Navy - Iranian Boats Provoke Incident in Strait of Hormuz
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 13, 2008
Long Form Video
WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Three U.S. Navy vessels took evasive actions after five Iranian boats buzzed the ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz Jan. 6, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said Jan. 7.
Speaking to Pentagon reporters, Whitman called the Iranian provocation "a serious incident." The fast Iranian boats approached at "distances and speed that showed reckless, dangerous and potentially hostile intent," he said.
The incident lasted about 15 to 20 minutes, he said. The Navy ships were going into the Persian Gulf when the Iranian boats confronted them.
"Small, Iranian fast boats made some aggressive maneuvers against our vessels and indicated some hostile intent," Whitman said. "This required our vessels to issue warnings and conduct some evasive maneuvers. The U.S. Navy vessels were prepared to take appropriate actions, but there was no engagement of the vessels."
He said the speed of the Iranian boats and their distance from the U.S. Navy vessels demonstrated potentially hostile intent. Bridge-to-bridge radio communications between the Iranian vessels and the U.S. Navy ships reinforced this impression, he said.
The U.S. ships were operating in international waters within the Strait of Hormuz and followed all appropriate protocols, Whitman said. The U.S. Navy ships are USS Port Royal (CG 73), USS Hopper (DDG 70) and USS Ingraham (FFG 61).
U.S. warships will take all the precautions needed to safely transit the open waters of the strait, the Pentagon spokesman said.
"This is reckless and dangerous behavior on the part of the Iranian vessels, and it should cease immediately," Whitman added.
Typically, small boats such as these are under command of Iranian Revolutionary Guards, U.S. Navy officials said.
All U.S. warships transiting the open seas are prepared to take action should their ship or crews be threatened, Whitman noted. The U.S. ships "did take appropriate action in terms of maneuvering and communicating, and were prepared to take further action if necessary," he said.
The Defense Department will work with White House and State Department officials to come up with the appropriate way to address the incident with the Iranian government, Whitman said.
Iranian boats took 15 British sailors engaged in United Nations-sanctioned operations in the northern Persian Gulf on March 23.
Standard YouTube License
- 2:30 Navy ship taking "evasive action"by indecorumFeatured 2,751,133
- 5:19 U.S Navy & Iran stand-off in strait of Hormuz - iranian sideby Moghadam Ghahreman 53,722 views
- 2:08 Fast military boatby whitepride88 228,733 views
- 1:11 war ship at full speedby boyasaka 427,829 views
- 5:20 IRGC Video: Strait of Hormuz Cnfrontationby Mario Profaca 8,870 views
- 152 videos Play all Últimaby doblebiax15
- 4:34 Russian Navy Ships and aircraft In Action(Rammstein-Sonne)by mig3535 236,871 views
- 4:04 NAVY ships crash at sea Part 1by David Wilson 56,230 views
- 7:50 Modern Irish Navy in Action (Kieran Griffith)by spacemooseireland 26,314 views
- 1:20 1940 British Minesweepers in Actionby skoblinI 15,111 views
- 4:43 Russian Navy Ships and Planes in Action(2009)by mig3535 127,290 views
- 0:50 Iranian gunboats harass U.S. Navyby XtremeBordom 128,253 views
- 1:23 Iran will safeguard Strait of Hormuzby nautphil 7,343 views
- 0:25 Islamic Republic of Iran Navy during Persian Gulf warby El Cid Al-Moussawi 4,328 views
- 1:44 SriLanka Navy destroys LTTE arms vessel "Matshusima"by srilankanlion 29,709 views
- 6:05 US Navy - ships and submarines. American naval firepower!by GoldComet6 71,167 views
- 6:06 US Navy Ship Tourby teejaynumber13 89,277 views
- 1:51 LCS High Speed Trialsby LockheedMartinVideos 845,840 views
- 5:06 Israeli attack on USS Liberty (US Navy ship)by truthseeker911 896,912 views
- 1:45 US warships head for South China Sea after standoff from Times Onlineby WeAreQuestionDutch 188,957 views
- 1:11 ship to ship communicationby vimto478 4,844 views
- Loading more suggestions...