Rohani calls for support in first TV address
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 16, 2013
A mix of euphoria and relief filled the Tehran air. The long wait was over for Iranians at home and...
euronews, the most watched news channel in Europe
Subscribe for your daily dose of international news, curated and explained:http://eurone.ws/10ZCK4a
Euronews is available in 13 other languages: http://eurone.ws/17moBCU
A mix of euphoria and relief filled the Tehran air. The long wait was over for Iranians at home and abroad. A moderate cleric had been elected.
When the cheers die down Hassan Rohani's victory will be followed by the challenge of repairing the damage done by eight years of growing mistrust between Tehran and the West and to restore a battered economy. Daunting tasks for which he called on the people's help in his first TV address.
"I'm proud that the great people of Iran, the honourable people, thought that I deserve this. They trusted me so that I can begin on the path to serve the country, to enhance people's lives and welfare, and preserve national pride and national interests. I deeply feel that I need your assistance along this path. I need you to be there. I need your cooperation," he said.
But what of support from the West? The UK urged Rohani to "set Iran on a different course for the future". The US talked of engaging directly with Iran
and addressing the international community's concerns about Iran's nuclear programme. Voters have their own hopes as one woman explained
"I'm very grateful that Rohani won the election and that he formed an alliance with Aref. This has absolutely won the votes of the reformists. I hope he can keep his promises, his slogan of restoring wisdom and hope in this country," she said.
Find us on:
Standard YouTube License
- 1:16 Iranians see Rohani win as potential game-changerby euronews (in English)4,249 views
- 1:04 Iran's Rohani promises 'transparency' but no end to nuclear programmeby euronews (in English)3,092 views
- 1:20 Iranians celebrate Rouhani's win, 'a victory for moderation'by euronews (in English)1,945 views
- 0:46 Political protest brings sudden end to Rohani's first press conferenceby euronews (in English)2,403 views
- 40:12 Part 2/2 of new Iranian president Hasan Rohani press conference obn Monday 17 Juneby Lenziran Newsvideo16,145 views
- 26:03 Iran's president-elect policiesby PressTVGlobalNews2,042 views
- 21:52 Debate: Iranians elect Dr Hassan Rohani as presidentby PressTVGlobalNews1,845 views
- 27:33 Hassan Rohani speech in United Nation General Assembly (Farsi)by AussieNews1515 views
- 5:00 Iran: everyday life in Tehran - FOCUS - 06/14/2013by FRANCE 24 English91,245 views
- 4:04 Iran President Gives Reporter History Lesson He'll Never Forget (English Translation)by MMEMonitorMideast20,833 views
- 8:10 Hassan Rohani's First TV message to people after victory in the electionby IranResanehChannel14,427 views
- 5:30 Tehran Nightlifeby PressTVGlobalNews93,931 views
- 1:58 Who is Dr Hassan Rohani?by PressTVGlobalNews24,574 views
- 14:03 Interesantes palabras del presidente de Iran. La versión que los gringos ocultan.by UnidadCivicaCuitzeo48,575 views
- 2:35 Hassan Rohani, Iran's President Electby PressTVGlobalNews7,294 views
- 55:23 Raw: Hassan Rouhani full interview with Amanpourby CNN66,125 views
- 25:27 Debate: Iran's presidential election 2013by PressTVGlobalNews3,603 views
- 8:10 Hasan Rohani dispute with Bagher Ghalibaf : I am jusist , not colonel !by Lenziran Newsvideo16,553 views
- 1:00 (English subs) Former president Khatami officially endorses Rouhaniby President Rouhani1,931 views
- 33:49 '9/11 was an inside job': Full speech by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at UNby RT950,164 views
- Loading more suggestions...