guards, U.S. Navy officials said.
All U.S. warships transiting the open seas are prepared to take action should their ship or crews be threatened, Whitman noted. The U.S. ships "did take appropriate action in terms of maneuvering and communicating, and were prepared to take further action if necessary," he said.
The Defense Department will work with White House and State Department officials to come up with the appropriate way to address the incident with the Iranian government, Whitman said.
Iranian boats took 15 British sailors engaged in United Nations-sanctioned operations in the northern Persian Gulf on March 23.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:30 Navy ship taking "evasive action"by indecorumFeatured 2,757,640
- 5:19 U.S Navy & Iran stand-off in strait of Hormuz - iranian sideby Moghadam Ghahreman 53,722 views
- 5:20 IRGC Video: Strait of Hormuz Cnfrontationby Mario Profaca 8,870 views
- 2:08 Fast military boatby whitepride88 229,594 views
- 4:34 Russian Navy Ships and aircraft In Action(Rammstein-Sonne)by mig3535 236,871 views
- 152 videos Play all Últimaby doblebiax15
- Strait of Hormuz 2,042 videos107
- 1:11 war ship at full speedby boyasaka 428,745 views
- 7:33 Iranian Warships in Waters off Israel's Coast? (2.20.11)by OmniChristianVids3 6,781 views
- 4:43 Russian Navy Ships and Planes in Action(2009)by mig3535 127,290 views
- 4:04 NAVY ships crash at sea Part 1by David Wilson 56,230 views
- 1:00 Navy Action In The 1930s & USS Langleyby militaryvideocom 11,092 views
- 0:50 Iranian gunboats harass U.S. Navyby XtremeBordom 128,253 views
- 0:25 Islamic Republic of Iran Navy during Persian Gulf warby El Cid Al-Moussawi 4,328 views
- 7:50 Modern Irish Navy in Action (Kieran Griffith)by spacemooseireland 26,314 views
- 1:44 SriLanka Navy destroys LTTE arms vessel "Matshusima"by srilankanlion 29,709 views
- 1:51 LCS High Speed Trialsby LockheedMartinVideos 847,293 views
- 1:02 Somali Pirates attacking the wrong ship (French Navy ship lol)by Nitrateking 1,627,072 views
- 6:05 US Navy - ships and submarines. American naval firepower!by GoldComet6 71,885 views
- 1:23 Iran will safeguard Strait of Hormuzby nautphil 7,343 views
- 6:06 US Navy Ship Tourby teejaynumber13 89,489 views
- 10:31 Israelis Become Paranoid About Iranian Warships Near Suez Canalby AfriSynergy 28,629 views
- Loading more suggestions...